PDA

View Full Version : Survived my first OB-GYN visit in eight years!

artist12
11-05-18, 20:23
Whew. Just got home from my appointment. I have always been especially fearful of female issues with my HA and have been putting this off for 8 years. I'll be 29 this month. Knew I couldn't run from it forever and have been having some lower right/hip pain that I have been worrying about.

I thought I was going to throw up in the waiting room, I was so panicked.

Luckily my doctor was awesome and I explained my HA and she made extra effort to make me laugh and feel comfortable. So relieved.

Now to wait out the pap results...can't breathe easy just yet. I'll also be getting an ultrasound in about a month to check on the pelvic pain but the doctor didn't seem convinced it was related to female issues from what I described...more of a "to be on the safe side" kind of thing.

I need a drink, and I don't even drink!

WiseMonkey
11-05-18, 21:23
Eight years is cutting it fine!! Going every 3 years (as recommended) would be more sensible and you'd have far less to worry about as a result.

artist12
11-05-18, 23:44
Going every 3 years (as recommended) would be more sensible and you'd have far less to worry about as a result.

Yes, I do know this.

But that's the whole animal of health anxiety, doing things that are not sensible because you let anxiety and coping mechanisms (avoidance) take over, sometimes for years.

I'm just happy with myself for actively working on this issue and taking a big step which I have been avoiding. And that my doctor did not scold or judge me for not going in so long.

Librella
12-05-18, 00:41
Good job! This is also a fear of mine so I know how difficult it is. I hope the ultrasound goes ok. Your doctor is awesome for not scolding you too.