PDA

View Full Version : Nippers Operation Today

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 13:57
Hi Folks Nipper has a bad hematoma in one of her ears it's got really bad so she has gone in for a operation she is just turned 10 so she should be ok but you can help but worry. So wish her well for today please and to keep me calm to. :) I haven't posted a pic yet but will have a go right now. Trying another pic still haven't got to grips with this type of transfer!

pulisa
18-04-18, 14:08
Best wishes for Nipper, Dave! I know how worrying it is when you are just waiting for news that all has gone smoothly! Hope you will soon be reunited with Nipper and that she's comfortable and haematoma-free!

Let us know when she's back home safely! Hope it wasn't too expensive (but worth it whatever the cost!)

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 14:18
Thanks Pulisa Have a look at image 0001 just uploaded it as a clickable link forgot how to get it to display as pic in my post it's going to be about £250 :eek: ATB

Buster70
18-04-18, 14:49
Hope all goes ok with her today , she looks like my old dog I lost two years ago today , brindle with white bib , she also looks like our daughters dog that's moved in with us , it was not a huge opp so shouldn't be a problem but we worry anyway , soon be home looking sorry for herself .
Get a better pic up so we can have a better look .
Take care chap :)

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 15:03
Hope all goes ok with her today , she looks like my old dog I lost two years ago today , brindle with white bib , she also looks like our daughters dog that's moved in with us , it was not a huge opp so shouldn't be a problem but we worry anyway , soon be home looking sorry for herself .
Get a better pic up so we can have a better look .
Take care chap :) Thanks Buster a lot do have the white bib on the chest it seems common and my vet charges by the min so rounding up charges to the nearest hr only took 20 mins to do op even better a nurse in the vets practice has done the op under schedule 3 which allows nurses within a practice to do certain ops where the animal is not opened up like a internal op might be. so the cost should be lower cause it's nurse doing it as against a vet. I have uploaded another pic IMG001 take a look at the cute factor. ATB

BikerMatt
18-04-18, 15:38
Good luck to Nipper:yesyes: she'll be fine Dave!!! She might give you the cold shoulder for sending her to the place pets hate though!!!

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

When one of my cats was about one, she got up on the kitchen surface (no they're not allowed) got a map pin out of the cork board and swollowed it. £438 it cost!! It's a figure i will never forget!!!!:doh:

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 17:22
Good luck to Nipper:yesyes: she'll be fine Dave!!! She might give you the cold shoulder for sending her to the place pets hate though!!!

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

When one of my cats was about one, she got up on the kitchen surface (no they're not allowed) got a map pin out of the cork board and swollowed it. £438 it cost!! It's a figure i will never forget!!!!:doh: Thx Matt well with the Buster Collar fitted that's a double whammy :ohmy: Ouch that is a lot to pay out. If you do need to visit your vets again ask if the nurse can carry out what ever is needed I was offered that choice and dint have to ask so that has brought the cost down a lot ;) They have called me to say its gone ok and she is waking up as I speak:shades: Thx again appreciated. ATB

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Going to pick her up now it's a fair walk to get down there ATB

BikerMatt
18-04-18, 17:49
Thx Matt well with the Buster Collar fitted that's a double whammy :ohmy: Ouch that is a lot to pay out. If you do need to visit your vets again ask if the nurse can carry out what ever is needed I was offered that choice and dint have to ask so that has brought the cost down a lot ;) They have called me to say its gone ok and she is waking up as I speak:shades: Thx again appreciated. ATB

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Going to pick her up now it's a fair walk to get down there ATB

Bless her!!! GLAD she's all good!!!

It had to be the vet. My partner phoned me up at work in a panic when she did it, she doesn't drive so i left work and we went straight to the vet. He said no she would not have swollowed a map pin. After the vet took an Xray, there it was lodged at the top of her stomach. She had to be cut open and had an overnight stay:doh::doh:

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 20:46
Bless her!!! GLAD she's all good!!!

It had to be the vet. My partner phoned me up at work in a panic when she did it, she doesn't drive so i left work and we went straight to the vet. He said no she would not have swollowed a map pin. After the vet took an Xray, there it was lodged at the top of her stomach. She had to be cut open and had an overnight stay:doh::doh: Yes we walked backed stopped talking to a few people on the way back as she looks funny with buster collar on only just got home lol so done some walking and tired now lol Not good Matt best to keep those pins in a draw or cupboard ;) that was a costly trip to the vets, mine was in total £315 and that includes after care and other meds too so not too bad, yes she is gem of a dog Matt ATB

pulisa
18-04-18, 20:57
So glad that she's home safe and sound!

Catherine S
18-04-18, 22:07
There's always something to worry about isn't there, but i'm glad all went well Dave, she looks like a beaut' in the pic bless her :D

Cath x

Bigboyuk
18-04-18, 22:33
So glad that she's home safe and sound! Thx I am glad too:shades: ATB

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

There's always something to worry about isn't there, but i'm glad all went well Dave, she looks like a beaut' in the pic bless her :D

Cath x There is Cath, and quite a bit cheaper than the vet would have charged she is a beaut and a really friendly loyal companion to boot :) Thx ATB

MyNameIsTerry
19-04-18, 04:53
Glad she's well, Dave. Anyone would be worried about them, just going in there and them being worried being away from home makes you worry.

So, is it lampshade, baby sock and sad eyes?

Lots of love for a while should sort her out? :woof:biggrin:

Interesting to hear about the nurse too. Never heard that before so worth knowing for the future.

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 08:18
Glad she's well, Dave. Anyone would be worried about them, just going in there and them being worried being away from home makes you worry.

So, is it lampshade, baby sock and sad eyes?

Lots of love for a while should sort her out? :woof:biggrin:

Interesting to hear about the nurse too. Never heard that before so worth knowing for the future. Thx Terry, now 10 days with this Buster collar on, yes it is poor girl, but she is robust. The Nurse said she will eat ok with the collar on I don't think so this will be a mither for the next 10 days as the rim of the buster collar touches the food/water bowl. Yes love and cuddles :) ATB

Phuzella
19-04-18, 08:39
Give her a cuddle from me :)

Elen
19-04-18, 08:50
Glad that she is home safe and sound. I am a nightmare to my vets if my dog has to get anything done.

To be honest if you are with her and able to stop here scratching at the wound I would leave the collar off and only use it when she is unsupervised.

It depends on the dog but sometimes just covering the wound is enough to dissuade them for bothering it.

When Chance had his big opp he couldn't cope with the collar and neither could the rest of us, he was so good that a t shirt was enough to keep the wound clean and out of immediate reach.

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 10:25
Give her a cuddle from me :) I Will Phuzella :) Thx ATB

Lola-Lee
19-04-18, 10:26
Give her a cuddle from me :)

And a big cuddle from me,Dave.:hugs:

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 11:46
Glad that she is home safe and sound. I am a nightmare to my vets if my dog has to get anything done.

To be honest if you are with her and able to stop here scratching at the wound I would leave the collar off and only use it when she is unsupervised.

It depends on the dog but sometimes just covering the wound is enough to dissuade them for bothering it.

When Chance had his big opp he couldn't cope with the collar and neither could the rest of us, he was so good that a t shirt was enough to keep the wound clean and out of immediate reach. Thx Elen I am not that bad as she had a hematoma a few years back it's just a mither and can stress me out obviously at 10 years old was a tad worried about the anaesthetic but there was 3 looking after her while the op was taking place. She isn't eating though 10 days of this will seem like a life time :eek: ATB

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Had to take the collar off so she could eat the nurse said the collar is designed so she can eat with it on, she did try but it didn't work so I took it off she hasn't drunk any water so far its a pain and she is curled up on the chair with me leaning on me ;) ATB

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

And a big cuddle from me,Dave.:hugs:Done for both of you and thx ATB

Elen
19-04-18, 11:47
Bless her, I have never heard of a dog managing to eat properly with a buster collar on.

Hope she decides to drink soon. At least she is wanting cuddles.

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 11:58
Bless her, I have never heard of a dog managing to eat properly with a buster collar on.

Hope she decides to drink soon. At least she is wanting cuddles. Thx. No so will take it off when I feed her it's less stressful for me and her:yesyes: She has to have 2 antibiotic tabs 1 in the morning and 1 at night, and some Metcam in her food once a day A staffy always will accept cuddles there was a staffy pup in the vets the other day so cute and was all over me wouldn't stop licking ha ha :) She has drunk quite a bit of water now so feel happier too ATB

BikerMatt
19-04-18, 16:08
Yes we walked backed stopped talking to a few people on the way back as she looks funny with buster collar on only just got home lol so done some walking and tired now lol Not good Matt best to keep those pins in a draw or cupboard ;) that was a costly trip to the vets, mine was in total £315 and that includes after care and other meds too so not too bad, yes she is gem of a dog Matt ATB

Worth every penny though Dave:)

I was watched something once, it was about a family who owned a springer spaniel with a skin condition and it had cost them 10 grand in vet bills.

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 16:16
Worth every penny though Dave:)

I was watched something once, it was about a family who owned a springer spaniel with a skin condition and it had cost them 10 grand in vet bills. Matt yes for sure.That puts my and your vets bill in to prespective doesn't it. But that is way OTT and makes me think they either didn't know what was causing it or they milked it, which the latter is never justified imho
ATB

BikerMatt
19-04-18, 16:40
Matt yes for sure.That puts my and your vets bill in to prespective doesn't it. But that is way OTT and makes me think they either didn't know what was causing it or they milked it, which the latter is never justified imho
ATB

It was a while ago that i saw the programme, but it was genuine. The poor dog needed regular treatment.

KK77
19-04-18, 17:29
Glad your Nipper is home and hope she recovers soon, matey :shades:

Magic
19-04-18, 21:14
Hi BB. Give your Nipper a hug from me too:hugs:x

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 21:41
Hi BB. Give your Nipper a hug from me too:hugs:xHi Magic I will have to start charging for these lol Yes course I will X ATB

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

Glad your Nipper is home and hope she recovers soon, matey :shades: Thx cmrd KK appreciate it hope you saw her pic ;) ATB

Buster70
19-04-18, 21:48
Hi there , glad the pooch is doing ok , those bloody head cones never stayed on our dogs for more than an hour they've hated them but we have been lucky in that ours have been ok with wounds and weren't left alone .
I'm dreading when the time comes to visit the vets we've got to find a new one after last time , we had so much trouble with the vets we got solicitors letters to tell us not to contact them :D
They told us £700 to remove a leg because of a tumour 12 hours of no contact and they said it took longer so it was £3000 , he only lived 3 weeks because the cancer had spread but they didn't check , the whole thing was a nightmare , if you find a good vet you trust stick with them .
We've made the decision on our older one (shes eleven ) that she won't have any big opps , she's got a few lumps that we get checked out every so often but as long as she's happy and still going out then all good , when the time comes with her we will decide what's best not a money grabbing vet .
Had a really nice time out with them tonight three dogs down the nature reserve cooling off in the lake :)

Bigboyuk
19-04-18, 22:08
Hi there , glad the pooch is doing ok , those bloody head cones never stayed on our dogs for more than an hour they've hated them but we have been lucky in that ours have been ok with wounds and weren't left alone .
I'm dreading when the time comes to visit the vets we've got to find a new one after last time , we had so much trouble with the vets we got solicitors letters to tell us not to contact them :D
They told us £700 to remove a leg because of a tumour 12 hours of no contact and they said it took longer so it was £3000 , he only lived 3 weeks because the cancer had spread but they didn't check , the whole thing was a nightmare , if you find a good vet you trust stick with them .
We've made the decision on our older one (shes eleven ) that she won't have any big opps , she's got a few lumps that we get checked out every so often but as long as she's happy and still going out then all good , when the time comes with her we will decide what's best not a money grabbing vet .
Had a really nice time out with them tonight three dogs down the nature reserve cooling off in the lake :) Thx Buster well my vets are good the only thing I wasn't happy about was the way the fastened the buster collar on they used some flat linen, I said no she will try and get the cone off and suggested her normal collar should be threaded through the loops of the Buster collar so they was fine with that only 9 days to go and the collar can be removed:yesyes:

Yes good idea to change your vets as your vets leave a lot to be desired was you insured? I believe it's always best to have some sort of insurance as you never know when you might need it I use the Crofts Vets in 'castle ATB

Buster70
20-04-18, 14:17
Thx Buster well my vets are good the only thing I wasn't happy about was the way the fastened the buster collar on they used some flat linen, I said no she will try and get the cone off and suggested her normal collar should be threaded through the loops of the Buster collar so they was fine with that only 9 days to go and the collar can be removed:yesyes:

Yes good idea to change your vets as your vets leave a lot to be desired was you insured? I believe it's always best to have some sort of insurance as you never know when you might need it I use the Crofts Vets in 'castle ATB

No we weren't insured , the amount you pay on older dogs can make it pointless and the first question vets ask is do you have insurance if yes they bump up the price and will try and talk you into having opps with little chance of the pet surviving more than a couple of months , believe me we couldn't go back to that vets , we made a complaint to the Royal college or vets and they now have two strikes against them plus we put the whole storey in the local paper and on face book , when the RCV got involved they lied to cover their arses , it turned out an inexperienced agency surgeon did the op so it took her four hours instead of 40 mins , she also noticed the cancer had spread but didn't ring us to ask if wanted to continue, they just carried on to cash in , had we known it had spread we would have said put him to sleep while he's under , they also lied saying they gave us the choice to have him Pts which was quite the opposite.
He was my first full term dog we looked after him for 11 years after rescuing him from abuse , they looked after him for one day and made the end of his life horrendous, he died in pain on the floor with me at home .
I have learned a lot from the experience about a pets end of life , nobody knows your pet like you do .
Hope you have many more years with her .:)

Bigboyuk
20-04-18, 14:58
No we weren't insured , the amount you pay on older dogs can make it pointless and the first question vets ask is do you have insurance if yes they bump up the price and will try and talk you into having opps with little chance of the pet surviving more than a couple of months , believe me we couldn't go back to that vets , we made a complaint to the Royal college or vets and they now have two strikes against them plus we put the whole storey in the local paper and on face book , when the RCV got involved they lied to cover their arses , it turned out an inexperienced agency surgeon did the op so it took her four hours instead of 40 mins , she also noticed the cancer had spread but didn't ring us to ask if wanted to continue, they just carried on to cash in , had we known it had spread we would have said put him to sleep while he's under , they also lied saying they gave us the choice to have him Pts which was quite the opposite.
He was my first full term dog we looked after him for 11 years after rescuing him from abuse , they looked after him for one day and made the end of his life horrendous, he died in pain on the floor with me at home .
I have learned a lot from the experience about a pets end of life , nobody knows your pet like you do .
Hope you have many more years with her .:) Yes guess it's pro's v cons but as a dog gets older there can be problems, I am sorry you have had bad experiences with your vet, Truly horrendous Buster I know it would not bring your dog back but I would fight your corner, as you say they already had 2 strikes 1 more and that's it. Nipper is now eating and drinking normally now have had to take the collar off while she eats and drinks and I leave it off for a while after and she doesn't seems phased by her stitched up ear but if I have to go out the buster collar is put back just in case ;)Another good vets to go to is Hazel Blakeman's in the Meir they are really good and will only do what is necessary and not add stuff on, they are a charity but you don't have to be on any benefit to get their help so if you drive it may be worth looking in to!! Peace to you my friend:) ATB