PDA

View Full Version : I Stepped on dead roadkill and my shoe then scratched my leg

Kevinor762
05-05-18, 19:09
I was walking outside and I see this black flattened thing on the road that kinda resembles a rat.. I stepped on it and my shoe swiped my bare leg..
I have severe health anxiety and I'm freaking out about the diseases I just contracted..
Am I being irrational or do I go to the ER

HANTA DISEASE???
RABIES???

Carys
05-05-18, 19:14
Am I being irrational or do I go to the ERYou are being entirely irrational. No you don't go to ER.

So, it was dead roadkill rather than alive roadkill? Sorry couldn't resist. ;)

Kevinor762
05-05-18, 19:26
Dead roadkill... oops

NervUs
05-05-18, 19:43
You go home and wash your leg and do NOT go to the ER. What could they even do for you? (The answer is nothing).

Do you have any strategies for talking yourself down from panic?

Carys
05-05-18, 20:39
I honestly can't believe you would go to ER because 'maybe' your shoe maybe touched roadkill (you don't actually know it was, but it was a flattened black thing that resembled a rat) and then maybe touched your skin. I think that would be an astounding waste of their time, and take up the space needed by sick and injured people. As the poster above said - what would or could they do about something that is just a perceived threat you have created? (apart from throw you out)

You do know that all around us all the time are bacteria, viruses and various germs, mould, spores, and bits and bobs that are in the soil, in the air, in our food and everywhere. We encounter them all the time and our body deals with them. Infact it is dangerous to avoid living life contacting things with 'germs' as you need to give your body a chance to build immunity to things. I know of someone who had serious issues with the thought of 'infection' and took steps to sterilise everything, practically living in one room with OCD steps taken to avoid anyone who wasn't 100 percent well. When he did encounter a standard cold virus he was terribly awfully ill, and got a secondary infection...more so than any other person - he hadn't allowed his body the ability to deal with illness of 'germs'. Its an anecdote, but there is plenty of scientific evidence to prove that children need to experience bacteria and other things in order to develop in a healthy way. Oh and also, your skin PROTECTS you. Our bodies have loads of mechanisms for protecting us, they are deigned to do so, but the skin (as our largest organ) does a pretty damned good job of it. You are imagining you are constantly under seige, and you just aren't.

HANTA DISEASE???
RABIES???

These are your current obsessive fears, and of no relevance to this situation. Unless you scraped a mouldy maggoty rodent off the road which died from some hideous disease and then rubbed it into a large open cut on your leg for 20 minutes, then there is nothing to worry about. Infact, even if you had done that, its more than likely nothing to worry about after giving the cut a good wash and spray with antispectic.

Fishmanpa
05-05-18, 21:44
As long as you don't use the shoe for some strange self-gratification ritual, you'll be fine :shades:

FMP

Bigboyuk
05-05-18, 22:08
Dead roadkill... oops Sorry you need serious help with your HA that's all iam saying dude ATB

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 00:51
Do you guys think I'm being irrational if..

I was doing a workout kinda.
My arms were above the bar and basically I made my legs go up and down (straight) so my body could end up in a 90 degree where my body was upright and my legs would be infront of me and my arms were also upright holding onto the bar (whole arm was below bar).
MY CHEST HURT AND WHAT IF I BROKE A RIB BONE OR SOMETHING AND I PUNCTURED MY LUNG AND MY LUNGS WILL COLLAPSE AND I DIE???
It doesn't hurt now but what if...

Fishmanpa
06-05-18, 01:00

My arms were above the bar and basically I made my legs go up and down (straight) so my body could end up in a 90 degree where my body was upright and my legs would be infront of me and my arms were also upright holding onto the bar (whole arm was below bar).
MY CHEST HURT AND WHAT IF I BROKE A RIB BONE OR SOMETHING AND I PUNCTURED MY LUNG AND MY LUNGS WILL COLLAPSE AND I DIE???
It doesn't hurt now but what if...

Well, for one, respectfully, you wouldn't be posting totally irrational fears like this. I guess we'll know if we don't see you post again :winks:

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
06-05-18, 01:07

It doesn't hurt now but what if... Respectfully could you answer my question about getting help for your HA what are doing about it???

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-18, 02:04
You mean you were doing leg raises? Ones where you went from an above bar to hanging position as you raised your legs?

They are just taxing as they hit the lower abs more. And if you added a whole body movement to it it would mean more emphasis on core stabilisation too as you moved through the movement.

But it's just an exercise like any other. To cause injury needs a lot of force, a too much weight, poor form, etc. You wouldn't puncture a lung through something like this, the movement is all wrong for a start. And you would know, there would be plenty of pain and it wouldn't go.

Remember those Thought Records? It's time to start using them as you are being triggered by lots of things and need to work on controlling your reactions to irrational thoughts.

swajj
06-05-18, 02:06
Go and play with your friends or do your homework or something.

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 02:07
I'm getting cbt

Fishmanpa
06-05-18, 02:16
I'm getting cbt

Then you should be quite familiar with this. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) Perhaps it would be prudent to practice some of the skills you've learned instead of seeking reassurance.

FMP

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 04:56
You are right.

Do you think anxiety ever goes away

lofwyr
06-05-18, 05:27
You are right.

Do you think anxiety ever goes away
Absolutely, but you have to work at it. Seeking reassurance will not lead you there.

Carys
06-05-18, 08:33
Not a word of thanks, or even mentioning of the long post I made, not even a quick comment, no questions answered. You move from one fear to another so quickly, with such incredible dramatic speed that I was even wondering if you are trolling here, but I somehow feel you aren't.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

Kevinor -

Where were you posting your reassurance threads before coming here ? Your comments are so quick to change, your HA so bad its astounding, and yet I cant imagine that this has come on overnight and you just started posting on NMP. I'm interested...

paranoid-viking
06-05-18, 11:15
There was a roadkill post her last week or so. It must be true; people in here really get triggered by reading others posts. It should help peoples anxieties but are often counter productive.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Not a word of thanks, or even mentioning of the long post I made, not even a quick comment, no questions answered. You move from one fear to another so quickly, with such incredible dramatic speed that I was even wondering if you are trolling here, but I somehow feel you aren't.[COLOR=blue]

Extreme irrational hypocondria can seem like trolling for outsiders, but it is very real for them. It is constant obsessive thoughts.

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 14:21
Hello all.

Last night I was at work and I did not have time to really say this.

Thank you for the time you take into writing words of reassurance for me. I do read your posts throughly during my small breaks at work but things end up "occurring" (I'm a lifeguard) and I quickly get carried away.
I would like to apologize to those who may have felt like I was ignoring them (which I wasn't) because I haven't replied yet. So again thank you, I appreciate your help very much.

Right now I'm on the verge of going on doctor google. I am almost convinced that I have all these diseases.
For once I am stopping myself. But now the thought of what if I don't do anything? Is here.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

By the way..
I was on YAHOO ANSWERS... before this. I'm starting to get how things work around here.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

And well thought records..

So many fears in a day.. should I keep up with all of them???

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Do any of you seek religion for help

Carys
06-05-18, 14:41
Thank you for the time you take into writing words of reassurance for me. I do read your posts throughly during my small breaks at work but things end up "occurring" (I'm a lifeguard) and I quickly get carried away.
I would like to apologize to those who may have felt like I was ignoring them (which I wasn't) because I haven't replied yet. So again thank you, I appreciate your help very much.

I appreciate you writing this. Thank you. :D

MyNameIsTerry
06-05-18, 14:45
You could try pre - preparing a Thought Record for persistent repetitive fears. Maybe even a generic one too? Then refer back to it and work through it to reframe your thoughts.

Glad to hear you focus on your job when at work!

Fishmanpa
06-05-18, 15:28
I'm a lifeguard

I appreciate your acknowledgement and glad to see you focusing your attention properly. You actually sound like a different person in that last post.

Do me/us a favor will you?

No "Brain eating amoeba from pool water" threads please! :lac:

Positive thoughts

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 16:53
Thanks all!

Here's the thing.
At first my thoughts are sooooo real to me.
As time passes they usually fade away. I look back and i find it ridiculous.

Does this happen to you?

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

I'm going to be honest.

I didn't try thought records yet. I will now I'll let you know how it goes!

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

WAIT did I post a pool water brain eating amoeba post?
If not.. you read my mind.
I was legit scared about that yesterday

Fishmanpa
06-05-18, 16:59
WAIT did I post a pool water brain eating amoeba post?
If not.. you read my mind.
I was legit scared about that yesterday

You posted about getting from the bathroom faucet which is impossible as the organism does not exist in chlorinated drinking water. Seeing that you're a lifeguard, I was anticipating a repeat performance ;)

You can add that to your ridiculous list.

Positive thoughts

Carys
06-05-18, 18:46
Errr yeah you did post about it, here....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=216901

So, see you don't need to bother posting about it now, as you didn't have it last time and won't have it yesterday/today either. :blush: You doubly won't get it from pool water as in the chlorinated water it is entirely impossible.

Kevinor762
06-05-18, 22:17
:/
I wonder how people without a mental disorder live.
I bet they're happy. Why can't I be happy..
That's a thought I have a lot.
Anyways when I was a young kid I never thought like this. I don't know why I ended up getting anxiety years ago.

Kevinor762
07-05-18, 02:51
Yikes...

I just scared myself.

Soon I'm starting work at beaches.

Lake Ontario.. I'm going to be in that water often. I'm sure I'll get water up my nose sooner or later. How do I deal with that and anxiety?

Carys
07-05-18, 09:22
I'm sure I'll get water up my nose sooner or later. How do I deal with that and anxiety?

You remind yourself how rare the brain eating whatsit it - far less cases per year than get hit by lightening, far less!

You remind yourself that everyone else is at and in Lake Ontario too (swimming?)! They aren't all dropping dead. Lake Ontario is still 'open for business' and I doubt there has been one case there ever.

Fishmanpa
07-05-18, 13:06
Lake Ontario is still 'open for business' and I doubt there has been one case there ever.

Never ever in Northern waters or Lake Ontario. In fact, Lake Ontario is one of the cleanest fresh water lakes in America.

Positive thoughts