PDA

View Full Version : For Those Worried About Blood Clots

Pkstracy
05-05-18, 20:13
Hello all, I was browsing the forum and see a lot of posts about people worried about blood clots, me being one of them, I did a lot of research, talked to a few nurses online and even someone that I know that has and has had blood clots this is what they have all told me.

Blood clot symptoms are redness, pain like a charley horse or muscle cramp (bad pain), tenderness, swelling (much like cellulitis) warm or hot to touch, rapid heart rate, fever, chills (in some cases) (If you have ever had cellulitis then you know what all these are like, and blood clots mimic that, that is why in some cases of cellulitis they do tests to rule out if it's not a blood clot, itchy skin in the area where the clot is that wont go away.
Not being able to flex your toes without feeling pain in your calf or the area where the clot may be.
Risk factors are (but not always and you need to have more than one symptom)
Smokers
Obese
Varicose Veins (can be a sign of, not always, know lots of elderly who have varicose veins and not one has ever had a blood clot)
Wear tight clothing or shoes
Sit for more than an hour to two hours without moving or changing position.
Long flights over four hours, car trips over four hours without moving or stretching
Family history of blood clots
history of clots yourself
pregnancy
taking birth control or other meds that may cause them
high blood pressure
Diabetes
high sodium diet
dehydration
surgery or injury,(like a hard really hard bump or fall or other major trauma to the area)
They suggested setting a timer if you are at home and getting up every thirty mins and move around, get a drink of water, go to the bathroom and or just stand and move and even do squats. If you smoke stop, if you have a high sodium diet, lower your salt intake, drink more water, wear compression stockings if you have varicose veins, or are going on a long trip, or just sit too much, exercise, try to maintain healthy weight. I hope this helped put your mind at ease I know it has mine.