PDA

View Full Version : Help please- got myself into terrible anx/panic

willieverbefree
26-04-18, 19:14
I had a major op several years ago - and things in the lower stomach/bowel areas have felt different ever since ...Three weeks ago I started getting very bloated and uncomfortable - I left it for a while, thought maybe it was food related etc - but it didn't go ...I went to docs and had ultrasound scan that came back ok - but still had problem so went back to GP, I was concerned re scar tissue/tumour/blockage etc - GP was not overly concerned that it was anything serious - suggested I have a camera procedure ( waiting for apt) ..He said that I could have xray, but was up to me.. I get into such a state of worry/panic - and live alone.. Long story short - I went for xray ( awaiting result) now I am worrying myself sick about radiation from xray and berating myself for going to have it ....I always feel that I do the wrong thing, damned if I do damned i I dont...I am exhausted with anxiety/fears/panic attacks - why does life have to feel so scary

Scass
26-04-18, 19:39
Gosh it’s just an x-ray. People have them all day every day. My 4 year old had to have one a few months ago & no-one batted an eyelid.

I know I’ve just trivialised your fears, and I’m very sorry to do so. But, try telling yourself the same thing. It’s JUST an x-ray. If they were so dangerous they wouldn’t do them.

How do you control your anxiety / phobias normally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willieverbefree
26-04-18, 20:35
I know it may sound trivial to some - but my mind takes over and the fears feel very real .....:weep:.... I know you are right -children/people have them all the time...I just fear radiation

Fishmanpa
26-04-18, 20:57
I know it may sound trivial to some - but my mind takes over and the fears feel very real .....:weep:.... I know you are right -children/people have them all the time...I just fear radiation

If you know the reality and facts, that should suffice but we also know that reality and facts aren't enough nor are words on an anxiety forum :shrug:

As far as life being scary? To me it's all about attitude.

"Live is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" - Charles Swindoll

It's not life that's scary, it's your perception of it that needs adjusting.

Positive thoughts

Carys
26-04-18, 21:20
They say that most standard xrays give radiation equalivalent to a few days to a couple of years of natural radiation in the environment (I looked this up). So basically, radiation is all around us - but every few months do you suddenly stress about natural radiation all around you?