PDA

View Full Version : Worried about CBT

phil06
07-05-18, 22:38
I have booked some private CBT however I worry if it will help.

I’ve spoken to a few over the years when I was 16 I got good CBT for anxiey in the nhs. Sadly I wasn’t able to get anymore in adulthood.

So my experience of private I tried a free service last year chatted about my thoughts they only listened and said little back.

I tried a private counseller and yes again she let me speak said anxiety was common gave me a few sheets to help me deal with it and said I wouldn’t benefit much from her help as she was expensive and told me try a free service. A few years earlier I tried someone who dealt in affirmations of life which kind of freaked me out and increased my fate and supersiton anxiety.

I had a breakdown too and required the mental health team to visit my house again I questioned life why did they come why did this guy come today and another day after. I had a pyciatrist one day then a nurse then a psychologist who said I was strong and said I would one day want answers to my questions and people who study psychology are obessed with life and meanings so that sort of freaked me.. for anybody who spent time in hospital due to anxiety or depression how common is it for these people who come out?

Also when I was in hospital I dropped about two stone due to hospital food I spent a week there and family quoted saying “he won’t get back” at the time I was ill and I thought I died and I wasn’t allowed back to life so every time
I hear beeps I freak out thing I’m on a hospital bed and my life was a dream. But yes the quote he won’t get back do they mean I would spend my life on hospital like people who don’t get out? Did they mean I would die? It makes me question solipsism more. When I was in hospital I became religious as thought I spoke to god but I realised the bipolar makes you think silly stuff. The doctors line at first said “acute stress reaction” then they decided it was bipolar why the misdiagnosis? Why did my work have to know my condition?

So yes that’s my experience of talking to people many on here said it’s best to seek CBT. At the time the doctors banned from going private as they said I wasn’t ready. A few months later they said it was ok so like I say I tried a few..but my fear is they can mess with your mind and actually make your anxiety worse and try and explain there view on life for example affirmations? What’s everybody thoughts on my experience?

Also I read avicii questioned his life and the outcome wasn’t good. Is this to make me appreciate life or is it an illusion? or do you think it’s a case of why we need to seek help for anxiety and we are all intact real? Also this flat earth thing is round the round at the moment too?

phil06
07-05-18, 22:46
No offence, but I don't think CBT helps much. Like, maybe it can help if you have a strong will. Otherwise, it's not likely gonna alter one's perception.

I have terrible anxiety. Some people assume CBT helps with anxiety. Again, some things are trial and error.

I mostly booked it for my ocd however I’m not sure it helps with my other worries.

I know I can try a session see how I go basically I’m not really able to chat to my family about these thoughts i have they told me when I was ill appetriate my life and I have a good life I also wonder why they said that? Why was some of my family supportive and some of them not?

Also when I was in hospital smart phones were banned

MyNameIsTerry
08-05-18, 02:00
If you are going private you are not restricted to the type of therapy as we are under the NHS. And CBT comes in various guises as it has developed over the years hence some therapists use different forms of it e.g. ACT.

So, you may be able to access other forms of therapy that are better suited to your needs, based on the therapists recommendations, or a combined strategy.

CBT just has the most evidence over time. It's the standard because of clinical evidence but there are other therapies that also have clinical evidence too. And CBT may get a bet rap in the UK because we use a stripped down form in IAPT that may not be that much CBT in the first place (I learned most of my CBT after leaving IAPT therapy) because they have time constraints due to too much demand. A private therapist may not have the same demands on their time.

phil06
08-05-18, 09:14
If you are going private you are not restricted to the type of therapy as we are under the NHS. And CBT comes in various guises as it has developed over the years hence some therapists use different forms of it e.g. ACT.

So, you may be able to access other forms of therapy that are better suited to your needs, based on the therapists recommendations, or a combined strategy.

CBT just has the most evidence over time. It's the standard because of clinical evidence but there are other therapies that also have clinical evidence too. And CBT may get a bet rap in the UK because we use a stripped down form in IAPT that may not be that much CBT in the first place (I learned most of my CBT after leaving IAPT therapy) because they have time constraints due to too much demand. A private therapist may not have the same demands on their time.

Yes when I was in hospital and came out one woman came to my house and I got a bad feeling or vibe off her so she couldn’t come in. I never got why the hospital sent different people. They blamed someone being on holiday. That breakdown left so many unanswered questions about life.

But yes the CBT should be fine I want to chat to her about ocd. I’m
Not sure I want to go detail about the breakdown and meaning of life? I mean who can answer these do I need a psychogist or would this not help?

Like I say I would love more answers about treatment in hospital and why I was misganoised and lost two stone and they never seemed to care I worried I would die due to the breakdown. They did regular blood tests and weight checks but I would have thought if I was ill they would have moved me to another department. Maybe I wasn’t at that stage.

I think hearing other people’s experiences may help with my questions. I want to know was I meant to have this breakdown or was it self inflicted by the stress I put myself under? :huh:

phil06
08-05-18, 20:36
Nobody else any thoughts?

Had plenty here insist I need more CBT so is this the best way to help my thoughts?

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-18, 03:12
Only the NHS can answer about the hospital treatment and what occurred.

The meaning of life is one no human being in history has been able to answer so applying an All-or-nothing thinking approach won't work with it as there will always be shades of grey and doubts no matter what. We all think about this stuff from time to time but if it's bothering you and affecting your mental health then it makes sense to ask for advice about it. It's just that the advice might be more about what you feel is missing or finding something you are comfortable with as there are no answers to this one.

Whether CBT is the best treatment, I couldn't say, but it has the potential to help and is suited to OCD treatment. They can help you to work on your contamination & perfectionism issues as well as help you to eliminate your compulsions.

I tend to look at it as any help is better than nothing. That's easier when it's free though. But even if you don't get as far as you would like it doesn't mean you can't take what you've learnt and keep working on yourself. I did that as I gained ground with my anxiety more after the CBT ended and found myself wanting to work on things I couldn't get past when in therapy.