PDA

View Full Version : From Russia "With Love"

Ross
17-07-07, 19:04
Completely off-topic so delete if necessary.

So anyways, Russia;

After they failed to extradite a suspect in the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko, Gordon Brown decided to suspend 4 Russian diplomats to the UK and send them home. Russia have retaliated and are going to do the same, only sending upto 80 British diplomats home from Moscow and have threatened that there could be "serious consequences".

Furthermore, Russia are currently in talks with USA with regards to installing Missile Defence Technology in Russian owned territory, but understandably the Americans would prefer them to be located somewhere less 'volatile' like Poland. Russia are making similar threats to the Americans because of this.

So what's the point of this thread I hear you cry..... Well, I want to know what your views on this are. I mean, we all know Russia are one of the (if not the strongest) Hyper-Powers in the world. After all, with the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia claimed 70% of the Soviet Military forces. They have more Nuclear Weapons than any other nation, and are currently ploughing a further $200bn into defence by 2010.

On the flip side, they also hold permanent membership on the UN Security Council. Shouldn't this mean they have an obligation to maintain international peace and security?

Seems very odd that they are 'picking fights' with two of the strongest tactical nations of the world.

I reckon it really is a case of 'Watch This Space'. :shrug:

mirry
17-07-07, 20:49
dont think we should of thrown out the russian diplomates ?

we always seem to bring problems on ourselves.

Its a concern but I believe we have some investment in their oil / gas ....is this correct ?

really i dont know what to think, :wacko:

clickaway
17-07-07, 21:28
I don't see this as too serious at all. If you look at Russian history, they have always felt threatened - that's why they don't want to warning system close to their borders. And as regards the poisoning thing, they feel their constitution can't allow the extradition, but of course there may well have been government involvement as well.

I'm sure it will blow over.

Life will go on.

Gordon
18-07-07, 12:05
Since the old Soviet Union broke up some time ago, Russia itself doesn't have the power that it once held. I think it's just sabre rattling on both sides.

Our problem is that we seem to be a dumping ground for the worlds' criminals.

I am not for a moment xenophobic or even racist but I do think we need to do background checks on who is coming to stay here. If they're normal everyday folk then it's all good, they're most welcome. But in the UK now we have the Russian mafia, South American drug gangs, Jamaican Yardies and the list goes on..

Gordon XX

Jaco45er
18-07-07, 13:06
The main threat from Russia is one of economics and resource. They have already installed a Gas pipeline direct to Germany, by passing Poland as relationships between the 2 countries is at a low. This is common with Russia, after years of frosty relations with a country, Russia tends to retaliated by taking their ball home.

I can't see this diplomatic incident between the UK and Russia escalating much beyond the current situation. Lets face it, its not exactly the Bay of Pigs.

Relax chap ;) and have a beer on me.

Comrade Jaco

P.S. Gordon, are you saying Russian billionaires buying UK football clubs is dirty money? how cynical lol. Mind you, if there is any ultra rich Mafia chaps reading, Celtic could do with buying up, then steam in and get Ronaldo, Ronaldinio and Stevie Gerrard.

I get more stressed by a few missed heart beats than a few dodgy ruskies ;)