PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure and Health Anxiety

lofwyr
22-04-18, 17:55
So lately I have been having an issue with my BP. It is high, for what I need it to be. Because of my aortic aneurysm, I need it really low, the lower the better.

Unfortunately, I was instructed by my surgeon and cardiologist to monitor it at home, which is a hypochondriac's worst instruction I think.

My BP is still within the normal healthy range, being 130/80. That is on the higher end, and unfortunately too high for my condition. They want mine ideally under 120/70, perfect for me would be in 115/65.

I am on metoprolol, I am in decent shape, and have no weight to lose, cutting out salt helped a little, but I am three months out from my next cardio appointment where I will address the meds, though I will email him and call before then if nothing else works. My rising blood pressure is caused by my faulty aortic valve, which is also the cause of the dilated aortic root and aneurysm. They will be fixed surgically at some point along with the aneurysm, but they both have to get a little worse before insurance will pay.

The problem is, I think my BP (which was in the ideal range a couple months ago) is climbing, and I think it might be mostly due to anxiety. I find if I do some deep breathing, I can drop it significantly, but it doesn't last much beyond the breathing. I also cannot drop it much lower than 125/75. My anxiety is not related to the health issue (or any health issue, it is about a big move coming in my life) but it is there regardless.

I was wondering, for those with BP issues, what techniques have worked for you regarding lowering the effect of anxiety on your blood pressure?

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 18:05
I have BP issues as well. My cardiologist increased my BP med and beta blocker last appointment and my BP has been perfect since. Speak to your doctor. A slight increase in the meds should take care of it until the surgery.

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
23-04-18, 16:59
Awesome, thanks Fish. I will drop him an email.