PDA

View Full Version : Celeb deaths

phil06
20-04-18, 19:46
All the celeb deaths at the moment has got be feeling quite low. Some quite young or some not reaching even 70.

Anybody else get depressed? :blush:

Carnation
20-04-18, 23:54
I do phil. Do we really need to know every time someone on the TV dies and the cause? I for one think it is not necessary and very insensitive to the families.
It's almost on a daily basis and it is very hard to avoid this news.
It certainly does not help people with anxieties. :(

Tyke
21-04-18, 00:25
Yeah, it is a bit depressing isn't it. The media has created so many stars and we have had such a rich celebrity culture since the TV got going with all sorts of interesting things going on. As these people age there are more and more names appearing as recently deceased on the news. As I age I see more names I grew up with on the way out. I'm starting to feel like my parents who looked through the deaths column in the newspaper every day telling each other who had passed away in obvious shock. Nothing much you can do about it, but 'when one door closes, another one opens'. People who have contributed to our lives may have passed away, but other people follow and many great people are yet to be born. It doesn't change the loss of someone you've enjoyed seeing, but I find it comforting to think that new greatness and talent will always keep coming and we still have the recordings of the ones we have lost to remember them by.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-18, 01:37
It's easy sell for the media. Death always sells.

As Carnation says, it is disrespectful to the families but that's the UK media for you, they couldn't care less. Celebrities die and statements about leaving the family are published and within days we know why they died as they keep pushing for to get a story.

Some celebrities would sell their deathbed stories and have a camera put in the coffin for them if someone like Endemol comes up with Celebrity Decomposition...and lets hope they don't! :ohmy:

(thinking Katie Price there!)

I dread when I get old and all of today's scripted reality stars & reality stars start going, it will be daily!!!

FrankT
22-04-18, 21:58
I remember being particularly distraught when Rik Mayall died.

phil06
22-04-18, 22:52
It makes me worry how long I will have left ect :ohmy:

Some people live to like 100 some live to 60 :blush:

I’ve had anxiety about this for years and it worries me every day

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-18, 02:13
I remember being particularly distraught when Rik Mayall died.

Yeah, I loved Rik Mayall. I loved Bottom.

fishman65
23-04-18, 19:59
Well I'll be 53 in a couple of months, I'm knocking on a bit :ohmy:

Rik Mayall yes, he had that manic kind of comedy about him, gone much too soon. And Mel Smith, he was brilliant.

KK77
23-04-18, 21:02
It makes me worry how long I will have left ect :ohmy:

I’ve had anxiety about this for years and it worries me every day

You're not even 30 yet! :lac:

Buster70
23-04-18, 21:37
I was so sad when Rik mayall died he was part of my teenage years but what I don't get is are we supposed to be sad for every celebrity even if we didn't like them ? I wasnt keen on Diana ( well pretty much all Royals ) but we had a nation grieving for someone we don't know , don't get me wrong it was very sad a young mum died but so do a lot of others every day , I'm not going to change my mind on someone because they've died but then I take no pleasure from knowing they've gone but there are exceptions to that rule ( sex case celebs) those I would dance a little jig on their graves :D

ankietyjoe
23-04-18, 22:22

As it has been since the dawn of humanity.

Tyke
28-04-18, 05:12
It is particularly tough when we lose the people who have made us laugh at such a young age, the comedians that have brought us a bit of joy in our times of darkness. Rik Mayall was unique. I loved the ‘New Statesman’, the untouchable MP with ‘the largest majority in the house of commons’ so safe he could do what the hell he wanted! ‘The ‘Young Ones’ was also a great anarchic student comedy with a good cast.

Then so many others lost at a young age: Victoria Wood, Ralph Bates (Dear John), Sean Hughes, Leonard Rossiter (Reggie Perrin/Rigsby-Rising Damp), Richard Beckinsale (Lennie Godber-Porridge/Alan-Rising Damp) James Beck (Walker, Dad’s Army), and one of my favourites Dermot Morgan (Father Ted), why so young?

I’m still in shock about the radio presenter John Peel, who I listened to in my youth on Radio 1. I know he’d reached 65, but that was still far too young. As the retirement age goes up, what chance do we get of a few years at the end ourselves? All very sad.

Mindprison
28-04-18, 15:15
Yeah, I loved Rik Mayall. I loved Bottom.

Agreed here, Rik was my hero from childhood and still is today. Loved all of his work and everything he did with Ade

Was genuinely upset when he passed.