PDA

View Full Version : Normal viruses causing sudden death.

Ronan23
22-04-18, 12:07
Been suffering from a bad cough which is productive in the mornings and then turns into a dry hacking cough as the day progresses. Symptoms ongoing for around 12 days at this point. GP said chest doesn't sound great and he diagnosed bronchitis. He prescribed me antibiotics without any evidence for bacterial infection, so I have refused to take them. It could just as likely be a virus.

However, recently I found out about a terrifying condition that can occur secondary to viral infections known as viral myocarditis. This condition can present as heart failure and even sudden death. My question is do I need to get checked for myocarditis every time I have viral symptoms? The tests that can indicate something wrong are ECG and blood troponin levels.

There are several dozen reports online of people who had common virus symptoms before suddenly dying due to viral infiltration of the heart. I had normal ECG and troponin at the beginning of the illness, but I might go back to ER just in case. If myocarditis is a possibility, why isn't it common practice to screen for it during a viral infection?

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 13:30
If myocarditis is a possibility, why isn't it common practice to screen for it during a viral infection?

Because it's so rare that it's not a concern. Of the 7 billion people in the world, all of which get several viral infections in a year (colds, etc.), there are around 350 cases WORLDWIDE a year. Compare that to 24,000 killed by lighting.

Your doctor diagnosed you based on a physical examination stating you had obvious chest congestion and productive cough which is presumably bringing up mucous that's not clear. That is a valid diagnosis. I suggest you take the antibiotics as prescribed.

Positive thoughts

Meriland30
23-04-18, 07:03
Well, i commend you for not taking the antibiotics. Your doctor is an idiot for giving you antibiotics over standard bronchitis I know what you are talking about when it comes to the Myocarditis, and the majority of these people suffered fron Lupus, had a preexisting heart condition, an inflammatory response, or were one of the very few who had a cytokine storm. Myocarditis is 'usually' symptomatic when severe; sharp chest pain, ankle swelling and pain, labored breathing. Mild myocarditis is acute and is usually symptomless.

There are dozens of potential complications of a standard viral infection...most of which are very rare.