PDA

View Full Version : Joining to help husband

Doggyvonne
26-04-18, 19:42
Hello I am 61 and am joining this forum in the hope i can get some help for my husband. Paul is 65 and has been on Seroxat continuously at least 25 years -From the first year we met he had mood swings and loud outbursts in public so I got him to see a doctor who put him on Seroxat. Apart from being borderline depressed ever since he has been levelled out and has worked in his job till retirement a few years ago. Paul has a Phd in computing and had a professional career with no time off work. I am here now because he has had serious memory problems for some years the worst symptom is not remembering yesterday even with very obvious clues. As he is also partially deaf and his aids dont help much and also has an advancing eye disease communication isnt easy at times. Paul has settled into an easy life watching podcasts wearing earphones and walking round the block 1-2 times a day and that's it unless i ask him to do other like wash up or hang the washing. Having just had a really bad virus and cough too he has had no mental acuteness at all and its been like living with a dead person-totally disengaged and in another world. Many time i various counties we lived I asked GPs for help but they just give him a general medical check and dont do anything about the Seroxat. The news yesterday said that Seroxat can cause dementia and I am concerned that his long haul therapy may have damaged his brain cells? Is there an alternative drug? I am scared if he comes off the Seroxat he will be violent a she used to get quite stroppy when he was young but in all fairness i think he should have closely supervised drug withdrawal and a trial with another drug if there is one? Has anyone had experience of this - I mean to say changing from Seroxat to another drug or even coming off drugs completely after many many years of treatment?

venusbluejeans
26-04-18, 19:47
Hiya Doggyvonne and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Doggyvonne
26-04-18, 20:11
A hit on Seroxat brought me here and i was hoping to get some advice or personal accounts of coming off Seroxat. I did look at the articles but didnt see anything relevent. Thank you for replying.