PDA

View Full Version : Been prescribed 10mg of Citalopram, don't know if to take it after my last SSRI exper

Burgerrelish
07-05-18, 18:52
Hi all.

A bit of backstory. When I was 15/16 years old I was on Sertaline. The beginning effects I remember were bad sweating. The doctor put me up 50mg/100mg/150mg over a few months and finally 200mg. Anyway it didn't do much in the way of helping my anxiety. I do remember the physical symptons of an anxiety attack were decreased, but that didn't make me any less scared.
200mg was an experience I never want to go back to, I felt like I had paranoid schizophrenia, suicidal and homicidal ideation.
I explained to my doctor, quite vaguely about what I had read online, rather than explaining I had these specific thoughts too. She said that simply people with such thoughts were more likely to be on the medication in the first place, so correlation does not imply causation.

Anyway I wasn't happy about it. And I threw them away and went cold turkey from 200mg to 0mg. Surprisingly I don't remember any withdrawal symptons. And I went back to feeling like the me I knew, I can't remember how long that took.

Anyway, my anxiety has got worse since. I now have symptons of agoraphobia.
I was prescribed Citalopram 20mg about two months ago, I never took it after reading online the effects some people had like bad dreams.
I hate medication, always have. I'm someone who won't even take paracetamol unless I really need it.

Anyway, I went back recently and told him I was too scared of the side effects. He's now prescribed me 10mg instead. I haven't took it yet.

I know it's not the same as Citalopram, but I don't want to take it if it's going to cause the same effects as Sertaline did.
Both my parents have took Citalopram in their lives and didn't have any serious problems, so that makes me feel better incase it's a genetic thing.

So what do you all think. Should I give it a go, or should I call it SSRIs clearly aren't the right drug for me after the Sertaline incident.
Thanks all. <3

Benjammin69
07-05-18, 20:36
SSRI’s have the same mode of action but they are different drugs so you should really try 1 or 2 before you rule out the class of drug... give it a go. I didn’t work well with any Ssri unfortunately any serotogenic drug doesn’t sit well with me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk