PDA

View Full Version : What a bad 5 days

Bigboyuk
25-04-18, 19:27
Hi Folks what a bad 5 days I have had wont explain now as it's made me very tired its to do with my pc. Any way I am back now folks on a new pc will tell more tomorrow just going to enjoy and get used to my new pc love to everyone xxxxxx ATB

Elen
25-04-18, 19:30
phew welcome back Dave, we were all getting worried

KK77
25-04-18, 19:38
Good to see your steam engine rolling into NMP Central, Cmrd D :D

Bigboyuk
25-04-18, 20:06
Thanks Elen and KK it's been tough :) Still finding my way around Windows 10. but it was very easy to set up ;) Prehaps some one can help there are 2 desk tops screens on this pc don't normaly use Desk top mode. Edge is the default Browser. Anyways how do I browse full screen with no icons and that means coming out of Desk top mode? The other thing there are only 2 power options Restart and Power off can't see a Sleep option?
ATB

Carnation
25-04-18, 20:07
Welcome back BB :)

Catherine S
25-04-18, 23:16
Yep, welcome back. You do realise that there is no way on God's green earth that I can give you any techy advice over our cuppa don't you David? As in, PC stands for Pringle Crisps ok? Just as long as you know this we'll be fine :D

Cath

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-18, 02:21
Dave, if you click on the windows icon bottom left there should be power button icon. Click on that and you get 3 options: Sleep, Shut Down, Restart. Is that where you are doing it?

2 desktops? New one on me, I've used Windows 10 on 2 laptops and neither has more than one. Is one just for apps?

Edge. It's a strip down of IE so it's quicker but there are some drawbacks to be careful with. It doesn't restore open tabs if the PC crashes. And the history file gets clogged and stops recording anything. When it clogs you will find opening history shows nothing there (when you use the Edge short cuts at the top right) but if you delete the history out it will sort this out for you and start recording again.

I learnt the hard way on those with Edge.

Bigboyuk
26-04-18, 11:56
Welcome back BB :) Thx Carnation :) ATB

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Yep, welcome back. You do realise that there is no way on God's green earth that I can give you any techy advice over our cuppa don't you David? As in, PC stands for Pringle Crisps ok? Just as long as you know this we'll be fine :D

Cath Thx Cath I guess you are right on that LOL Iam ok with quite a bit of tech but somethings remain a mystery. ATB

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Dave, if you click on the windows icon bottom left there should be power button icon. Click on that and you get 3 options: Sleep, Shut Down, Restart. Is that where you are doing it?

2 desktops? New one on me, I've used Windows 10 on 2 laptops and neither has more than one. Is one just for apps?

Edge. It's a strip down of IE so it's quicker but there are some drawbacks to be careful with. It doesn't restore open tabs if the PC crashes. And the history file gets clogged and stops recording anything. When it clogs you will find opening history shows nothing there (when you use the Edge short cuts at the top right) but if you delete the history out it will sort this out for you and start recording again.

I learnt the hard way on those with Edge. Yes Terry did check the power options only 2 like I stated previously Off and Restart. No you can create a new desk top screen when in desk top mode. and add more desk tops and switch between the 2 or more screens. You also have a task view icon next to Cortana. Also top left of screen next to a open tab you have 2 icons 1 says Tabs you have set aside. 2. Set these tabs aside. Havent experimented with this yet. All in getting used to Windows 10. ATB

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Right my story with Amazon: 6 days ago my other pc had a usb power skt problem. wiggle the lead it makes a connection, but more often than not I will lose power to the pc. any way I couldn't not get power to the pc. So called Amazon set a new account via my mobile phone and ordered a new pc I asked the agent at Amazon to check various things, 1 which was OS etc she said yes It came the next day. plugged it in no OS installed :eek: as it's a blank canvas which means you can customise your own OS like Linux etc or install Windows OS (10) which isn't free so went to a pc shop and it would cost with the licence around another £100.

So decided to send it back to Amazon as a incorrect item. In the mean time I called Currys/Pc world after looking at pc's on there. now listen to this. the pc compute stick (designed for home use) was available on their site, but is only available for business customers only 1. You have to be business. 2. You have to have a business account with pc world WTF I couldn't believe this a home entertainment pc wasn't available to me unless I full fill pc worlds stupid rules. Any way checked the box for a returns lablel there want one so called Amazon and they said they don't have the option to send a returns label to me?? So left it for few days spoke to some one else who said I was told incorrectly about the label and they would gladly send a returns label out to me I said ok but the agent the other day said no they cant. Please check through my notes find the name of this agent and get them retrained on the returns policy I was fuming at this point...... So now just waiting on the label to come to me, to get a full refund :)
So basically I have had a horrendous 5 days at least Iam back online folks thx for reading. ATB

Catherine S
26-04-18, 13:37
I had a similar experience with TalkTalk when we first moved in here. We've got an LG Smart tv that we brought over with us from Germany, but stupid me didn't realise it'd have Freeview already installed for the UK so I ordered and paid up front for a TalkTalk tv box.

When I realised we didn't need it I called them to cancel the box and asked for a refund. They said they couldn't actually cancel the order, it had to be sent out and then returned unopened so they'd send me a returns label.

So the box arrived but then a week passed and no label...called them (Phillipines) waited another week, called them again (South Africa) finally got the label, sent the box back and it took another 3 weeks and 3 more calls to South Africa for the refund! Crazy.

Bigboyuk
26-04-18, 13:51
I had a similar experience with TalkTalk when we first moved in here. We've got an LG Smart tv that we brought over with us from Germany, but stupid me didn't realise it'd have Freeview already installed for the UK so I ordered and paid up front for a TalkTalk tv box.

When I realised we didn't need it I called them to cancel the box and asked for a refund. They said they couldn't actually cancel the order, it had to be sent out and then returned unopened so they'd send me a returns label.

So the box arrived but then a week passed and no label...called them (Phillipines) waited another week, called them again (South Africa) finally got the label, sent the box back and it took another 3 weeks and 3 more calls to South Africa for the refund! Crazy. Totally ridiculous Cath even if it was still in some warehouse the order could have probably been cancelled so pretty rough for you too. Glad it got resolved in the end Cath ATB

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-18, 15:53
Changing sleep mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

Bigboyuk
26-04-18, 16:11
Changing sleep mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc Very useful Terry, didn't know there is a hibernate mode too uses less power than sleep I will have a go at that thx ATB

Bigboyuk
27-04-18, 16:13
Well tried everything Terry and I still only get 2 options on the power button menu Off/Restart in additional settings from a drop down list there is no mention of sleep. Tried using the power button the keyboard holding down for 3 or more seconds and the pc doesn't sleep? The other thing I want to ask is Windows has notifications it said at 8pm last night there is update would this have taken place while the pc was still on in the back ground and while I was still using the pc? Normally you cant do any other tasks while a update is taking place (well on windows 8.1 this was the case) also after I had finished using the pc it was completely turned off so no update would have taken place any ideas on this? ATB

BikerMatt
27-04-18, 17:21
Glad your back and ok Dave.

To be honest i know absolutely nothing about computers other than they do my head in. I use my phone for everything now. What i can't understand is, how can a tiny little phone that cost £160 work quicker and smoother than my laptop that's 20 times the size and cost £500! The last laptop i had, i punched and broke the screen and the one i have now has sat in the drawer for nearly a year!!!

Bigboyuk
27-04-18, 19:07
Glad your back and ok Dave.

To be honest i know absolutely nothing about computers other than they do my head in. I use my phone for everything now. What i can't understand is, how can a tiny little phone that cost £160 work quicker and smoother than my laptop that's 20 times the size and cost £500! The last laptop i had, i punched and broke the screen and the one i have now has sat in the drawer for nearly a year!!! thx Matt ;) the Amazon saga continues I called them again today and asked where is the returns label that supposed to be sent out to me the person I spoke to said we don't send these out you will have to print it out I said again I don't have a printer and was really stressed out by then spoke to a supervisor who also didn't understand my simple request needless to say I wont be shopping with Amazon again ever I now have to take the item to my post office and pay to have it returned I shall not even claim that back cant be arsed as I am sure there will be a problem regarding that :mad: ATB

BikerMatt
27-04-18, 19:38
thx Matt ;) the Amazon saga continues I called them again today and asked where is the returns label that supposed to be sent out to me the person I spoke to said we don't send these out you will have to print it out I said again I don't have a printer and was really stressed out by then spoke to a supervisor who also didn't understand my simple request needless to say I wont be shopping with Amazon again ever I now have to take the item to my post office and pay to have it returned I shall not even claim that back cant be arsed as I am sure there will be a problem regarding that :mad: ATB

Dave, I don't have a printer, so when i have to send something back to Amazon the email with the returns label has the option to forward on for somebody else to print. I always forward them to my Dad to print.

Bigboyuk
27-04-18, 20:35
Dave, I don't have a printer, so when i have to send something back to Amazon the email with the returns label has the option to forward on for somebody else to print. I always forward them to my Dad to print.Also Matt I can't access my emails for forum notifications etc that's either though my ISP's webmail service which hasn't worked well for months they use a split framed page (which is ridiculous) so one part of the frame loads the folders, the other bigger part of split page is supposed to load the email headers it hasn't done for months now. so been using a another client called ml3.myemail.com like most other email providers it uses a single page layout much easier to load and use. I cant even get that to display anything. so even if I knew some one with a printer I can't get access to my emails. Amazon have made it really hard for me to send my incorrect parcel back follow? it's much easier to have a returns label in the box just in case it's needed, and if last nights tonight's programme (ITV) was anything to go by well that's a sure sign that returns labels are important parcels being chucked about thrown across the warehouse to see if the staff can get it in one of the cages for fun, they should be sacked it was a great doc to watch how safe is my parcel (think it was called) So I am well a truly stuffed mate. ATB

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-18, 04:52
Well tried everything Terry and I still only get 2 options on the power button menu Off/Restart in additional settings from a drop down list there is no mention of sleep. Tried using the power button the keyboard holding down for 3 or more seconds and the pc doesn't sleep? The other thing I want to ask is Windows has notifications it said at 8pm last night there is update would this have taken place while the pc was still on in the back ground and while I was still using the pc? Normally you cant do any other tasks while a update is taking place (well on windows 8.1 this was the case) also after I had finished using the pc it was completely turned off so no update would have taken place any ideas on this? ATB

You need to go to:

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>System Settings.

Look at the tick box options at the bottom. Can you see "Sleep. Show in power menu"? Tick it.

If it's shadowed, you can't do it, but click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" which is near the top of the screen and that will allow you to tick/untick.

---------- Post added at 02:43 ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 ----------

It depends on the type of update, some need a reboot, some will install in the background I think. At worst, it will require a reboot afterwards anyway.

Just check in Settings, Update & Security. It will say there when the last update took place and you can view them in the installed history.

---------- Post added at 04:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 ----------

It's a pain if you don't have a printer. It would be the same for you with Ebay, I've sent stuff back to them & Amazon and it means emailed returns labels.

I can't see why they couldn't print it at their end and post it to you. They must come across others in this situation?

They don't need to put them in the boxes if they just have a process for those who can't print. It's not rocket science.

I hope you got a receipt for posting just in case it gets lost. And put a complaint in because they will most likely just refund your postage if you send them a copy of the receipt (keep the original), it's small money to resolving a complaint and keeping a customer.

---------- Post added at 04:52 ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 ----------

That sounds like a naff email service, Dave. To be honest, I've always avoided split pane even using MS Mail.

If you set up with a different service you should hopefully have an option to import old mail from a previous provider. That might be a way to get around losing the mail.

Magic
28-04-18, 19:22
Hi BB Computers are so frustrating. I stayed on windows 7.
Wondered if you had the telephone number for Amazon? I had some trouble with them not long ago. This is the number I rang 08004961081. x

Bigboyuk
29-04-18, 15:25
Hi BB Computers are so frustrating. I stayed on windows 7.
Wondered if you had the telephone number for Amazon? I had some trouble with them not long ago. This is the number I rang 08004961081. x They certainly can Magic When I called them it was a 0345 number but now see there is Freephone number I will use the one you have posted at least it wont cost anything to call them. Thx :) ATB