PDA

View Full Version : Pancreatic Cancer

Kopesy
07-05-18, 21:46
Hello :weep:

It's been many weeks of absolute fear and sadness. What started as chest and stomach pains at the beginning of the year, that went to radiation sickness and now it's come right back around to stomach issues. The real issue.

I'm pretty convinced that at 28, I've been dealt a crappy luck and have been suffering for pancreatic cancer for since at least the start of the year.

My obsession with radiation poisoning and the symptoms I attributed to it ran alongside it with absolute coincidence. What would of and should have been caught early has now become much much worse and untreatable.

The flu and sweats I had during Christmas are what were the first signs of pc. The stomach aches and heart burn followed, then the bad toilets - pale/yellow, undigested, floating and loose.
My nails have since had a white line going through each of them nearer the top. I've also got increasingly growing lymph nodes growing in my groin area, that which i found during a brief spell of fever and hot flushes. I also have bouts of itchiness and petechiae all over my body. This I've attributed to the spreading of the cancer, thus now being in a more advanced stage.
My lack of taste which is still a thing 6+ weeks on has been known to happen to people with pc...

I should have put more effort into what was real and not what I thought. I would have stood a better chance instead of lowering my immune system worrying about radiation and making it grow and spread because of it.

I'm not ready die. Who is at 28? I've pushed my girlfriend to the brink with my constant crying and breakdowns. If only I'd listened to her. I've been selfish and unsympathetic to how she's been feeling. Even knowing it I still cry and make her efforts at trying to help be put to waste.

I'm an awful person and I'm going to die knowing that. Not ever having the chance to put right my wrongs and giving my girlfriend - my absolute love, the best life she deserves.

I'm so devastated. :weep:

SarahNah
07-05-18, 21:54
Wait, so is this officially diagnosed?

BikerMatt
07-05-18, 22:31
Have you been to see your GP? Had any tests?

nomorepanic
07-05-18, 23:24
You haven't been diagnosed though have you?

Kopesy
08-05-18, 08:09
No, it's not confirmed, but I know it'll be this. When I connect the dots as to how I've been feeling.. since before Christmas actually, then it makes sense :weep:

I hope I'm very wrong, but everything adds up.

WiseMonkey
08-05-18, 09:19
No, it's not confirmed, but I know it'll be this. When I connect the dots as to how I've been feeling.. since before Christmas actually, then it makes sense :weep:

So why don't you see your Dr and get a scan?

wilky44
08-05-18, 09:47
All of these can be attributed to other things rather than PC. If you say you think you've had it since Xmas, you'd be very ill by now!

Jaundice? No. Weight loss? Fatigue? Vomiting?

Sweats, fingernail issue, none of which are symptoms.

Occasional bouts of itching. This would be severe and you would have Jaundice due to the build of of bile salts.

You're making your symptoms fit with what you think you want.

Also, pc is exceedingly rare in your 20's

Phuzella
08-05-18, 12:25
I thought you feared it was radiation sickness ?

paranoid-viking
08-05-18, 15:02

This is a classic case of hypocondria going mad. None of the things you write screams pancreatic cancer. These are all common symptoms of many things, but you are obsessing yourself over the worst worst worst case scenario. Yoy may have googled and read about other things it could be but been thinking, but it lacks so and so so it cant be that, while at the same time been reading about PC, and although you read that some symptoms of PC lacks you are thinking "but I have read about people who did not have these symptoms and it turned out to be PC". You see, that is how a helath anxious mind plays trick on you. You put 2 and 2 together and get 5.
You say that it makes sense but it does not. But when you are a hypocondriac the worst case scenario always makes sense. Even people who believe they are among the 5 people in the world designated to be infected by brain eating amoebas. You do find them on this forum.
Besides, it sounds as if your "symptoms" comes and goes. Pancreatic cancer is a fast spreading aggresive cancer forms so symptoms does not suddenly come and then vanish. It gets progresively worse and worse.

Please dont post your fears on forums for cancer patients and their families. That is very disprespectful to those actually suffering this, and you are not one of them. Post it here.

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

I had a susoicion based on the nature of the post that the OP is someone posting his fear on cancer forums and yes, so he did. A quick google search. I am not linking to it as such sites are trigggering peoples fear. It is wrong to do such a thing when you dont have cancer but only fears it while there are people there actually dealing woth it and dying.

Carys
08-05-18, 16:05
You are 28 years old, per 100,000 people, 0 in your age-group are diagnosed.

Kopesy
08-05-18, 18:58
I have a CT scan booked tomorrow morning. I was assessed today and they thought it worth the scan due to what I've been experiencing.

Can't say I'm thrilled with having more radiation due to my other anxiety, but I think this is worth it if I'm considering the worst.

@paranoid-viking - I get you, and I hope you're right. In regards to posting on cancer forums, it was under the signs and symptoms category. So there shouldn't be anyone feeling triggered or offended, as it's full of posts with people concerned, not diagnosed. I agree completely if it were asked directly to those knowingly suffering, and I'd never do that.

I just really hope this shows nothing. That everything is normal, including my enlarged lymph nodes. I'd be so happy knowing it's just stress, anxiety and mental fatigue.

Wish me luck :)

Carys
08-05-18, 19:29
Hiyer Kopsey,

In regards to posting on cancer forums, it was under the signs and symptoms category. So there shouldn't be anyone feeling triggered or offended, as it's full of posts with people concerned, not diagnosed. I agree completely if it were asked directly to those knowingly suffering, and I'd never do that.I agree with you on this actually. On another cancer forum, not pancreatic, people come on all the time to ask advice as they are worried about 'signs and symptoms'. They are undiagnosed at that point in time, and there is a specific forum part they can use therefore. (as you did)

So, ok, good - you are getting the 'full works' done. There was another guy who thought he had pancreatic cancer, and has the 'right' symptoms on here a few months ago. He had a pancreatic cyst. So, remember not all symptoms are cancer. I really hope you finally get to the bottom of everything tomorrow, as I know you have had some real physical symptoms that medics have observed.

So, was it your GP who assessed and put you forward for the CT scan? That has happened quickly ?!

Phuzella
08-05-18, 19:42
So more radiation?

Fishmanpa
08-05-18, 20:02
Sorry, no, I don't agree at all with posting on the cancer forums, ALS forums or any other serious illness forums. There may be a signs and symptoms section but all it really is, is a section for HA sufferers to post about their fear du jour. And those answering the questions and offering reassurance are actual sufferers and their loved ones.

I found NMP because I followed a few HAers over from the H&N cancer forum I was part of. Typically, the member would follow the same patterns you see here and admin would end up blocking them as it was apparent the individual had a mental illness as opposed to a physical one.

No... DO NOT disrespect the people who are actually suffering from the illness you "fear". Take your doctor's word and treat the illness you do have.

That being said, I cannot believe you're getting another CT after the last thread!

Anyway... I'm out :mad:

FMP

BikerMatt
08-05-18, 20:04
I have a CT scan booked tomorrow morning. I was assessed today and they thought it worth the scan due to what I've been experiencing.

Can't say I'm thrilled with having more radiation due to my other anxiety, but I think this is worth it if I'm considering the worst.

@paranoid-viking - I get you, and I hope you're right. In regards to posting on cancer forums, it was under the signs and symptoms category. So there shouldn't be anyone feeling triggered or offended, as it's full of posts with people concerned, not diagnosed. I agree completely if it were asked directly to those knowingly suffering, and I'd never do that.

I just really hope this shows nothing. That everything is normal, including my enlarged lymph nodes. I'd be so happy knowing it's just stress, anxiety and mental fatigue.

Wish me luck :)

Good luck!

Assessed by who? How have you managed to get a CT scan that quick? Private?

unsure_about_this
08-05-18, 20:58
Good luck hopefully you will get some answers about your symptoms after you had your ct scan.

Carys
08-05-18, 21:10
Sorry, no, I don't agree at all with posting on the cancer forumsWell, I disagree with you FMP. Its not some private club where only if you've had the definitive 'yes' you can enter. I think providing you only stick to the area where people are concerned about symptoms and not diagnosed, and you are sensitive to others around you, I can't see the issue. I obviously agree that getting yourself involved in pages for those who are diagnosed is grossly inappropriate however.
On the breast cancer forum this is positively encouraged - there is an area actually called 'do I have breast cancer?' and people go there if they feel they have symptoms. Many of the cancer charities spend considerable time trying to raise awareness of the condititions they are interested in, and see supporting people who think they 'might' have a problem as part of the deal. There is also an aim of getting people to consider the symptoms they are having and be aware of their own health e.g. teaching people about the signs of strokes, teaching people to check their testes, raising awareness about mouth ulcers and oral changes, instructing and raising awareness of breast checking techniques.
So, its not unreasonable for people to use those parts of forums in the manner in which they are intended. Those with HA and overuse the feature, or use inapproriately, will soon be weeded out as they become obvious, but that doesn't mean that the door should be shut to anyone who wants to post there who is worried.

There may be a signs and symptoms section but all it really is, is a section for HA sufferers to post about their fear du jour.
Disagree on this also. That is not at all how it is on a couple of others I use. Maybe you have used some that are particularly bad for attracting HA people ? Those who visit feel they have a problem, they do have a problem a physical concern - they are either putting off visiting the doctor, have found something that should be checked or are waiting to be referred (or have been referred). Mostly they are in that awful waiting period after referral and waiting for a clinic appointment, or waiting biopsy results. There has to be a place for these people- they aren't HA sufferers - but they do need some help. Some on that 'signs and symptoms' page end up getting diagnosed, some end up having a benign problem, some nothing of concern.

Kopsey is having a really hard time. I don't know him in real life, but he comes across here as a kind and thoughtful person. Even if this turns out to be a mental health issue, rather than physical, we should all be aware that mental health illnesses can incredibly hard to overcome, they are debilitating and people can suffer horribly. (Sometimes more so than many serious physical illnesses.)

Fishmanpa
08-05-18, 21:20
Agree to disagree. From the H&N forum this week... sound familiar?

FMP

Hello,

For the past year (14 months) I have been experiencing swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. I feel three total nodes and only one is soft and palpable.

I have seen 3 different ENTs and they all say everything is normal, but I do not feel that way. In addition to the swollen nodes, there is a constant dull pain in the upper area on the right side of my neck. Also, there is a large mass on the very far back of my tongue. The mass was diagnosed as a swollen circumvallete papillae. It hasn't changed sizes in over a year.

As far as the pain goes, it comes down the right side of my neck, to my shoulder, to my right arm and I feel as if it continues down into my right lower groin. This has been on going well over a year. I have been to the doctor multiple times and every time I go they say nothing is wrong. All my blood work is normal, Ct scan showed nothing abnormal and all throats examines were normal.

Where do I go from here? The constant pain is driving me crazy and I feel like every time I see an ENT, I'm not getting a quality exam. I know something is wrong. My swollen nodes aren't there just because.

Any insight will be appreciate.

Carys
08-05-18, 22:05
Yeah it does.....but surely it is obvious this person has HA?
Most people should easily see that ? It is up to people if they
Want to reply or not.

Kopesy
08-05-18, 23:18
Thanks for your support, guys :)

It was the consultant who asked for a CT to be done after examining me physically. I was told by my GP to go to A&E actually, to my surprise, and it was there that I was moved to the ACC unit for further assessment.

While I do indeed have an anxiety about radiation, though more so due to me thinking that particular one went wrong, not a normal scan itself (although radiation isn't very nice an idea anyway), I have to weigh up those fears vs this fear. It's not an ideal place to be in my head, whether it is due to my anxiety or not (I hope it's the former), but I feel it's something I need now just to know.

I very much hope it's all for nothing, in the sense of everything being clear and healthy. I want very much to be proven to have what is no doubt crippling health anxiety. I appreciate your comments when trying to dissuade me from thinking the worst. I'm sure you've seen it many-a-time where you might think 'I told you so'. I really hope I'm another one of those cases. I understand that some might feel strongly towards a point, especially when experiencing it first hand, I don't think I've been disrespectful in any way, at least I'm consciously trying my best not to be.

Thanks again. I hope to be back with good news :)

BikerMatt
08-05-18, 23:27
Well it sounds like you have a great GP, and have to say you're very, very, very, very, very lucky to be getting a CT that quick.

Good luck with it all!!

Fishmanpa
08-05-18, 23:52
Yeah it does.....but surely it is obvious this person has HA?
Most people should easily see that ? It is up to people if they
Want to reply or not.

I certainly see it! Many don't recognize it as readily. I typically alert admin to it as well, especially if I see them on an anxiety site. They get a dose of reassurance, some reality from good ol' FMP and if they persist, admin typically gives them a warning and then they're banned if they continue.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-18, 02:03
Well, I disagree with you FMP. Its not some private club where only if you've had the definitive 'yes' you can enter. I think providing you only stick to the area where people are concerned about symptoms and not diagnosed, and you are sensitive to others around you, I can't see the issue. I obviously agree that getting yourself involved in pages for those who are diagnosed is grossly inappropriate however.
On the breast cancer forum this is positively encouraged - there is an area actually called 'do I have breast cancer?' and people go there if they feel they have symptoms. Many of the cancer charities spend considerable time trying to raise awareness of the condititions they are interested in, and see supporting people who think they 'might' have a problem as part of the deal. There is also an aim of getting people to consider the symptoms they are having and be aware of their own health e.g. teaching people about the signs of strokes, teaching people to check their testes, raising awareness about mouth ulcers and oral changes, instructing and raising awareness of breast checking techniques.
So, its not unreasonable for people to use those parts of forums in the manner in which they are intended. Those with HA and overuse the feature, or use inapproriately, will soon be weeded out as they become obvious, but that doesn't mean that the door should be shut to anyone who wants to post there who is worried.

Disagree on this also. That is not at all how it is on a couple of others I use. Maybe you have used some that are particularly bad for attracting HA people ? Those who visit feel they have a problem, they do have a problem a physical concern - they are either putting off visiting the doctor, have found something that should be checked or are waiting to be referred (or have been referred). Mostly they are in that awful waiting period after referral and waiting for a clinic appointment, or waiting biopsy results. There has to be a place for these people- they aren't HA sufferers - but they do need some help. Some on that 'signs and symptoms' page end up getting diagnosed, some end up having a benign problem, some nothing of concern.

Kopsey is having a really hard time. I don't know him in real life, but he comes across here as a kind and thoughtful person. Even if this turns out to be a mental health issue, rather than physical, we should all be aware that mental health illnesses can incredibly hard to overcome, they are debilitating and people can suffer horribly. (Sometimes more so than many serious physical illnesses.)

One reason I think anxiety sufferers should post here rather than on a site like those is because I don't believe they will have enough knowledge of anxiety. Some will, some won't. And there will be high emotion involved. I would be concerned anxiety sufferers may be met with some ignorance as well as frustration. If anxiety sufferers on here can demonstrate ignorance, which happens, then it can happen there.

But to be fair, all that matters is what the site owners want from their site. If they are happy to accept non diagnosed sufferers then they have to accept they will get these people too. If real cancer sufferers have a problem with that then they can only lobby their own site for change. If the site disagrees with their views, they need to accept the situation because just like on here who pays the piper calls the tune.

And then there is this (which I've quoted several times before on the HA board about this subject over the years and never had any responses):

If you are truly obsessively worried about some illness, research it properly – contact the support group – there is always one – and get the booklets and ask to be put in contact with a sufferer and make the effort to speak to them and discuss your issues.

Where does that come from? NMP's own articles on HA:

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety

That goes even further than posting on a forum in asking for a buddy.

I agree with you about a board liked that, remove it and you push away the undiagnosed non anxiety sufferers too which is ludicrous. It may even contribute to people not taking action and seeing doctors.

---------- Post added at 02:03 ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 ----------

Thanks for your support, guys :)

It was the consultant who asked for a CT to be done after examining me physically. I was told by my GP to go to A&E actually, to my surprise, and it was there that I was moved to the ACC unit for further assessment.

While I do indeed have an anxiety about radiation, though more so due to me thinking that particular one went wrong, not a normal scan itself (although radiation isn't very nice an idea anyway), I have to weigh up those fears vs this fear. It's not an ideal place to be in my head, whether it is due to my anxiety or not (I hope it's the former), but I feel it's something I need now just to know.

I very much hope it's all for nothing, in the sense of everything being clear and healthy. I want very much to be proven to have what is no doubt crippling health anxiety. I appreciate your comments when trying to dissuade me from thinking the worst. I'm sure you've seen it many-a-time where you might think 'I told you so'. I really hope I'm another one of those cases. I understand that some might feel strongly towards a point, especially when experiencing it first hand, I don't think I've been disrespectful in any way, at least I'm consciously trying my best not to be.

Thanks again. I hope to be back with good news :)

I'm glad to see you post this because you started off in a very negative mindset. I'm sure your GF would prefer to be there for you and so would you. Even if you don't talk much about your fears you can still be together and support each other with things as simple as some quality time watching a film or having a laugh at something.

GP's can refer people straight into a back office A&E that exists for their referrals. My mum has been to them and the GP rings ahead so A&E pass you through. But this doesn't have to mean the worst because GP's often use urgent services when they need faster results (as they do with the 2 week urgent cancer testing services) but the ACC can be for many issues. For instance, my mum went into ACC because she had had diarrhoea for 2 weeks and her body was struggling and they juiced her up on a drip and kept her in for a few days to them discharger her perfectly well.

If doctors suspect something like cancer they will mention the possibility. The NHS charter is clear on engaging with patients. Two consultants have explained this to my dad & brother at their referrals. They were told cancer couldn't be ruled out without testing but they expected testing to reveal what they considered more likely, and they were right.

Your symptoms can fit into many things and from my own experience there are several I've had myself with anxiety. That doesn't mean you may not have some physical issues that requires treatment but it does mean there is the possibility it is anxiety or that some symptoms are anxiety adding on top of a treatable issue. And paranoid-Viking explained, and he should know from all his searching about PC, some useful experiences of his own as well as pointed out the negative thinking style issues.

Carys
09-05-18, 08:33
KOPSEY - All the very best to you today, I have my fingers SO SO firmly crossed that there is nothing untoward going on and you can put your mind to rest about this being the reason for your symptoms. Take care and do let us know.

__________________________________________________ ______________

OK can I be clear here - and maybe people are not understanding my meaning about this cancer site/HA site posting thing. I am not saying HA sufferers should go to those sites! Let me try and explain further -

One reason I think anxiety sufferers should post here rather than on a site like those is because I don't believe they will have enough knowledge of anxiety.Absolutely! I agree Terry, but sometimes I think the 'knowledge' here doesn't extend to people that also have physical tests they are waiting on, and genuine physical concerns. However, those people on the cancer site DO have knowledge of the medical conditions and that is why people post there, to glean that knowledge. Some people who post there shouldn't be, as it is their concern of the day, they will be weeded out as their pattern is observed - but some who are not diagnosed with anything do it because they have symptoms and are scared and don't quite fit on this forum, and don't quite fit on the illness forum. The door shouldn't be closed to those people, and this is what you have also commented on in your post above too.

Kopsey, to my mind (I've been following his story all the way through via various threads and on PM), is an unusual case. He has had some discrepancies comes back in bloods and has had a few symptoms that medics have observed quite clearly, and a dentist has observed! He has had confirmed that something exists, hence why his GP is taking the steps today. He has been back and forth trying to get to the bottom of what is going on - as he has HA as a background condition he fits here , BUT, I can see that partly he fits on the 'signs and symptoms' part of another illness forum at this point. He is an unusual case, but not alone as others come here at this kind of point in life.

I feel some members here are so used to saying 'anxiety, anxiety anxiety' that they have lost sight of the fact, and are blind to the fact that, some people are facing genuine health concerns, and MIGHT have some underlying condition. Just as doctors need to be aware that in people with anxiety they might also get ill, we should too, and remember that when reading peoples' individual cases.

I am referring in all of this essay :winks: to people who have genuine symptoms who also have anxiety about it. I think this is where the confusion about this issue is coming from in this discussion, FMP you are referring to people who just have HA, and have had it proved that it is just HA.

I want to quote you an example - There was a guy a few months ago, with background HA anxiety (though to be truthful I would have had anxiety if I were him as he had a few unusual diagnosed conditions), who thought he had pancreatic cancer. He wasn't just someone with HA, he had observable symptoms and was waiting on results. He was told he had cysts on the pancreas eventually. So, he had a medical reason for his pain and problems - but luckily not cancer. He felt there wasn't there right place to discuss his problems (we also talked via pm). He said that he didn't quite fit here as everyone was presuming everything was 'in his mind', but he also didn't quite fit on the cancer forum as was sensitive to the fact he had no diagnosis. He was thoughtful and respectful like Kopsey and I honestly, in my pm discussions with him felt concerned he was going to get a diagnosis of 'something' too. He did, but happily not cancer. I listed on this thread a general comment about how there wasn't a 'place' for people like this guy, and all the assorted others who are in the height of stressful states about real symptoms.

Individual cases need to be considered about why some people post here and on a cancer sites or other illness sites. Of course, as a HA sufferer crashing on in about 'illness of the day' is not appropriate. However, there are some who genuinely can't find the place where they 'fit' at this sort of time and we here to need to be mindful of that.

WiseMonkey
09-05-18, 09:41
You haven't got PC, but you could have some common stomach issue which is benign. A scan will put your fears to rest (maybe/hopefully).

We all have lymph nodes and slim/thin people have lymph nodes that can be felt quite easily.

Where did you get this crazy fear of radiation sickness from? I've known cancer patients who have had radiation treatment and they haven't got (or had) radiation sickness. So this is paranoia or magical thinking which is completely removed from reality!

You test will be fine or else some benign cause which can be easily remedied.

paranoid-viking
09-05-18, 11:09
Agree to disagree. From the H&N forum this week... sound familiar?

FMP

Hello,

For the past year (14 months) I have been experiencing swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. I feel three total nodes and only one is soft and palpable.

I have seen 3 different ENTs and they all say everything is normal, but I do not feel that way. In addition to the swollen nodes, there is a constant dull pain in the upper area on the right side of my neck. Also, there is a large mass on the very far back of my tongue. The mass was diagnosed as a swollen circumvallete papillae. It hasn't changed sizes in over a year.

As far as the pain goes, it comes down the right side of my neck, to my shoulder, to my right arm and I feel as if it continues down into my right lower groin. This has been on going well over a year. I have been to the doctor multiple times and every time I go they say nothing is wrong. All my blood work is normal, Ct scan showed nothing abnormal and all throats examines were normal.

Where do I go from here? The constant pain is driving me crazy and I feel like every time I see an ENT, I'm not getting a quality exam. I know something is wrong. My swollen nodes aren't there just because.

Any insight will be appreciate.

This is a classic HA post. It could have been from this forum, but as you said found on a cancer forum. That being said, hypocondriacs do get sick too and of course they get real issues. But waht distinguishes that from other with real issues isthat hypocondriacs ALWAYS and automatically assumes the worst. They have something all right; but automatically assume the worst case scenario and overlook much more likely and much more common reasons for discomfort and pain. Gastritis and gastric issues are very common. But hypocondriacs suffering from such isssues will always assume it is because of pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer or aespaegoal(sic)cancer, always the worst case scenario. And then go to post it on cancer forum. While others patiently will await the lab result and the doctor and usually believe the doctor.

The OP obviouslty have something; and to me it sounds like a gastric issue. I have gastric issues myself BTW. For that the tests used for detecting pancreas issues is completely useless as it does not see the inner stomach. Endoscopy is required for such.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

You haven't got PC, but you could have some common stomach issue which is benign. A scan will put your fears to rest (maybe/hopefully).

To me it sounds as if he needs endoscopy.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

KOPSEY - All the very best to you today, I have my fingers SO SO firmly crossed that there is nothing untoward going on and you can put your mind to rest about this being the reason for your symptoms. Take care and do let us know.

__________________________________________________ ______________

OK can I be clear here - and maybe people are not understanding my meaning about this cancer site/HA site posting thing. I am not saying HA sufferers should go to those sites! Let me try and explain further -

Absolutely! I agree Terry, but sometimes I think the 'knowledge' here doesn't extend to people that also have physical tests they are waiting on, and genuine physical concerns. However, those people on the cancer site DO have knowledge of the medical conditions and that is why people post there, to glean that knowledge. Some people who post there shouldn't be, as it is their concern of the day, they will be weeded out as their pattern is observed - but some who are not diagnosed with anything do it because they have symptoms and are scared and don't quite fit on this forum, and don't quite fit on the illness forum. The door shouldn't be closed to those people, and this is what you have also commented on in your post above too.

Kopsey, to my mind (I've been following his story all the way through via various threads and on PM), is an unusual case. He has had some discrepancies comes back in bloods and has had a few symptoms that medics have observed quite clearly, and a dentist has observed! He has had confirmed that something exists, hence why his GP is taking the steps today. He has been back and forth trying to get to the bottom of what is going on - as he has HA as a background condition he fits here , BUT, I can see that partly he fits on the 'signs and symptoms' part of another illness forum at this point. He is an unusual case, but not alone as others come here at this kind of point in life.

I feel some members here are so used to saying 'anxiety, anxiety anxiety' that they have lost sight of the fact, and are blind to the fact that, some people are facing genuine health concerns, and MIGHT have some underlying condition. Just as doctors need to be aware that in people with anxiety they might also get ill, we should too, and remember that when reading peoples' individual cases.

I am referring in all of this essay :winks: to people who have genuine symptoms who also have anxiety about it. I think this is where the confusion about this issue is coming from in this discussion, FMP you are referring to people who just have HA, and have had it proved that it is just HA.

I want to quote you an example - There was a guy a few months ago, with background HA anxiety (though to be truthful I would have had anxiety if I were him as he had a few unusual diagnosed conditions), who thought he had pancreatic cancer. He wasn't just someone with HA, he had observable symptoms and was waiting on results. He was told he had cysts on the pancreas eventually. So, he had a medical reason for his pain and problems - but luckily not cancer. He felt there wasn't there right place to discuss his problems (we also talked via pm). He said that he didn't quite fit here as everyone was presuming everything was 'in his mind', but he also didn't quite fit on the cancer forum as was sensitive to the fact he had no diagnosis. He was thoughtful and respectful like Kopsey and I honestly, in my pm discussions with him felt concerned he was going to get a diagnosis of 'something' too. He did, but happily not cancer. I listed on this thread a general comment about how there wasn't a 'place' for people like this guy, and all the assorted others who are in the height of stressful states about real symptoms.

Individual cases need to be considered about why some people post here and on a cancer sites or other illness sites. Of course, as a HA sufferer crashing on in about 'illness of the day' is not appropriate. However, there are some who genuinely can't find the place where they 'fit' at this sort of time and we here to need to be mindful of that.

I see all your points here, but still, I agree with FMP. If you ask on the Q&A section on a cancer forum you would very often get confirmation bias which can be harmfull and lead the one posting questions on a mad goose chase for detecting something the docs had allready ruled out. Remember there are a lot of activism in the awareness groups, but it is well meant but I doont always agree with the way they blindly focus in that particular disease as it causes people to blindly focus on that instead of looking for the more likely reason. As an example: many who fears PC probably have a gastric issue, like gastritis or stomach ulcer. To detect that, all the testing used to see the pancreas is completely useless. An abdominal ultrasound does no see the inner stomach at all, for that one needs to take endoscopy. So they go and take maybe 3 CTs of the pancreas that sees nothing; of course as it is nothing wrong wioth the pancreas but fail to see what is inside the inner stomach.

WiseMonkey
09-05-18, 11:45
To me it sounds as if he needs endoscopy.[COLOR="blue"]

Yes this would be far more relevant.

Carys
09-05-18, 11:58
....but if you read his other threads.....

- petichae increasing considerably and noted by medics, sudden receeding gums noted by dentist, stool changes,tsh levels from bloods elevated and some lymph nodes noted by medics are increased in size. There is anxiety, of course, Kopsey would agree on that - and hopefully this will all be attributable to that and some minor underlying issue - but I can see why this is still a mystery to him and merits the checks the doctor is requesting. Some of the other listed symptoms, in his threads, of course could be the anxiety he is currently experiencing; taste loss, stomach issues and so on.

paranoid-viking
09-05-18, 12:21
....but if you read his other threads.....

- petichae increasing considerably and noted by medics, sudden receeding gums noted by dentist, stool changes,tsh levels from bloods elevated and some lymph nodes noted by medics are increased in size. There is anxiety, of course, Kopsey would agree on that - and hopefully this will all be attributable to that and some minor underlying issue - but I can see why this is still a mystery to him and merits the checks the doctor is requesting. Some of the other listed symptoms, in his threads, of course could be the anxiety he is currently experiencing; taste loss, stomach issues and so on.

But why the foocus on pancreatic cancer? Petichae has nothing to do wit the pancreas at all whatsoever so why that focus? Neither does lymph nodes.
Stool changes has many reasons, hundres if not thousands of reaons but he suggest a worst case scenario. None of this symptoms are typical of pancreatic cancer. Stools that ocurs due to something being related to pancreas are WHITE FLOATING STOOLS, and it does not comes and goes and turning into normal again.
And by focusing on this unlikely diease and nothing else it is a mad goose chase for the unlikely. I and no one here said it was nothing and that there is no health issue; but most hopefully agrees that focus on a very unlikely and very rare cancer type is not the way to go. Yes, he certainly has health anxiety. Buit as I said - having HA does not mean that you are perfectly fine and have no health issue.

Carys
09-05-18, 12:34
But why the foocus on pancreatic cancer?I can't answer that question ParanoidV, I have no idea why :D - and yes I agree its a very unlikely scenario. However, clearly he has been referred for some further testing so maybe the doctor knows what they are doing?

Yeah, FMP, we will agree to disagree.......everyone entitled to their own opinions and it is acceptance and tolerance of differing opinions that is important. So, I'm tolerating away here ;)

WiseMonkey
09-05-18, 22:15
I guess we may get an update at some stage, he would have had the scan by now.

Carys
09-05-18, 22:18
......often in the UK you have to wait for results....as they go back to your doctor. Its unusual for them to be looked at on the same day, unless its an emergency case. However, hoping everything is ok...and looking forward to that update too.

WiseMonkey
09-05-18, 22:42
......often in the UK you have to wait for results....as they go back to your doctor. Its unusual for them to be looked at on the same day, unless its an emergency case. However, hoping everything is ok...and looking forward to that update too.

Oh OK, I thought he was going privately, where they do inform you of the results after the tests are done.

Always good to hear about the OP's results when you've been following a thread :)

Lakme
10-05-18, 08:17

If your symptoms started a year ago and you're still alive, it's not pancreatic cancer. I had this fear a while back and it nearly destroyed me. I was so skinny from the anxiety, it was ridiculous. You literally have higher odds of being a super genius. I think it's somewhere between like, 100,000 and 1 in 1 million. You would literally have to be one in a million to get pancreatic cancer in your late 20's. I would suggest that you get a proper evaluation by a medical doctor in light of any digestive issues you may actually have, but the likelihood that it's pancreatic cancer at the age of just 28 is ridiculously small. You have a higher chance of being run over by a clown car.

Carys
10-05-18, 08:54
Yeah WiseM, he went on the NHS - His rather wonderful sounding doctor pushed for a next day CT scan,

Carys
11-05-18, 10:46
Hey Kopsey, how ya doing ? Any news ?

Kopesy
14-05-18, 15:13
Hello everyone

After spending a horrible day at the hospital, my ct results came back clear of anything regarding my digestive track. So that's good news. And yes, now I'm annoyed at myself for getting the scan and having even more radiation, but it's done now.

They did however, find that I have mild tree-in-bud within my lower left lung. I'm to go to my GP and to contact the Urgent Respiratory clinic for further evaluation.

The consultant/surgeon took 2hrs longer to see me about my results (3hr+) so waiting there made me extremely nervous. He'd asked a more senior surgeon/doctor to look at the results, because due to my lifestyle he had no idea as to the possible cause. It kind of puts my mind at rest a little bit more about the ct scan due to this. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

My lymph nodes along my groin have gotten a little bigger, as well as other one forming on the left side, so 4 in total now. I've been getting dull aches around those areas, not sure if it's related. The surgeon made note of it and has told me to inform my GP and to keep an eye on them.

I've since asked for anti-depressants to see if that'll help me. I'm currently talking 50mg of Zoloft. They say it can take 2-4weeks to have any effect, so I guess I'll have to wait and see..

They've booked me in for a camera to my stomach to see what's causing the upset

Carys
14-05-18, 17:35
Okkkkayyyyy, so a mixed bag there really......nothing majorly sinister in the pancreatic cancer department.....but an unexplained lung change that could point to something like an infection or any number of things actually. So, one issue closed and another (understandably) opened - the lungs and lymph node changes.
I get the sense though that they really are taking seriously now the symptoms you are presenting, which is good news.

NOoowwwww Kopsey, you stay off doing researching online, you will see a specialist and they will know what they are looking for in terms of symptoms and signs. You will come up with the very worst scenario, and you know you will, just as you have before.

pulisa
14-05-18, 18:11
CT and MRI scans can throw up all sorts of findings that you don't expect. They are called "incidentalomas". You basically get more than you bargain for.
I think the anti depressants are a good move, Kopesy. Stay off Dr Google and trust your doctors. Keep your mind free from the what ifs and concentrate on what is actually happening to you and what your doctors-not the internet-tell you.
I hope you get some peace from all this very soon. Hang on and keep as calm as you can. Take things slowly and steadily and you will claw your way out of this.

whoisthis
11-10-23, 12:11
I know you mean well (i am refering to a posting by someone who says..that in PC..your stolls are always and continous pale and floating and not come and go..).. but this is not true. Only in later stages when it is already too late. Thats the problem with these sites. People mean well but have no medical background to back their claims up. even doctors would not tell you this, cause it can present in so many ways. You never really know.