PDA

View Full Version : Chest aches and pains again!!

eddy1608
23-04-18, 21:12
Chest issues are back again, my blood pressure is 123/81 but obviously I'm thinking about things and getting a bit worked up but I think that blood pressure reading is pretty much normal.
I have been sleeping on the sofa a lot lately so I'm pretty hunched up on the sofa and if I press around my chest it's very sensitive like if I press my ribs i get the same kinda dull ache I'm getting all the time. It's very frustrating
Any one else get this and is there any stretches I can try to loosen things up

Phill2
24-04-18, 06:52
Chest issues are back again, my blood pressure is 123/81 but obviously I'm thinking about things and getting a bit worked up but I think that blood pressure reading is pretty much normal.
I have been sleeping on the sofa a lot lately so I'm pretty hunched up on the sofa and if I press around my chest it's very sensitive like if I press my ribs i get the same kinda dull ache I'm getting all the time. It's very frustrating

I have a bad back and hunch over a lot esp when driving and have exactly the same thing as you.
It's just muscular skeletal.

Shadowhawk
24-04-18, 12:07

So, while chest pain should always be taken seriously,you mentioned something that is a typical give away that it is not heart related, highlighted above. If you are not familiar with it, there is a benign condition called Costochondritis (or an associated condition called Tietze syndrome).

In short, costo is a condition where the cartilage on your ribs, connecting to your sternum has become inflamed (Tietze is the same, but also has localized swelling that can be felt). While it sounds simple, it can cause radiating pain all around your chest, but its hallmark give away is touch sensitivity (especially where the ribs meet the sternum). To spare you some googling, here are some notes about costo (sorry if this is all old news to you):

The reproducible tenderness when pressing on the rib joints (costochondral joints) is a characteristic feature of costochondritis. Without tenderness, a diagnosis of costochondritis is unlikely.
Chest pain associated with costochondritis can be preceded or aggravated by exercises, minor injury, or an upper respiratory infection (https://www.emedicinehealth.com/upper_respiratory_infection/article_em.htm).
Costochondritis pain usually will be sharp and located on the front chest wall. It may radiate from the chest area to the back or abdomen to cause back pain (https://www.emedicinehealth.com/back_pain_health/article_em.htm) or belly pain.
The most common sites of pain are the fourth, fifth, and sixth ribs. This pain increases when moving the trunk or when deep breathing and, therefore, may cause breathing problems. Conversely, it decreases as any movement stops or with quiet breathing.

Costochondritis can be misdiagnosed or accompanied by anxiety (https://www.emedicinehealth.com/anxiety/article_em.htm) about having chest pain.

Last month i wound up in the hospital, as i was having severe chest pains that radiated, and was very worried it was severe. I had a full cardiac work up (short of stress test, but 2 EKGs, Echo, X-ray, and Holter monitor) with no significant findings (other than my blood pressure was not what it should be, but that was unrelated). After being cleared, this is now what i am likely dealing with as well.

In my case, i note that it can come and god, even while sitting, though periods of anxiety make it worse. I am also very overweight, and lots of chest movement can also produce the pain. I find that my pain is more left sided (which is wonderful, because you know... its right on the heart.....:doh:), and can seemingly travel from the center to my arm. Being honest, my HA can spike and say it must be heart related (again, despite being given the clear from a very good cardio); but then i remind myself.. for the sheer number of times i have felt this pain.. if it really was an attack.. i would have been dead months ago. :blush:

It takes some time, but it does get better; but you have to let your body relax in order to heal (at most, gentle exercise, stretching, and finally.... relieve stress.. :) ). I also find that a heating pad can really help work wonders, and i know lots of people swear by ibuprofin.

And remember.. positive thoughts!