PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Support Worker

Bigboyuk
09-05-18, 12:23
Hi Iam now back to square one re my decluttering of my house had support from Staffs Rethink for 3 weeks my support worker was ill (nothing I could do about that) and then for 2 weeks I actually forgot the time they were calling I have now be taken of the list for help they know I struggle with very poor short term memory loss Yes I know they are charity but feel they should have stuck by me:huh: So Iam now in the same dark place and will probably die in my cluttered house I have had enough now folks, this is no way to treat some one who is vunerable and lonely. Sorry for the rant folks ATB

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Bump!

Carnation
09-05-18, 13:26
Hi BB, sorry to hear that. :hugs:
It's like a giveth and taketh away situation.
Please don't take it personally, this is happening across the board. I know it must feel like another knock down, but to be honest with you, I have had more support and advice on this forum, than from the the so called bodies of help in the outside world.
BB, you have many friends on here and I am sure they will be there for you. x
P. S. My O/H suffers with short term memory loss, so I know what that is like. :hugs:

Bigboyuk
09-05-18, 16:54
Hi BB, sorry to hear that. :hugs:
It's like a giveth and taketh away situation.
Please don't take it personally, this is happening across the board. I know it must feel like another knock down, but to be honest with you, I have had more support and advice on this forum, than from the the so called bodies of help in the outside world.
BB, you have many friends on here and I am sure they will be there for you. x
P. S. My O/H suffers with short term memory loss, so I know what that is like. :hugs: Hi Carnation it's hard not to take it personally. The last meeting is Friday to close it all down they just rung me to make the appointment much earlier in the morning they often kept changing the times so that also didn't help. Yes I know that Carnation and thank you but now I have no one around to help me de clutter I am really stuck now :hugs: ATB

Carnation
09-05-18, 18:21
BB, you can discuss this at your last meet and express how important it is to you. You don't know yet, but they may have other suggestions for you.
I know you will think not and feel low about the situation, but it does not mean it has to be them that help you and if they don't help you, stuff them and find someone else.
All these outfits are short term and time scaled, which I despise with a vengeance, because it mucks people up and they have to start from scratch again, but it doesn't mean that your progress has to come to an end, you just have to find a different way. :hugs:

Carys
09-05-18, 18:49
Yeah......there is a woman I support now....who before I started working with her had had 6 weeks with the red cross and 6 weeks with the local health authority. Its really difficult to plan anything without consistency. I agree with Carnation, at the last meeting you need to express how you feel and ask if they can't support you, if they can suggest someone else ? Can you ask them also, to give a clear answer about why you have been taken off the list? Maybe they think you didn't want them to continue, maybe they think you are capable alone without their intervention and assistance? It just would be nice to know wouldn't it.

Bigboyuk
09-05-18, 19:10
Yeah......there is a woman I support now....who before I started working with her had had 6 weeks with the red cross and 6 weeks with the local health authority. Its really difficult to plan anything without consistency. I agree with Carnation, at the last meeting you need to express how you feel and ask if they can't support you, if they can suggest someone else ? Can you ask them also, to give a clear answer about why you have been taken off the list? Maybe they think you didn't want them to continue, maybe they think you are capable alone without their intervention and assistance? It just would be nice to know wouldn't it. I will and have spoke on the phone with them they say it's 1. Because I have had a couple of relapses in the work we have done, and 2. Because I completely forgot 2 appointments well one was because I was meeting some one and did call my support worker, the second time was because I couldn't remember the next appointment, plus they haven't consistently give me the same day/time each week. And no there is nothing else like that service around where I live. I feel that there's no way back and I will never get my house decluttered thanks for your reply Carys :) ATB

Carys
09-05-18, 20:06
Oh dear.....what about if you beg and promise not to be a naughty boy again ? :winks: You could say that you accept the reasons they've given and would like the opportunity for another try, as are committed to their invaluable assistance ? Worth a try ?

Bigboyuk
09-05-18, 20:55
Oh dear.....what about if you beg and promise not to be a naughty boy again ? :winks: You could say that you accept the reasons they've given and would like the opportunity for another try, as are committed to their invaluable assistance ? Worth a try ? I could but their manager has to prove the service they are providing is worth the money they get from the government/councils I will ask though thank you:) ATB

Carnation
09-05-18, 21:17
See what they say first and then you will have more of an idea of where you stand BB. I think it's the initial disappointment that's got to you, but you may end up with something better. :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
10-05-18, 02:08
Dave, I would suggest waiting on this because it feels raw right now. It's another rejection. Things often seem clearer once we get through that initial reaction.

To be fair, you have missed two appointments with them. The NHS boot us off therapy services for that as they take it we are not committed to therapy and they have so many people screaming out for help in the queue that they can't handle. Missed appointments have probably been such an issue over the years that these services have had to take a harder approach. Remember, those appointments could have been used for others.

That's just trying to see it from the other side. You may not like it but there are plenty of people who can't get therapy who would say otherwise. It's the same with missed doctors & hospital appointments.

You say they knew about your short term memory issues but did they offer to make any allowances for this? They don't have too but I'm wondering if there was anything offered, even just advice to you, to help manage the appointments better? If they didn't honour something, you have a potential argument against them. If they didn't offer anything, perhaps you can try to appeal to them keeping you going with these appointments if you offer something to them i.e. a process that prevents any future missed appointments. Perhaps they would be happy it satisfies your commitment to them?

As far as times goes. Nothing is fixed. They are busy, things move around. We have to accept that.

The issue of not being committed to the therapy itself is something I tend to have an issue with. That's an easy copout used by some therapists and I suspect it helps them ditch clients. But these disorders are long term work and very hard to sort out so. Treatment resistance is common place, they should be expecting this as part of the job. You may have something to argue here. And to be honest, you've had very few appointments so were they expected earth shattering changes? That's ludicrous if so.

They are a charity but you may find they are being funded by the NHS to provide these services and have NHS referrals coming their way all the time. That makes them more a service than a charity and their rules might be aligned closely with the NHS over services they provide so each service all over the country is doing something similar.

Bigboyuk
11-05-18, 14:14
I did try and my case is now closed I can ask to go back but have to prove to the charity that it is going to work this next time. I feel very vunreable right now and lost inside. ATB

Carys
11-05-18, 16:10
I can ask to go back but have to prove to the charity that it is going to work this next time.

.....well that sounds like there is a way back then doesn't it?

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-18, 18:00
What do you have to prove? Eliminating missed appointments is one you can but relapses are hard to predict...and if therapists stopped working with us for such reasons they would probably have no clients!

Bigboyuk
11-05-18, 19:58
What do you have to prove? Eliminating missed appointments is one you can but relapses are hard to predict...and if therapists stopped working with us for such reasons they would probably have no clients! Exactly Terry also had relapses of keeping areas clean what we had cleaned before very sadden by this thx ATB

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

.....well that sounds like there is a way back then doesn't it? Well yes but not guaranteed I hope so and will have to work harder:yesyes: Thx Carys :)

Carys
11-05-18, 20:15
Seems a bit harsh to expect no 'relapses'...I mean...you obviously have a hoarding issue and to expect to just clear things up and no relapse is somewhat simplistic.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-18, 01:50
But what are they asking for assurances on? The missed appointments I can understand, and you can plan something for these, but struggling with therapy is just the norm. It's like they expect a smooth recovery with no errors which never happens. You could even argue the goals aren't smart enough and need adjustment which they should be spotting themselves.

Carys
12-05-18, 08:59
This is just a charity providing a helping hand really isn't it - are they trained in any sort of therapy? I don't think, from what I hear, as if they really understand it. Basically, they came and helped tiday some rooms and those rooms got untidy again, and that means they wasted their time (from THEIR perspective?!)

Carnation
12-05-18, 10:35
It sounds to me like they want clients that are an easy ride, so to speak.
What Buster needs is someone ongoing. IM0 , it is better to have someone once a month over an unopened end, than a block of 6 weeks.
A kind and caring neighbour may be more successful at this. I was asked by a neighbour once to do this and as I am a bit of a Sheldon, I actually enjoyed it.
My partner is also a hoarder and keeps buying from charity shops and together we try to keep things organised.
He has 200 ties and he doesn't even wear a tie! :wacko:
I realise it is a comfort thing for him.
BB, do you chat to your neighbours at all?
I don't know too much about your personal life, so forgive me if I suggest things that you can not physically do, just trying to help. :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-18, 14:30
This is just a charity providing a helping hand really isn't it - are they trained in any sort of therapy? I don't think, from what I hear, as if they really understand it. Basically, they came and helped tiday some rooms and those rooms got untidy again, and that means they wasted their time (from THEIR perspective?!)

Charities provide IAPT services hence are expected to adhere to NHS NHS TRAINING guidelines. Rethink are are a network of smaller charities just like Mind.

My GP referral went to IAPT and the provider was Healthy Minds, one of the Rethink network, who received NHS funding to provide therapy services.

The question might be what the support worker role is? My guess would be someone like a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner who are the ones we get the less intensive therapy of under IAPT. But I'm just guessing. The charity website may explain more but I would be surprised if they aren't trained to some standard given they likely have to for IAPT grants for the other services.

Elen
12-05-18, 14:46
I too have been discharged from therapy under dubious circumstances. Twice due to appointment letters not getting to me (they had the wrong address) and once due to me cancelling, it appears the message didn't get through. NHS is very unforgiving of missed appointments across all of its services which I can totally understand.

Perhaps get back in touch emphasising how committed you are to succeed. The downside of this is that you will have to keep proving your commitment, there again that might be the motivation that you need.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-18, 14:53
I too have been discharged from therapy under dubious circumstances. Twice due to appointment letters not getting to me (they had the wrong address) and once due to me cancelling, it appears the message didn't get through. NHS is very unforgiving of missed appointments across all of its services which I can totally understand.

Perhaps get back in touch emphasising how committed you are to succeed. The downside of this is that you will have to keep proving your commitment, there again that might be the motivation that you need.

They should be understanding of letters, Elen. No proof of receipt = no proof it was ever sent. Stalemate.

I can understand them being strict due to those who have missed appointments but it seems that some get overzealous to tick some boxes without thinking of the patient on the end of it. The last thing we need is a sanctions style environment.

Bigboyuk
12-05-18, 14:59
Everyone who has posted has been so kind. I no longer hoard which is great, but I still have mountains of stuff to sort through while it may sound daft just want some one to go through stuff with me help me organise things and throw stuff out. Carnation's question no I don't talk to my neighbours about my personal life but do other wise speak to them. Terry, Yes I do have a big white board just need a pen for it so I can write things down. It's the other thing like when a room is tidy they 'expect' it to remain tidy for normal people that is not a problem, but when you get the support worker saying going back on meds as I think it will help I don't think it's up to them to offer that to me I know if I want to go on meds I have to speak to my dr. and then to say (already said it previously) Oh how clean is your loo why cant you keep the rest of the house clean/tidy that was a bad comment from them IMHO and they shouldn't have said that and oh we have seen a lot worse houses that doesn't inspire or help me in the least so again they didn't think that through before speaking. Thx again everyone:hugs:ATB

Carys
12-05-18, 15:40
Charities provide IAPT services hence are expected to adhere to NHS NHS TRAINING guidelines.

Well, didn't know that, fair enough.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-18, 17:52
Well, didn't know that, fair enough.

Neither did I, I always assumed it was all NHS like if us in physical therapy. It was my therapist that told me.