PDA

View Full Version : Cyst on thumb

roseanxiety
26-04-18, 20:32
Has anyone on here ever had a cyst in a thumb joint? I have a small bump on my first thumb joint that i have diagnosed as a ganglion cyst . I am of course scared to have an X-ray because I am afraid of something sinister. Even though I have diagnosed myself. Lol. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lofwyr
26-04-18, 22:40
I have one on the inside of my thumb, also a ganglion cyst. They are very common and form in the connective tissue on our hands. When you say "I diagnosed" do you mean you, or a doctor diagnosed you?

Nothing wrong with going to the doc to check the lumps and bumps. I would hesitate to diagnose yourself, even for something minor like this.

Catherine S
26-04-18, 22:56
Nurseanxiety. ...is your username a play on words or are you actually a nurse? Because if you are a medically trained nurse wouldn't you know about this kind of thing? It's a little disconcerting that somebody who is supposed to look after us in hospital is on an anxiety forum being constantly anxious about physical symptoms !

However, if you're not a nurse then apologies for the assumption, and in answer to your question, a cyst is just a cyst and nothing serious, but they can fill up again and grow back, so getting rid of them at the root is always better than just draining them. But a nurse would know this so perhaps you're not a nurse? I'm a little confused as you may have realised sorry.

Cath ☺

roseanxiety
27-04-18, 01:53
I meant that i “diagnosed” myself by googling it. I have not seen a doctor about it.

Thanks for your reply.

swajj
27-04-18, 10:27
I do. I actually have 5. When you feel the area it feels like 1 single one but an ultrasound showed that it was actually a group of 5. I’ve had them for over 15 years.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

So are you a nurse?

roseanxiety
28-04-18, 00:57
Not a nurse so I’m changing my user name .thanks for your reply. You have 5 on one thumb? Are they really small?

WiseMonkey
28-04-18, 01:27
Has anyone on here ever had a cyst in a thumb joint? I have a small bump on my first thumb joint that i have diagnosed as a ganglion cyst . I am of course scared to have an X-ray because I am afraid of something sinister. Even though I have diagnosed myself. Lol. Anyone?

Yes, I have one on my wrist, it was large but over the last 5 years, it's gone down. X-Rays don't show much but an ultrasound showed it was just a cyst.
You are correct it's a ganglion and you can get them as you age. Both my parents had then on their hands as well.