PDA

View Full Version : Lump in Calf

Anxietyslayer
25-04-18, 16:23
Hi all. My first post on what looks to be a wonderful form. Any reassurance you can provide or advice would be appreciated.

About 2 months ago I felt a strange lump in my calf muscle. I had been working my calf muscles fairly hard at the gym leading up to this. I went to the doctor and he ordered an ultrasound. The test showed a complex septated cystic mass in the medial gastrocnemius muscle. It measured 4cm X 1.6X 1.7. There was no flow within the mass. The sonographic features are most in keeping with a possible muscular tear with hematoma. Is there a history of trauma? An MRI is recommended for further evaluation.

This is when my health anxiety sky rocketed. Non stop ruminative thoughts about losing my leg, cancer, surgery etc. No matter how many items I write down the facts of the situation I can't seem to shake the fear. I then started to develop twitching, burning and tingling in the leg-all of which I think could be anxiety. I am scheduled for an MRI which is considered semi-urgent so a 6 month wait period. Below are the facts I have come up with:

1. I have seen 4 doctors and none of them are overly concerned;
2. If this could be serious the radiologist would have indicated serious and referred for an urgent MRI or directly to a surgeon.
3. It's a relatively small, superficial mass
4. There is no flow so that's a good sign it's not cancer
5. I had been working my calfs quite hard so the tear makes sense althought I didn't have any pain.
6. No pain in lump

Thanks in advance.

Emc
25-04-18, 17:49
If they thought cancer was even a possibility you would be having your investigations done within a couple of weeks. If you’re otherwise well a muscle injury makes the. OST sense.

Anxietyslayer
25-04-18, 19:36
Thanks for your response. You are completely right. I need to trust in that and let go of all thoughts that speak otherwise.