PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Rele
07-05-18, 17:21
Hi everyone :)

I'm a 25 year old guy living in South Lanarkshire in Scotland. Although originally from West Sussex. I previously spent 5 years living in Wales.

My anxiety tends to focus on my health. After the sudden death of my mother in late 2012, I found myself convinced for 2 years that I was on the road to schizophrenia town. This was easily the worst time of my life and, with medication and the love of my beautiful girlfriend, I pulled through. We went on to have a perfect little girl and we've got another one on the way.

In November 2017, after over a year of feeling good, I decided to come off of the Venlafaxine that I credit with saving my life. Since then, however, I've not been good. I started feeling a bit down, which I put down to the long winter we've just had and also moving to a new country where I know nobody. This has now progressed to full-blown, life ruining anxiety in such a short period of time. I am now convinced I'm suffering from both bowel and throat cancer as well as niggling thoughts of MS.

The underlying dread/panic feeling is so similar it's bringing back memories of my last episode and I'm terrified. How can I expect my pregnant partner to deal with this again? I'm a dad now and I can't play with my daughter because I'm so crippled by 24/7 panic. The stakes this time are so much higher and I don't know how we're going to cope as a family.

Anyway, that's me... Or what's probably the worst of me. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you guys. You all seem so wise and knowledgeable.

venusbluejeans
07-05-18, 17:28
Hiya Rele and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
15-05-18, 14:27
Good Morning Rele.

Your story really hit home for me. Twenty years ago I had my first panic attack while working as a prison guard. (Seriously) And for the last two decades I've had my share of up's and down's, but it has been the role as a Dad and Husband that has pulled me through some rough days.

Don't look at your role as a father with dread, pull from the strength to be the person you know you can. Listen we'll do anything for our children, it's that stubborn resiliency that will pull you through this my friend. Not everyday is going to be good, but nether is it for any normal parent. You look into those eyes that love you without condition and find the strength to walk another day.

Best to you on your journey Rele, and congrats to you and your wife.

Rele
28-05-18, 08:42
Good Morning Rele.

Your story really hit home for me. Twenty years ago I had my first panic attack while working as a prison guard. (Seriously) And for the last two decades I've had my share of up's and down's, but it has been the role as a Dad and Husband that has pulled me through some rough days.

Don't look at your role as a father with dread, pull from the strength to be the person you know you can. Listen we'll do anything for our children, it's that stubborn resiliency that will pull you through this my friend. Not everyday is going to be good, but nether is it for any normal parent. You look into those eyes that love you without condition and find the strength to walk another day.

Best to you on your journey Rele, and congrats to you and your wife.

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I know it's almost a cliché but just knowing there are others going through similar situations really puts things into perspective.

You're right, being a Dad is extremely difficult, but I know one thing for certain; if I didn't have my family around me I'd be in a much worse place than I am now. Even if it's something as simple as my daughter dragging me up off the sofa to dance to some silly song on the TV, it snaps me out of the negative thinking :D

Thanks for taking the time to write back. All the best on your journey too :)

Southern_Belle
29-05-18, 00:27
Hi Rele,

Welcome to NPM. You will find many posts relating to what you are going through. Good luck and so glad you found us.

Laura