PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety - Can I get rabies from a dusty ceiling vent in China?

Kevinor762
02-05-18, 18:38
Basically during mid-late March I was in China. Where I am sure has LOTS of rabies.
I have severe health anxiety.
In the hotel bathroom ceiling was this vent or what not (made of wood/metal).. long story short rats or animals could've been in there although I did not physically see one.
Being the paranoid curious person I am afraid of being watched through a camera in the ceiling, I popped open the "tile" or square piece that gave way into the passageway.
I did this a few times and basically dust/germs, etc... was inhaled or was in contact with because I had cuts on my body and I had canker sore.
I don't even know what to do.
The quote saying that I should not fear death and instead fear NOT LIVING is not even reassuring me right now.
I really do not want to die.

neuroticcat
02-05-18, 18:53
What you are saying makes no sense at all. Rabies is spread to people from the saliva of infected animals.

Unless an animal bites you, you cannot get rabies.

lofwyr
02-05-18, 18:54
You couldn't get rabies from licking the dust vent, much less breathing the air. The only way to get rabies is through contact with an infected animal's saliva. If you didn't have contact with an infected animal's saliva, you are good.

Fishmanpa
02-05-18, 20:28
Serious question... You said in a previous post:

I have severe health anxiety and am currently doing CBT.

What exercise/worksheet would you use to rationalize this and how would you fill it out?

Does your therapist know you're posting on an anxiety forum for reassurance?

Also curious... How old are you?

Please have the courtesy to respond.

Positive thoughts

Carys
02-05-18, 20:48
Hi,

On all of your threads of the last few days, with many fears, people have replied to you. However, you've not gone back and replied, or said anything in response. Why is that ?

Kevinor762
03-05-18, 02:34
Sorry I'm kind of new to this.
Well no my therapist does not know.

Also what if I get hantavirus???

Carys
03-05-18, 07:17
Ok, well, hi and if you are new to it I'll give you a wee bit of advice. Hope it helps -

When people reply, and take the time out of their lives to try and help you, they appreciate a response on the thread you have created. They try and help, in the hope they've made a difference to you in some way, with no response at all from you - people don't even know if you've read the thread. People on here (who are also people with problems themselves) stop replying and get fed up when they see the OP doesn't care to answer.

As for the hantavirus - No. Even if it were vaguely possible to get Hantavirus this way, the time elapsed means you didn't get it. 2-3 weeks incubation and then you've be ill - and its now MAY.

What type of therapy are you having ?

Elen
03-05-18, 09:16
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1760556#post1760556

Please read the below post from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Fishmanpa
03-05-18, 13:00
Well no my therapist does not know.

What exercise/worksheet would you use to rationalize this and how would you fill it out?

Also curious... How old are you?

Show your therapist your threads here as they show the extent of your illness.

FMP

Kevinor762
03-05-18, 14:42
Hi all

Well I'm almost 20 (don't want to give out exact age).

Now I'm just worrying about something else which I posted for but got deleted.
I want to tell you all but it's a bit innapropriate.

I'm doing CBT and well maybe if I do the thought record it may help??

Carys
03-05-18, 14:46
I saw your post before it was deleted (didn't know it was deleted actually). You need to remember that people here can be 13 years old on the forum, and yes it was inappropriate. I know you have genuine concerns about the issue, but I honestly think you need to be bringing these issues up with your CBT therapist - as the concern you had (now deleted) is certainly irrational. :D

Kevinor762
03-05-18, 16:05
Hi guys adding onto my reply above,

About hantavirus... I have a cough now since yesterday because my throat feels itchy.

Carys
03-05-18, 16:08
Did you read the reply I made about Hantavirus...and why its not possible ?!

Kevinor762
03-05-18, 16:14
Yes I did read it!

But on the Govt of Canada Website it says:
"Symptoms appear 1 to 6 weeks after being exposed to the virus. They can include:

tiredness
dizziness
fever and chills
muscle aches and headaches
nausea and vomiting
stomach pain
coughing"

Well at one point or another I had those and now I have coughing.

Its been ALMOST 6 weeks. So I guess any moment now this cough will turn into full on hantavirus..

Im so close to going to the walk in clinic. But Im trying to fight it off.
Im sorry if it seems like Im not reading your posts (I am). Its just that my thoughts are really overpowering.

Carys
03-05-18, 16:24
So I guess any moment now this cough will turn into full on hantavirus.. About as likely as the dust from the Chinese ceiling having given you HIV! I don't think anything I say to you right now, with respect, will make any difference to how you are processing this. However, I have mice in my shed and I go in there all the time, sit on the floor and so on....mice are all around us and only certain species RARELY carry Hantavirus. You have moved from rabies to Hantavirus, and I suspect you will find another illness when the 'hantavirus' doesn't become hantavirus. :winks:

If you must look things up, which is not a good plan, then start looking up why you can't and won't have hantavirus. Stop trying to prove to yourself in your searches that you do have it. For example:-

In Canada since 1989 there have been 27 deaths from Hantaviruses. So, in 29 years - 27 deaths. Thats less than one person every year in a massive Country. I know you were in China - but I presume you were in a fairly ok hotel and not sleeping in a deprived area with rats and mice running over your bed ?

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-18, 16:41
Are you sure it got deleted? Nic merged your thread from earlier with the one previously that got moved to the men's issues board.

We see plenty of women on here talking about similar. Sometimes they edit things that are too graphic or delete them, they probably get complaints due to the 13+ issue with some.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Hi all

Well I'm almost 20 (don't want to give out exact age).

Now I'm just worrying about something else which I posted for but got deleted.
I want to tell you all but it's a bit innapropriate.

I'm doing CBT and well maybe if I do the thought record it may help??

A Thought Record is a good tool to use so worth trying. The information Carys has provided should help you to populate it.

Carys
03-05-18, 16:44
Ok, I stand corrected, the post made that I referred to as 'inappropriate' has been merged with another of the OP's threads. It isn;t deleted.

Fishmanpa
03-05-18, 17:15
Kev,

I strongly urge you to contact the mental health association (https://cmha.ca/documents/getting-help) in Canada. I strongly feel real life help and intervention is your best course of action.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
03-05-18, 17:17
Ok, I stand corrected, the post made that I referred to as 'inappropriate' has been merged with another of the OP's threads. It isn;t deleted.

I'm a bit :blush: about them merging them, it would take some serious yoga practice to achieve that :winks:

I think you have a valid point over content.

Kevinor762
03-05-18, 17:24
Hi All,
Thank you so much for the replies.
And as predicted my mind is now onto something else....
I hope you guys take the time to "deal" with me. Im sorry if Im becoming annoying to you all, I dont mean to do so.

Basically my dog sniffed a bowl of raw pork (the outside of the bowl which had the bacteria on it).
I come home with a sandwich in its wrapper which my DOG ALSO SNIFFED.
The wrapper ended up touching my sandwich and now Im scared im going to die from some infection.
Am I being rational...
What if some parasite worm will be living inside me and I wont know??
MY HANDS TOUCHED THE WRAPPER AND I ATE WITH MY HANDS.

Fishmanpa
03-05-18, 17:30
Respectfully,

I strongly urge you to contact the mental health association (https://cmha.ca/documents/getting-help) in Canada. I strongly feel real life help and intervention is your best course of action.

FMP