PDA

View Full Version : Should I have been wearing a thyroid collar when I had my regular dental x ray?

JaneS
04-05-18, 13:06
Just been for my regular dental check up and she took 2 x rays as I haven't had any dental ones for 5 years - should I have been offered a thyroid collar for protection or is this not normal procedure in the UK for standard dental x rays? Had dental x rays before and never been offered one but HA bad at the moment especially with relation to x rays and radiation and I made the mistake of googling about thyroid collars!! It was the type of machine that has an angled arm that is pointing directly at your cheek, on one side and then she moves it around to the other cheek - not the panoramic type that moves around your face. I was also sat up so I am presuming the angle and the type of machine means the beam does not cross the thyroid? Had a mammogram in November as well so am back panicking about too much radiation exposure!

Bigboyuk
04-05-18, 13:48
You would need constant exposure on a weekly basis to cause damage I would think and they have records that will show how many X-Rays you have had over a set period of time. You are thinking irrationally and are completely safe that you haven't been exposed to too much radiation ok :) ATB

JaneS
04-05-18, 14:12
Thanks for your reply - last dental x rays were 5 years ago. I do have an under active thyroid, so I guess that was worrying me too - in case it suffered more damage I guess!

BikerMatt
04-05-18, 15:39
When you go to the Dentist for your 6 month check up, they should give you an X-Ray, scale/polish and manual inspection as it's all included in the price. They don't give you an X-Ray and scale and polish everytime so they can make more £££££. When you think about it you're 20 X-Rays down that you could of potentially had.

JaneS
04-05-18, 16:24
That's very true! Thanks for calculating that - good to know.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Although our practice says they do them every 2 years - so I'm only 2 down. Still down though - but not as much as 20 if 6 months is the norm.

unsure_about_this
04-05-18, 16:39
That a good question, I have health anxiety myself.
you don't go for a dental xray every time you visit the dentist unless you are having treatment or your dentist wants a better to look.

Most dentists don't use the collar these days. I think the amount of radiation in the xray is small, possible the same amount of radiation daily off other things.

I had a few xrays without the collar, I think I read somewhere most dentist don't use them in fear of radiation bouncing off.

Carys
04-05-18, 17:18
Hiyer,

I've never heard of 'the collar', and go to a very modern dentist who I think is at the top of his game.....so looked it up. From what I can see there are lots of comments about it from 2012 onwards. It seems more often used in the US....there are currently US, UK and European guidelines but (unless anything has changed since 2012, which it might have done?) its not deemed necessary as such.

Here is some information that is repeated by a few dentist...

Current research shows that lead apron use is not required due to the limited exposure and tight beam pattern of current digital xrays.
There is no reason for lead apron use due to the improvements in digital radiography. In some instances, thyroid collar use is recommended if the xrays are in close proximity to the thyroid gland on younger clients.

My dentist does a full set every 2 years, and of course they might do a one off tooth if there is an issue with one. So, its seems a slightly controversial and non-universal issue, in the use of one. So, Basically, I guess it isn't standard or deemed necessary by many to use one. However, this is something - if you have thyroid issues - that I would certainly discuss with your dentist next time you visit. The bottom line is, its done now, and theres nothing you can do to reverse it - it was very low dose exposure and in a tight field.

JaneS
04-05-18, 19:44
Hiyer - thanks for your replies

What's really freaking me out now more than anything (as I keep thinking deeper) and has got me in a major panic, is the fact that I had an x ray on my throat as a child (could have been 45 years ago) and whether that has done any damage to my thyroid and that is why I now have an under active thyroid and have taken thyroxine for many years! Anyone else had an x ray on their throat and they're ok? Or anyone take thyroxine and not had an x ray on their throat - can a one off x ray cause hypothyroidism? Now I'm thinking I might develop something far worse ... help! Just want to enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend ...
I did speak to my dentist and she said they use to use lead aprons etc. many years ago but now it's not necessary - but I had an x ray of my throat years ago!!

Carys
04-05-18, 20:09
There we go - they say its no longer necessary, like the info I found. So, no you didn;t need one.

Sorry, don't know about the other issue and throat xrays etc.