PDA

View Full Version : Mole suddenly red and swollen. Photo

Limeslime
25-03-18, 11:58
In the past few months I have became terrified of my moles (melanoma fear) and have scratched off a few...using anything from my fingernail to nail clippers. Instant regret afterwards, but I’m still finding myself doing it!
Anyway, two months ago I used nail clippers to remove a mole from the back of my knee. The wound got infected and I got some topical antibiotic cream from the GP. Now the mole has regrown in a very flat, brown odd shape.
The gp told me he wasn’t worried but would refer me to the melanoma clinic to put my mind at rest. I was seen in the melanoma clinic three days later (the wait felt like three weeks! And I was so frightened I thought I would vomit) but the dermatologist couldn’t really give me much reassurance as the skin around the mole was too inflamed. So they took some photos and I have to go back in four weeks. She said it is probably a traumatised mole, but I cannot help thinking that it must be more than that or she’d have discharged me!
I honestly don’t know how I can live with this fear for four weeks when every day feels like a month! The fear is overwhelming and I cannot focus on anything else!
Has anyone else had a mole which has regrown in an odd shape?

utrocket09
25-03-18, 12:32
Most moles if you pick at them enough won't grow back into their original shape

Limeslime
25-03-18, 12:41
Thank you for your reply.

This particular mole has grown back in the shape of an outline of a dog! Very sharp edges and no pigment in the centre. It is 4mm x 4mm. I know they can grow back different but I thought they generally stayed circular?

Limeslime
25-03-18, 14:05
I had two moles removed at the GP practice two weeks ago for “cosmetic reasons”. (Really it was to relieve my HA regarding them even though I was constantly told they’re benign)
Do GP practices routinely sends them for pathology? I’m worried because I have had some missed calls recently from an unknown number and I’m worried it might be related to the moles I had excised?! The GP didn’t mention whether they go for biopsy or not, but typical of HA I absolutely cannot shake the thought!

unsure_about_this
25-03-18, 14:31
I think all lumps/moles etc are sent off to be biopsy.

Limeslime
25-03-18, 14:36
Ah yikes!

unsure_about_this
25-03-18, 15:09
Ah yikes!

Not because yours is/could be cancerous, as your gp told yours are benign, just to cover their back.

I have NF and one of my lumps were being sent off just like my mums nf lumps and all were benign, mine and my mums were removed in the hospital theatre, we were told ours were fine when the people removing them, but just to cover their backs sent them off to be tested

Limeslime
25-03-18, 15:32
So would the GP ring me to give me the results either way, or would I only hear from them if it were bad news?

Limeslime
26-03-18, 13:20
I have severe mole anxiety...the the point that I pick them off with nail clippers if they are affecting my anxiety. It’s so bad �� I have one that grew back in an irregular shape and I have to return to the melanoma clinic in four weeks to have it checked out. (I don’t know why they told me to come back in four weeks, I’m so confused)The wait is agonising. Does anyone know a way to get this over with quicker? How much does it cost to go private and where do I start? (UK)

Happy35
26-03-18, 18:18
Hi, I had a mole I was worried about, the 4 weeks is to see if there has been any changes.

If they were concerned they would have done a biopsy or even removed it when you were there.

Mine hadnt changed in the time, I was told to keep an eye on it for changes as you should for all moles but that there was no concerns about it.

Limeslime
26-03-18, 18:43
Thank you so much for replying!
The derm was to vague at my appointment, she was just like “yeah I think it’s probably ok. Put some cream on it for the inflammation and I’ll look at it clinically in four weeks”. They took photos too. I’m such a wreck about it because I really hoped she’d tell me it looked fine and to stop being silly and send me on my way. And when she didn’t I got so convinced that something must be wrong ������
I don’t think my HA could cope if she decides to biopsy it at the next appointment. I really just need this to be over ������

Elen
26-03-18, 18:56
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Limeslime
28-03-18, 16:14
Two weeks to go til I go back to the melanoma clinic. I’ve reached the half way mark! Dunno how I can keep going another fortnight though, every day feels like a month 😢😢😢😢😢

Limeslime
08-04-18, 16:34
4 days to go til melanoma clinic! Anyone got any advice to keep me calm?

Limeslime
12-04-18, 17:34
Update...just in case anyone ever comes across this thread and is in a similar position. I went to the melanoma clinic today after four VERY long weeks. A consultant seen me and was able to compare my mole to the medical photographs that were taken of it a month ago. He says he has no concerns and discharged me with advice to come back if it changes in the future. I should be glad, it’s the news I wanted, but my HA is causing me to doubt his opinion. I also know I’ll obsess over this weirdly shaped mole in the future, but for now, I guess it’s good news! I just have to try to let myself believe it now!

Limeslime
17-04-18, 16:38
So last week I got given the all-clear from a dermatologist regarding a mole that I was worried about. (To cut a long story very short, I scratched off a suspicious looking mole back in January and it regrew in a very irregular shape) I was referred to the melanoma clinic where I was given two appointments, four weeks apart. and from simply looking at it with a dermatoscope and comparing it to medical photos taken of the mole four weeks earlier, the derm was able to tell me that he wasn’t concerned and sent me on my way.
At first I was euphoric about the news. But now I’m obsessed with the fact that he didn’t see the mole BEFORE it was scratched off, and therefore how can he tell me it’s fine?! I don’t really think I gave him a description of how it looked prior either. I don’t know what to do. I’m obsessing over this and completely falling apart. I’m tempted to see my GP and beg for a biopsy but I don’t think they can do them at my practice. I feel completely helpless and lost. Please can any body offer any advice?

To clarify. The original mole was a raised mole, fleshy in colour. Totally normal looking apart from a round, flat, tan brown spot on it which almost looked like another mole in itself! This spot took up about a third of the raised mole. When I scratched at it, the raised mole fell apart but the dark spot was a lot tougher to get rid of! I hope the dark spot might have been an ingrown hair under the mole (is this even possible?) but I might be clutching at straws with that theory ��
And the mole that grew in its place is simply flat, brown and irregularly shaped amongst scar tissue.

I also have a maternal aunt who has melanoma. I’m worried this increases my risk too

Limeslime
20-04-18, 21:20
I hate, hate, hate HA! This morning I discovered something reassuring to put my mind at rest over my current cancer fear. I felt on top of the world, like all the dark times were behind me. I could actually be alone with my thoughts for the first time in months without having a meltdown!
Fast forward to tonight, and I’ve found something new (or rather revisiting something old) to worry about.
I hate this. I just wanna be normal and feel like I have a future again ����☺️

Limeslime
20-04-18, 21:29
...cos I did two months ago. I thought it might have been a biggish blackhead, so I squeezed, prodded and picked at it til it no longer existed. I now have a scar on my thigh from it, but I cannot deal with the panic of the possibility that I might have picked off a black mole.
Has anyone done a similar, silly thing? And how did you deal with it afterwards?

WiseMonkey
20-04-18, 23:49
Sometimes you can get those warty raised type of moles which increase with age. My dermatologist freezes them and they drop off sometime after. One didn't completely come off so I picked it off near my shoulder. Now it's just left some dead skin which will probably slough off.

I don't think you can pick of a true mole as it would be too painful and would bleed and return exactly as it was.

Limeslime
21-04-18, 07:49
Thanks for replying wisemonkey! Unfortunately this wasn’t warty though. It was flat to the skin (or only ever so slightly raised) and very dark brown/black and very smooth and round. It’s just the colour that worries me! Other than that it would’ve looked perfect for a little mole

nomorepanic
21-04-18, 23:36
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Limeslime
22-04-18, 10:30
Thanks admin, but this was a separate story to my other thread

Carys
22-04-18, 11:17
Yes, I did, when I was 7 years old. Didn't know what a mole was then, or problems with them, or cancer...and seeing as this was 42 years ago I guess there was no issue. As a child I just saw a 'thing' on my leg and kept scratching away till it was gone.

Limeslime
22-04-18, 13:10
Yes, I did, when I was 7 years old. Didn't know what a mole was then, or problems with them, or cancer...and seeing as this was 42 years ago I guess there was no issue. As a child I just saw a 'thing' on my leg and kept scratching away till it was gone.

I’m not worried about picking a mole....it’s more the fact that it was black! I’m scared incase I picked off a melanoma! And I’m not sure what to do about it! I’ve seen two GPS about it who just said “I’m sure it’ll be fine”. Of course, anyone with HA knows that isn’t good enough! I feel like I need it biopsied or I will never be able to relax! But they won’t do it for me ��

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 13:40
Thanks admin, but this was a separate story to my other thread

But it's the same fear. All your threads are about the same subject. You have a pattern of engaging in behaviors that feed an irrational fear of melanoma.

Positive thoughts

Limeslime
22-04-18, 13:56
But it's the same fear. All your threads are about the same subject. You have a pattern of engaging in behaviors that feed an irrational fear of melanoma.

Positive thoughts

What you say is true. But it was a behaviour that spiralled months ago and now I’m left fearing the consequences. I no longer do this. I just need to figure out how to cope with the aftermath. But thank you for the positive thoughts

Meriland30
23-04-18, 06:44
I learned...ALOT about melanoma through my cancer scare adventures, including helpful information my doctor passed onto me. Firstly, Melanoma rarely is ever round...or even oval. It is usually a splotchy shape and has blurry edges. Black is a typical mole color, as is pink, and brown. What is not normal are moles that are multi colored, with bluish iridescent colors typically. Melanoma is usually larger than a pencil eraser and just expands from there. If you have seen two doctors who both said it was fine, then i can assure you it is fine. What i just said above is exactly what they were looking for. Your mole does not fit into that criteria. Just a word of advise, do not pick off the mole. I did that and it came back within a week just like it was...which is normal.

Elen
23-04-18, 08:09
Hi

Elen

Limeslime
27-04-18, 14:13
Does anyone in the UK know how/where to get a skin biopsy done if the NHS have refused to do it. I picked off a new, very dark mole three months ago, and even though nothing has grown back, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to relax or deal with my health anxiety til I can close a door on this! I don’t have much disposable income but I’m hoping there is a way to get this biopsied? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

Bigboyuk
27-04-18, 15:52
Why have the NHS refused to do a biopsy? Is it possible that they know it's not cancerous so therefore no doubt is in their mind? To me it's clear and simple this is classic HA rearing it's ugly head time to get this treated :) ATB

Limeslime
27-04-18, 16:28
Hi big boy. Thanks for replying. My GP said he cannot go back in time and tell me that what was there before was benign or not, all he can do is go by how the area looks now. And it appears to be healing well and no sign of re-pigmentation therefore he doesn’t feel it necessary to do a biopsy at the minute. But that isn’t reassuring enough for me and my HA to deal with! I need to 100% know for sure!

Bigboyuk
27-04-18, 16:39
Hi big boy. Thanks for replying. My GP said he cannot go back in time and tell me that what was there before was benign or not, all he can do is go by how the area looks now. And it appears to be healing well and no sign of re-pigmentation therefore he doesn’t feel it necessary to do a biopsy at the minute. But that isn’t reassuring enough for me and my HA to deal with! I need to 100% know for sure!Np Limeslime :) Would you believe the results if the dr did a biopsy?? I would say no you wouldn't because of the nature of HA isn't it time to tackle your HA which is the real cause of your problems? And if you did believe your dr another HA problem will take it's place, so the cycle would start again. Hope you get the help you need to recover:hugs: ATB

Carys
27-04-18, 17:04
....but as your doctor said.....the mole is gone, you removed it/picked it off. So, you can't do a biopsy of a mole that isn't there?! If the skin shows no sign of anything untoward, (no repigmentation) then what are they biopsying?

Limeslime
27-04-18, 17:16
....but as your doctor said.....the mole is gone, you removed it/picked it off. So, you can't do a biopsy of a mole that isn't there?! If the skin shows no sign of anything untoward, (no repigmentation) then what are they biopsying?

Because if it was a melanoma (which is my worry) the malignant cells would still be under the scar, even though the mole on the surface of the skin has gone, so that is what they’d biopsy.

Carys
27-04-18, 17:41
So, you think it was malignant - yet picked it off ? OR are you now worrying with your HA thinking that it 'could' have been malignant and you picked it off?

Limeslime
27-04-18, 17:49
So, you think it was malignant - yet picked it off ? OR are you now worrying with your HA thinking that it 'could' have been malignant and you picked it off?

That’s a good question. I guess I picked it off cos I thought it might be a blackhead. And once I realised it wasn’t,I just couldn’t stop! Now, looking back, a mole that resembled a large blackhead probably should have been looked at by a professional!
So yeah, I guess it’s the uncertainty and the possibility that it might have been malignant!

nomorepanic
27-04-18, 22:12
Don't waste your money - seriously.

Pay and get the HA treated instead.

Carys
29-04-18, 13:09
If it was like a blackhead, and therefore small and dark and flat....and you've told your doctor....and they aren't concerned...then neither should you be. When I was a child (6 or 7), I removed one by scratching it off. I didn't know even about moles in those days, or what they were and I thought it was something stuck in me. Of course I didn't know about danger of moles either - it bled like mad and you know what over 40 years later, I'm here and fine.

Limeslime
30-04-18, 14:57
It’s so exhausting feeling frightened every single day. I had been feeling a bit better and a bit more in control recently, but these past two days I feel like I’m back to square one! I’ve been on sertraline 50mg since January. But three days ago I started a course of antibiotics (flucloxicillan) I cannot help but wonder if they have reduced the effectiveness of my sertraline because I feel so panicy and illogical about my symptoms again!
I’m panicking over an 8 week old mole excision scar which has two tiny, faint brown lines in it-melanoma!
I’m panicking over an underarm hair follicle infection (the reason for my antibiotics) and scareing myself that the lumps surrounding the infection are signs of cancer.
I’ve been worrying over a tiny scar that has caused an indent/puckering effect to the side of my breast, and that this could be a breast cancer symptom.
I feel like I’ve taken a huge leap backwards in my HA! I haven’t eaten all day because of the panic. I just don’t understand why I have triggered over such things, and even though I know they’re nothing, my body/brain won’t listen and I’m full of fear and dread!
Is this normal of HA behaviour? I’m still quite a newbie to this. Or could it be the antibiotics affecting my anxiety meds?
Sorry for the rant, I just feel like I needed somewhere to write this down.

NervUs
30-04-18, 16:29
In my experience, unfortunately, HA relapses happen! I did great for about 2 years, then it came roaring back. I was in deep for about a year, and I am starting to get better and in control of my thought process-- although the universe does not make it easy for me. In the year's time (started off with a legit cancer scare), I have had a few really trying issues, "real" issues, as well as more than a few imagined ones.

IDK how antibiotics might affect anxiety meds.

You are ahead of the game in realizing what's going on. Do you have any strategies for talking yourself down from fears? I am at the point again of being able to shrug and say, if it's bad, it's bad and not reacting to my brain's desire for panic. For me, that is the sign that my mental state is on the good side, lol. The key to controlling HA is figuring out what works for you to refuse to indulge in fear. I think it's different for everyone. BUt, I don't see evidence that reassurance or being told you're crazy or irrational is ra strategy that works. Personally, I think it comes from accepting that there is risk and really being able to live with that.

Limeslime
30-04-18, 19:23
Such wise words. Thank you so much! I hope one day I can develop coping strategies but for now I just look for distractions. They work in the short term! I think having young children makes it very hard to develop an “if it’s bad, it’s bad” attitude because I just wanna fight it at the earliest possible stage so I rush to the GP! I hope I won’t always feel like this :doh:

NervUs
30-04-18, 19:43
I have young kids, too. I TOTALLY get the extreme pressure to be here and well. BUT, at the same time, HA has made me NOT HERE AND WELL, too. So, I have learn to set limits on doctors visits, and I also set limits on googling (my kryptonite), and I try to put time limits on how much time I am allowed to spend worrying about something (b/c I do still "want* to worry, ifwwim).

Also, this might be triggery....but....the mother of my son's good friend just died (about 6 months ago) and I was able to see, life goes on. The kids are functioning, as is her husband. And, that is the way it would be for any of our kids.

So, I don't know. It *feels* legitimate you explain HA in terms of love for our kids. But, I realized that was becoming a crutch for me to NOT get better. THe best way to show love for my kids is to be present (when I'm at my worst, I'm not able) AND to role model them a healthy mom who is full of life. I wouldn't say I'm full of life exactly- I'm a boring middle aged person, but I still have dreams and I do what I can to take them come true. I think it's better for my kids to see that than to see a mom too afraid of dying to live. So, I try to accept that there are no guarantees and avoid the what ifs in favor of the right now...So cliched, lol, but true!

EmmerLooeez
03-05-18, 22:43
Lime,

The biopsy won't reassure you. Read your other post, you get reassurance from others and you still doubt it. This is your anxiety.

The biopsy may reassure you for a while, but I think you'll still doubt it. This is an obvious fear of yours and I promise you reassurance like this is not the way to go. You will need more and more reassurance and your brain will think of more ways that you the reassurance is flawed.

Please treat your anxiety. X

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-18, 01:57
I really don't think you would have surgically extracted something cancerous therefore the GP would be able to see something that didn't look right.

My dad had a form of skin cancer. He has picked it off & off for ages until my mum nagged him into seeing his GP. It was a sore and it never healed each time.

Limeslime
05-05-18, 18:41
I’m so sorry...this is mole related again. I know it’s all I post about!
But my HA is at such a stage now that I cannot tell what is urgent and what isn’t...cos to me, everything is!
So I need help deciding whether or not this requires a GP visit or not.
I scratched off a raised mole in January. It grow back in a flat but very large and irregular shape. It basically ticked all the ABCD’s. I had it monitored at the melanoma clinic over four weeks, and because it hadn’t changed, I was discharged. This was three weeks ago.
But yesterday I checked it and noticed some new, darker marks in it. The mole is brown. And it now has two dark brown marks in it. Other than that it doesn’t appear to have changed in size or shape (at least not noticeably)
What would you do? Should it be checked? I noticed a hair growing through the centre of it...I’m pretty sure that’s a reassuring sign. But it’s the only reassurance I have! This mole terrifies me but I’m so embarrassed about how often I’ve been to the GP in recent months!

Fishmanpa
05-05-18, 21:02
For what it's worth, I wouldn't, but I know this won't stop your worry :weep:

Positive Thoughts

z_seroz
06-05-18, 00:29
What looks abnormal to you might be perfectly normal. Can you upload a picture of it?

Fishmanpa
06-05-18, 00:41
What looks abnormal to you might be perfectly normal. Can you upload a picture of it?

Please no photos :lac:... we're not medically qualified. Besides, I've not seen one photo that looked anything but a normal mole anyway.

Positive thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
06-05-18, 00:56
Please no photos :lac:... we're not medically qualified. Besides, I've not seen one photo that looked anything but a normal mole anyway.

Positive thoughts

Ha! This made me chuckle. Do you remember the dinosaur in my eye picture? Looking back I can't believe how anxious I was over that. Makes you truly realise what anxiety can do to you if you let it.

Limeslime
06-05-18, 10:01
I would post a picture, more because it’s interesting than for medical advice. But I cannot figure out how! It looks like the silhouette of a dog on a leash! It’s bizzare!

Carys
06-05-18, 10:22
I am now seriously wanting to see the 'dinosaur in my eye' picture !!

Limeslime
06-05-18, 12:40
I am now seriously wanting to see the 'dinosaur in my eye' picture !!

Me too!!

Emc
06-05-18, 15:18
I think if there is a change it would be worth getting someone to look at it - otherwise you!’l never be able to settle yourself. Having said that i’m Sure it’s completely fine & you’re just overthinking this. The only thing is you have to be firm with yourself that if they sayit’s Find then you accept that it’s fine (believe me I know that is far easier said than done!)

Limeslime
06-05-18, 17:00
I think if there is a change it would be worth getting someone to look at it - otherwise you!’l never be able to settle yourself. Having said that i’m Sure it’s completely fine & you’re just overthinking this. The only thing is you have to be firm with yourself that if they sayit’s Find then you accept that it’s fine (believe me I know that is far easier said than done!)

Thanks! My mindset was that any change in a mole should be looked at, but because of my HA I didn’t know if this seemed severe enough of a change...especially given that it was only looked at three weeks ago by a consultant dermatologist! I suppose I should get it looked at, I just feel like a nuisance...again!

Elen
07-05-18, 11:51
Hi

Elen

Limeslime
07-05-18, 18:00
I had one removed by GP eight weeks ago. My local practice remove them if they catch on clothing or are causing problems. This is why mine was removed, not because it looked suspicious....though to me, it did! I just wondered if anyone knows if this would have been sent for biopsy as I’ve heard nothing from the practice. I’m hoping no news is good news, but I’m too afraid to ask them!

Elen
07-05-18, 18:03
Hi

Elen

Homer47
09-05-18, 14:09
Hi i had a mole removed didn’t feel a thing. Came back ok better to get removed because of the size of what mine was.

Limeslime
10-05-18, 12:39
Hi i had a mole removed didn’t feel a thing. Came back ok better to get removed because of the size of what mine was.

So your GP DID biopsy it? I’m scared to ring and ask them because if they tell me they just put it in the bin, I know it will make me freak out!!!

Limeslime
11-05-18, 16:05
Yey! I just had a letter from the GP saying it was completely benign!!! Phew! One less thing to worry about!!! :D

Limeslime
12-05-18, 08:57
I have major mole anxiety and I’m always panicking about my moles, but this time the change is undeniable! A mole just under my lip that has always been fleshy coloured and slightly raised has suddenly become more elevated and red! It looks like a full pimple that is ready to pop! I’m so worried about this! ReLly hoping there is an explanation other than the ‘c’ word for this sudden change! I cannot get an appointment to see GP for two weeks! :weep:
Top photo is how it usually looks. Bottom photo is now!
Anybody ever had anything similar looking?

Halle0587
13-05-18, 02:30
NervUs that broke my heart. That’s exactly how I feel. I hit a brick wall over the last month. One week after another it’s been something knew. I’m not living my life, I’m so fearful of the worst that it’s keeping me from enjoying it. It took me over four years to have a baby, he’s two now and I worry daily and make myself so incredibly sad thinking something will take me away from him. I see a counselor weekly and she knows my fears and knows I’m on here. I do really well for a few months and then something like a new mole sends me spiraling into thinking all of my symptoms are connected now and I’m advanced stage and not going to make it. HA started only after my son was born. It’s been brutal.

Limeslime
14-05-18, 07:55
Now today a scab came off it and it’s bleeding!!!!:unsure::weep:

Elen
14-05-18, 08:00
Hi

Elen

Limeslime
17-05-18, 12:07
It’s been five days now. The red mole hasn’t changed much. It has bled a lot but I think that’s due to me keep picking at the scab. Sometimes I think it’s becoming more of a pink and less of a red colour...I’m hoping that might mean it’s healing. But it still looks much bigger and more elevated than normal.
I’m proud that I’ve lasted five days without feeling too panicky nor rushing to the doctor. I’m trying to give it time to see if it heals incase it is just irritated or infected. But at the same time, I’m worried that my self defence against my health anxiety might mean that I’m ignoring something that might be potentially serious.
I really wish this hadn’t been merged into the end of a really long thread because no one is reading/responding. I’m just using this as an outlet to write my thoughts now

Bigboyuk
17-05-18, 12:12
Seriously no more picking at it will never heal at this rate No you aren't HA is like that trying to lure you in convincing you of the worst and no Googling either take care ATB

Limeslime
17-05-18, 12:31
Seriously no more picking at it will never heal at this rate No you aren't HA is like that trying to lure you in convincing you of the worst and no Googling either take care ATB

Thanks so much!

melie1818
17-05-18, 21:16
Huge hugs lovely, I've struggled with health anxiety for nearly 3 years which all started from having to have a mole removed which luckily ended up being benign but it triggered something that I just can't switch off. I can't tell you the amount of times I've gone cold with fear where a mole has scabbed over or a red spot has appeared over it but I've told myself to wait for 2 weeks to see if things get better before going to the doctor about anything. It's easier said than done I know but hopefully making small changes like this will help to beat the anxiety once and for all.

Pkstracy
18-05-18, 02:19
Stop picking it or one of these days you will end up with cancer or cellulitis, it is raised and red because you won't leave them alone.