PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of unreality

Batch369
25-04-18, 20:44
I have suffered with anxiety for a long time. Back in 2015 I had a panic attack. But I felt like I was in a dream I didn’t feel real. It was a strange feeling. Since then I’ve obsessed over that feeling I haven’t left my house in over two years. I have agoraphobia, anxiety and depression. I can’t be left on my own especially at night time. My mums going on holiday in two days for a whole week. My whole family is going apart from my sister who is 19 she’s staying with me. But I’m worried I will feel unreal and anxious the whole time does anybody have any advice please. My mum is my safe person and I’m so worried

ana
26-04-18, 09:00
I have the exact same issue as you, have had it for 17 years now. My panic attacks only manifest as feelings of unreality that I sometimes get independently of panic attacks. :(
You need to challenge yourself and not give into the anxiety. That's the best advice I can give you. I've spent many, many years avoiding situations that make me anxious, adhering to a specific schedule set by my anxiety, and I have many regrets because of it. I feel like a huge chunk of my life was lost due to fear... or what? Insanity? Death?

Anxiety can't kill you. What it puts you through is very unpleasant, but ultimately harmless. Other than it feeling badly, nothing else is going to happen to you. Pluck up the courage to leave the house, even if it is for just 30 seconds, walk down the road or stand in the garden and look around you, observe your environment and the life you're a part of (despite what the unreality might tell you!). If you panic, let it happen. One can only panic for so long. Once you've allowed it to happen, you'll see you've come out the other end still alive and well. It sounds scary, but I feel like it's the only way of having the anxiety loosen its grip on you. :)