PDA

View Full Version : Flying

21onregz
23-04-18, 16:20
This post has most definitely been posted before..but I just thought I'd get a quick insight from people WHO have suffered the same as me, rather than someone who's just commenting on someone's mental health issues in regards to flying (because they haven't experienced it).

So I've been flying for years, I mean in total I've been on

18 long-haul flights, of them, 1 was transatlantic

I remember I did not like flying at all from a young age, I think it relates to a flight I had when I was younger and I was really unwell throughout the flight. We stopped in Abu Dhabi and I just didn't feel well.

I've always flown with someone, family and friends. I can't recall a single flight I did like, except London (UK) to Jeddah (KSA) and back, via Turkish Airlines in 2010.

Most recently, I flew 2 years ago via Air Canada, from London (UK) to Toronto (CAN). I was with a friend, he took my mind off the take-off and landing, which I guess is not much of an issue, my issue is the panic attacks that occur when the plane hits turbulence. MASSIVE PROBLEM, I freak out and feel like I'm having a heart attack, and the feeling inside - I'm sure some of you at least are familiar, I can't explain it, it's as if, my body is about to shut down, and then you start gulping air.

The most recent experience where that happened was London (UK) to Dubai (UAE). On the way back, the plane started moving around, nobody but me panicked, but I was with family, so they calmed me down almost immediately.

On the flight from London to Toronto, I took 2mg of Diazepam, 1 hour before my flight, and likewise, for the Dubai flight. However, I do not think I took it on the way back to London (from Dubai).

I've been on
1. Diazepam
2. Propanolol
3. Citalopram

So I've asked the doctor to prescribe me with a sleeping tablet, I forgot the name, but he said to only use it if I really need it. (As he said it will knock me out for sure, though to run a pilot a week before or something).

He also suggested 5mg diazepam, 1 hour before the flight, and if needed an hour into the flight.

BUT THAT IS MY FEAR, the time in between.

Please can someone help me or give me some advice. I don't know how else to explain, sometimes this fear makes me cry. I handle my anxiety well otherwise (or at least I try).

I keep reading stuff like "imagine the holiday", sorry I can't; "let yourself free", sorry no; "breathe and just breathe", I can, but it still doesn't help 100%.

I don't know if anyone understands what I'm trying to say, but hopefully someone can help me out with some advice.

I'm flying end of May to LA via connecting flights from London and flying by MYSELF to Toronto in June...

Thank you for reading, and sorry for the long post.

Hope to hear from you guys soon, anyone with any advice, whether they have similar experiences or not, will be appreciated.

Sorry if anyone took offence to anything I said in this post.

H-

Sabbine17
24-04-18, 22:33
As a fellow frequent flyer with anxiety I just try to keep breathing, sometimes counting up to 10 repeatedly. I know It doesn't seem like much help but it all comes down to the principles of meditation. Have you tried meditating? It might not feel like a quick fix solution at first but doing even 10 minites a day of guided breathing and meditation for a little while will eventually tune your mind to distance yourself from your fear when you do experience it and just acknoledge the emotion, and eventually can help you face it.
The sleeping pills sound good, putting a bit of lavender essential oil on your pillow is good too, just as a nice soothing thing to smell if you're into that type of thing. What I do is I put a lot of rescue remedy drops in a smoothie and keep sipping on it as needed..
Hope this helps :)

Reign
30-04-18, 17:50
I have had anxiety from flying. What I found worked for me might just work for you too. During take off, landing and turbulence, start noticing the plane's structure. Emergency exit etc. Start making a plan in the mind of how to escape the situation, and do it with a bit of Hollywood ish touch. You will find that 1) you're too busy planning an escape route that your focus wouldn't go towards feelings of panic 2) it will give you a sense of courage 3) you will start noticing that turbulence, take off and landing is normal and nothing will happen to the craft you're flying in