PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on bad cipralex reaction

mrblobby
17-07-07, 01:59
Hi,
I had been taking daily anti-depressants (Cipralex) and tranquilizers (Diazepam) for 25+ years.

A year and a half ago I had to have a heart bypass... Foolishly or not I decided to stop taking them. Just woke up and along with drinking and smoking stopped the lot. Aghhhhhhhhhhh

Phsycologically I have coped really very well with no real problems. However the past few weeks I have been feeling depressed and the Doctor advised me to take the Cipralex again.
I wasn't that happy as I had done so well in coming off them but anyway I did as advised and had 10mg on the Mon and 10mg on the Tues.

That afternoon I started to feel uneasy, a little later I felt really nervous then completely scared and panicky. I couldn't even answer the phone. I sat there for 3 hours frightened stiff with my eyes closed and when it did ease off a little I went to bed.

I took no more tablets and 3 day later felt somewhat normal.

My question is: " Do you think that it was a reaction to the Cipralex or was the panic attack brought on by myself"?

I have suffered panic attacks many years ago but nothing on that scale and I was not thinking negatively about the tablets. I have had no attacks in the past year an a half since stopping the medications.

Was it a reaction to the medication?

Can cipralex cause that level of anxiety because it could certainly answer a lot of questions?

I really am in a dilemma as wether to start taking medications again as I think I did so well to come through it all. But I really am feeling depressed and not coping very well.

I am going to see my gp in a few days.

Kind regards
John

beadbabe
17-07-07, 10:48
Hi there
If you had just started taking the cipralex, just a week or two in or even less, I want to reassure you that yes it can cause panic attacks and anxiety like you wouldn't believe.

hang in there, it's tough, but this will pass and you will feel better.

I've been through it recently with citalopram - four weeks of panic attack hell (when i thought it couldn't get any worse) but slowly I am starting to have better days and some even good days!! :)

It should say on your packet information that these medications cause this as a side effect in lots of people. So don't worry, it's probably not all down to you!

Best of luck
beadbabe

mrblobby
21-07-07, 00:45
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I only took two tablets......I haven't had any for a year and a half and don't really want to be taking them again.
If they caused that reaction then I will have to go a different route.

One thing I think at the moment is however I feel, I know it is me and not an adverse effect from medication.

Cheers
John

Sunkid
23-07-07, 21:34
Hi John

I am on Cipralex and it increased my anxiety the first time that I took it. It made me feel dizzy and my hands started shaking. This lasted for about a week or so, but after that everything was ok. Read your pamphlet and you will see the Cipralex is indicated to increase anxiety levels in people who have an anxiety disorder, but that it will only last for two weeks at most.

mrblobby
28-07-07, 21:36
Thanks,
If I thought that after a couple of weeks I would feel good then I might go through with it, but having been on them for years before and never really felt good, I am very wary.

I think I fear the medication causing the very symptons i'm tryin to get rid of. I think once it is in the blood stream and I feel anxious.....Is it me or the medication causing it?...Oh i'm so confused:-(

Living on your own makes it all the more scary too.