PDA

View Full Version : Hi, everyone!

chris-t-o
18-07-07, 22:57
Evening - or whatever time of day it may be for any of you. I guess I'm not the only one sleeping irregularly :)

I'm Chris, from Oslo, Norway.

About me: I'm a self-employed computer application developer, 21 years old. I've been active in liberal politics here for a couple of years. I play electric bass in my free time, if I'm not spending it on understanding economics (being single leaves a lot of room to be a geek, that's for sure).

About my condition: I'm slowly beginning to realize that I've had some sort of condition for about four years - my mother and my ex has told me about the period I "lost my smile". I've always been resourceful and energetic, self-confident and a strong individual, but in the last three years I've been increasingly tired in periods. Two years ago I had a depression breakdown that left me mostly in bed crying for three weeks, and I didn't do much about it. I had a pretty good period after that, but the last year has been nothing but tiredness, sadness and I haven't been able to find "my old self". I've disappointed a lot of people, most of all myself, and I've done all sorts of irrational things that have led to economic problems amongst other things. I've experienced all sorts of weird triggers (seeing a picture, reading a text, a report on TV - not knowing why it triggers anything) that give me adrenaline rushes, anxiety attacks and sometimes shortness of breath.

In the past month-and-a-half I've had some anxiety attacks that, suffice to say, freaked me out, and it freaked me out to an extent that I just had to take some action. Everything gets scary and I've thought the worst about everything and everyone. With the help of my mother and father, my GP, my friends and such, I've started on antidepressants (cipralex, 10mg so far), I'm on long term sick leave and I've stopped doing anything and slowly replacing it with exercise, reading, and other things I purely enjoy. Feels much better just talking about it and moving obstacles out of the way one by one. But getting back to being energetic and sharp will take a long time, as my GP says - try walking around with a broken arm for four years and see how long it takes for it to heal.

I've been in therapy for about four months now, and it has led to me understanding myself better. But I'm extremely confused when it comes to finding why I am what I am right now. Everything from my parents' divorce to not being able to enjoy the fruits of my work. Anyway, I'm finally able to accept that I have problems, instead of ripping on myself for being lazy and worthless. It's progress!

And I have no social phobia whatsoever. Thank *insert favorite deity* for that, and a lovable set of really good friends. Now, time to rest and get well.

Thanks for great tips on the site, in the forums, and in advance for the support and help I hope to get :)

Chris

Lozzie
18-07-07, 23:11
Hi Chris :welcome:

You will find this site very useful and meet some lovely people along the way :)
Sounds like you have been through alot :hugs:
But it sounds like you have a good doctor so that is a big help! some of us here are abit unlucky with our doctors. Not all of us though but some.
Its good to have support from ur doctor and family and friends :)
Makes the road to recovery abit easier :)

You will find the people on here supportive and understanding.
Hope to speak to you soon :)
Take care
Laura xxxx:flowers:

trac67
18-07-07, 23:16
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

groovygranny
18-07-07, 23:42
Hello Chris :welcome:to you!

I can sympathise with your confusion - I only found out two years ago when I was ill how much events in my life had affected my adulthood.

But we will recover, slowly but surely - and we're all here to help and support each other.

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Lindalou64
19-07-07, 00:16
hello chris and welcome im sure you will find lots of support and info sounds like your exepting which is the first and most important part of recovery.iw ish ya the best.......Linda x

miff
19-07-07, 05:57
g'day chris welcome , believe me mate there is pleanty of support here for people like us i can vouch for that and congrads on the good doc i wish i had one.Keep ya chin up

manmoor
19-07-07, 07:25
Hi Chris,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

honeybee3939
19-07-07, 18:01
Hi Chris

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of some help.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

nomorepanic
19-07-07, 18:57
Chris

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help and give you loads of support and advice.