PDA

View Full Version : Driving mistake.

Samgad
03-05-18, 08:45
I was on a dual carriage way in the right hand lane. The left hand lane is meant to give way to the right on this particlar road. I was indicating left and slowed to let the car next to me get ahead, checked my mirrors and started pulling to the left. Suddenly theres a small motorbike/moped next to me beeping and swearing which if he hadn't beeped i wouldnt have noticed.

I didn't hit him so in reality no harm done but if i had it would have definately gone down as my fault (even if he should have given way to me) and i could have hurt him or lost my licence.

I normally love driving but this has really shaken me. How do i move past it?

Phuzella
03-05-18, 17:27
I know how you feel. Give it a few days and it'll move to the back of your mind. Nobody was hurt :)

Carys
03-05-18, 18:01
I think most drivers have had something like this happen at some point in their driving history - but if you are sensitive to understanding consequences of things, and feel a lot of personal responsibility (which obviously you do!) then it really rocks you.

How do i move past it? All any of us can do is learn from the experience and take action to avoid it happening, to the best of our abilities, again. I had exactly this happen to me a few years ago, it was a car I nearly pulled into though, which was in a blind spot - so now I always have a quick glance over my shoulder to the right or left side. Actually, not really over my shoulder, but look to the right or left out of the side of the car. It has worked for me and makes me feel more secure. However, what you could do is get some of those blind spot magnifying mirror things - you can get them on amazon and the like. You stick them on your normal wing mirrors. The other thing to always bear in mind, that I taught my daughter when she learnt a few years ago, is presume everybody else on the road is an idiot. LOL I don't think or mean that they are, but just because there are rules, and you follow them to the letter and drive really well, doesn't mean that others will. So, be on the lookout for those who are going to cut you up, undertake you, break the rules of the road and generally not do what they should do. Be ready for the unexpected.

Samgad
04-05-18, 08:33
Thanks both, feel a bit better today. I think the realosation of how quickly things can go wrong is eye opening at times. Theres no use obsessing over it anyway. Thanks again!

ankietyjoe
04-05-18, 11:59
The reality is that there are millions of vehicles on the road every day piloted by people with other things on their mind travelling at fatal velocities. It's amazing more incidents don't happen. It's no different than bumping into somebody on the street, but with more severe potential consequences.

You just need to let the experience process in your mind and then let it go.

Deadkndys420
07-05-18, 18:07
Have some time to relax and forget about it. But not for too long, or you'll start to think that you cannot drive again. Have slow and short trips and recover your confidence.