PDA

View Full Version : A simple question that helps anxiety attacks (for me at least)

PWO_Nathan
01-05-18, 21:46
Hi all,

Another essay inbound haha!

So I have suffered from what I would personally say is severe anxiety since 2013. This has been mainly health related fear but also branched off onto everything from Asteroid impacts to WW3.

While suffering from HA for 5 years now in no way qualifies me to give clinical advice, I feel it most certainly qualifies me to know how god awful this "condition" is.

It is therefore my hope that what helps me personally, may help someone, even if its only one person out there.

When I am having an anxiety attack about something I ask myself one very simple question (to follow). This helps me immensely and a few minutes later, while not subsided, it (anxiety) is far less and my once imminent trip to A&E is cancelled.

So what is the question?

Well I phrase it differently each time but the basis is the same - something along the lines of "If I wasn't an anxious person, would what I am feeling now cause me concern?" or "IF I take away the mental feeling and concentrate purely on the physical symptons, what are they"?

So for example, Tuesdays / Wednesday each week are my guaranteed "bad" days. About an hour ago, I had severe abdominal pain which spread to my chest. I laid in bed (safety behaviour! MY bad!" and began imagining my kids without their father etc, I then got the phone ready to ask my partner to leave work and come home to look after the kids while I went to A&E to have my heart attack. I then did the above, I literally said, OK so what am I actually feeling, not thinking, but feeling... the answer was... absolutely nothing. There was no pain in my chest or abdomen, my breathing was a little fast and my heart rate seemed high but other than this, what did I feel? Nothing. So I then went onto OK so what do I think I feel? Chest tightness, OK so where does this take me? Heart attack (couldnt possibly be indigestion given I eat about 30 mins previous - had to be worse case). Right so its a heart attack, checklist time (in my mind)... nope, nope, nope and nope - not one single thing I felt lined up with heart attack symptoms and god knows Dr Google has more than made me an Consultant in this area.

So what then? Then is now - I did as I always do, I came on here. I come on here when my anxiety is really high not to seek help but to try and provide it. See the funny thing is, I am all very well giving rationale advice to people who suffer from anxiety but practising what I preach fails to land every single time.

So there you have it, the question that has made my "condition" manageable and succeeded where countless CBT re-runs failed. This question is my take on CBTs challenge the thought process. For me, challenging the thought had no impact as it was a little like boy who cried wolf. Specifically asking myself if I was not an anxious person, would what I am feeling cause me concern, has helped me countless times. IF the answer is ever "yes" then I ask another question, OK so how long have I felt this chest pain for example. 5 - 10 mins, ok lets give it ten mins and see how I feel then. Every single time, 10 mins later its either gone or I am confident its in my mind.

Anyway I will leave this here now as selfishly my anxiety has completely gone and I can get back to not dying :wacko:

IF this helps at least one person, mission accomplished. Just give it a try, I know its hard (not sounding as condescending as possible) but next time you have a panic attack, just hit stop and say "If I take anxiety out the equation, like a time before I was an anxious person, would this cause me concern" or "what am I actually physically feeling", ie turn into a robot and analyse yourself.

I hope this helps

hr1027
01-05-18, 22:37
I like your way of thinking, thanks for this!

Croydonbee
02-05-18, 17:21
Sounds good. My problem isn't health anxiety, it's a mental thing and I get very tearful and am always tired. Wish I could find the answer!

PWO_Nathan
03-05-18, 14:03
Sounds good. My problem isn't health anxiety, it's a mental thing and I get very tearful and am always tired. Wish I could find the answer!

As I am sure you're aware tiredness is a side effect of anxiety. Doc explained it pretty well for me - said with our bodies been in fight or flight most the time, it tires us out.

Personally, I had a blood test to check nothing else causing it - got results which helped me?

Croydonbee
03-05-18, 16:29
Thanks

Had a blood test yesterday to check everything.
I've joined a gym in a bid to release some endorphins - if I don' feel too tired to go!
So many issues - I know what they are, but I can't control the thoughts - the past, mum etc etc. I get very emotional so easily and well up so readily to. What a mess.

PWO_Nathan
03-05-18, 18:00
Without sounding condescending, whatever it is will just take time.

Least you are aware of it and it sounds like having a good cry is good for you.

Personally, I can't remember last time I cried despite losing both parents etc and I think if I just broke down, it would do me world of good I just cant seem to

Croydonbee
04-05-18, 07:38
It helps to cry but trouble is, I could cry all day.
I can’t get the nostalgic thoughts out of my he’s. I just want to live in the present but can’t. Just want a head full of nothing so that I’m not under constant attack. Meds not really helping. Gets very difficult as the anxiety and tearfulness increase as the day goes by. At work today. Keep having to leave the office. These problems started last summer before I lost my mum. The loss has just compounded everything. I’m trying everything - counselling, CBT, Headspace, I had three NHS psychiatric sessions and was signed off and they won’t accept a re-referral from my GP. I try and exercise.i also attend a therapy group (the only place where I feel free). Hard to know who to turn to. Might have to go private to sort out meds etc as the GP can’t change things.
Thanks for advice

artist12
13-05-18, 06:41
Thanks so much for posting this.

I think it's so important to learn our own thought patterns leading up to anxiety events.

One thing that helps me as well, when I'm convinced I'm having physical symptoms which are about to result in my imminent death, or am convinced I'm dying of a terminal illness, is to stop and first recognize the physical symptoms in the here and now, as you said. I then think about what else is going on in my life, stress wise...jobs, relationships, etc., and does that correlate with how I'm feeling about my health anxiety? It almost always does. Making that connection helps ground me for some reason and reminds me its more plausible that I'm giving myself these symptoms, or imagining them, as a result of the "real" stresses in my life, not because I'm about to die.