PDA

View Full Version : Tick/Lyme fear

goldie84
23-04-18, 05:28
Hi everyone I’m 31 weeks pregnant and went hiking with my hubby and our dog in our new neighborhood which is very woodsy today. This evening I was scratching my dogs head and noticed a tick burrowed in her scalp! This was after I already bathed her post hike. Of course I got super freaked out that we have ticks everywhere. I’ve never seen one before much less on my dog like that! Now I’m paranoid myself or my hubby are going to get bit or there’s some crawling around in here ready to bite us. How common are Lyme ticks in Southern California? I’m so scared of something happening to one of us or the baby.

---------- Post added at 04:28 ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 ----------

Ugh I just checked my dog and she had two more ticks in her! I’m sooo freaked out right now.

Scass
23-04-18, 06:54
I’m sorry, that sounds scary. I don’t have advice, but I know it’s really common for dogs to get ticks. Can you speak to your vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cattia
23-04-18, 07:06
Just shower and wash your hair and check yourself really carefully. Tics generally need to be in you for over 12 hours to transmit Lymes and the risk is mainly from larger tics so as long as you don't have one left in for that time you should be ok. I live in a high risk area for Lyme's so there is a lot of information about this from our local health centre and this is what they tell us.

goldie84
23-04-18, 14:48
Just shower and wash your hair and check yourself really carefully. Tics generally need to be in you for over 12 hours to transmit Lymes and the risk is mainly from larger tics so as long as you don't have one left in for that time you should be ok. I live in a high risk area for Lyme's so there is a lot of information about this from our local health centre and this is what they tell us.

Thanks for the info. I woke up this morning after not sleeping last night really.. I’m totally sick (this was pre tick). A tick was crawling on my face! I want to die. I’m so freaked out. My husband suggested that I call the doctor just in case as I am pregnant but I dunno.

Fishmanpa
23-04-18, 15:08
Not all ticks carry lyme. The deer tick which is incredibly tiny would be one to watch out for but if you've been bitten, you'd know. I've had ticks attached to me and never had an issue so... I'd just keep an eye out for the telltale bite signs. Otherwise? Yeah, call your doctor and ask but I think they won't be too concerned and advise the same thing.

Positive thoughts