PDA

View Full Version : How to escape hypochondria?

darkside4k
12-05-18, 21:18
I'm sure many of you have seen my threads in the past. I'm wearing myself out. Even just after my EGD, bleeding complications from that, CDiff infection and treatment, I've already started worrying about oral cancer (again) from another ulcer / sore thing I've developed in my mouth... on the other side this time.

I have to break this cycle. Please, anyone who has beat this ... what worked for you?

MarkTwain
12-05-18, 21:51
For me it just kind of went away on its own, I have no explanation why. Perhaps I just wore myself out in the end and I stopped caring or maybe I subconsciously developed more effective coping mechanisms. There's a whole thread of me basically going crazy with health anxiety if you look in my post history.

AMomentofClarity
12-05-18, 22:08
I'm sure many of you have seen my threads in the past. I'm wearing myself out. Even just after my EGD, bleeding complications from that, CDiff infection and treatment, I've already started worrying about oral cancer (again) from another ulcer / sore thing I've developed in my mouth... on the other side this time.

I have to break this cycle. Please, anyone who has beat this ... what worked for you?

You need to do something about it other than incessantly posting to an Internet forum full of strangers with no medical training. The most proven methodology is CBT+medication, but you have to be willing to put in the work. Only you hold the key.

Catherine S
12-05-18, 23:38
For me it was as you said, complete exhaustion. After so many years of hypochondria (and you gave it the name it should be given because the word 'anxiety' doesn't do it justice does it) I got to the point when I thought I couldn't worry any more about it all. My spirit was depleted, so I just thought to hell with it...it can do what it's going to do and if it kills me so be it because I was so tired of living with the fear.

From that point on my recovery began because id stopped fighting against it and started to accept the fear for what it was, and in doing that I'd let go and relaxed. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, hopefully in your case that's true and you continue to think more positively and rationally.

I think you've made that step. Good luck to you.
Cath ☺

NervUs
13-05-18, 00:02
I think a lot of it is accepting uncertainty and that, yeah, I might get an illness and I will deal with it then.

Then, a first step might be: in your moment of panic, DON'T seek reassurance, here or from people IRL or from a doctor. Just talk yourself through it, and see that you can rely on yourself. Talking about it with other people just strengthens that part of your brain lighting up when you talk about the disease fear.

Cold turkey off HA is not realistic. so,
Put a limit on how long you allow yourself to think about it each day. If you are going all day now, say I am going to give myself an hour-- and then plan something else for when that time is up and don't allow yourself to go back to it. Fake it til you make it if you need to. If you aren't fully present, that's ok. Keep trying until you can be fully present.

Be aware of what triggers you, or when you are slipping into a HA thought. Do what you can to disturb that thought, like have better things to think about to immediately replace the bad thought. These should be really engaging daydreams, like ruminate on an interesting book you, plan out your dream house, anything that works your brain and forces you to be creative.

You want to disturb your thoughts and deprive your brain of the fear that it actually craves. Giving in to the panic just strengthens the neural pathways, or that part of the brain where all this fear and anxiety resides. Not giving your brain what it wants will weaken the pathways and, eventually, you won't go there immediately anymore. BUt, it takes time. It takes work. There is no quick way out of this mess, especially when you are think in it.

Reassurance, googling, doctor hopping= strengthening it though.

br350
13-05-18, 00:41
Definitely mental exhaustion can precipitate a breakthrough and can help you get started with the right therapy.

I’ve reached a point where I realize that we simply cannot avoid uncertainty, and we can never be ‘sure’. To try endlessly to assure ourselves - whether of good health, or any number of other things - is a life NOT lived.

In my very long (30+) year journey with hypochondria, I’ve many times reached a point where I just gave in, as NerveUs and Catherine said. I just realize the toll it has taken in my life and I feel like if my time is up, then it is.

It certainly saddens and pains me to think that (and to accept it), but I’ve already been in SO much mental anguish, pain, and despair, it’s better to try to accept the uncertainty (and release the grip and hold we have on trying to control outcomes!) than constantly to fight it.

Get HELP. Go to CBT therapy. Do the work. There is NO quick fix or simple answer for hypochondria. But continually seeking reassurance will only keep you on an endless downward spiral. It’s hard work and it requires vigilance - behavioral therapy - but between that and medication, progress is always possible!

unsure_about_this
13-05-18, 17:03
6-7 years and still going strong with my health anxiety.

I am off to the gp again tomorrow with my symptoms (3 times this year so far) gp going to think I am right crank.

I worry about every symptom I get. I am getting worst with HA

tan235
14-05-18, 00:28
Darkside, I just posted something similar to this - you and I are not that dissimilar.
I have terrible anxiety and I, like you, jump from one thing to another, as soon as I'm over one thing, something else will happen, it's tiring, I'm always tired, so now because I"m tired I'm worried I have hidden cancer somewhere! WTF! It's crazy isn't it.
I have no answers - I'm 40 ... I've had this since I was 5.
I have an appointment with a psychiatrist next week - will start antidepressants.
I"m happy to chat if you ever need another crazy to talk too.

x

nomorepanic
14-05-18, 00:46
There are several sticky posts about this and how to overcome it and we have recommended online sites to help as well.

You have to take control and do the work to be honest.

It will be hard work but can be done but you have been given loads of advice and links to stuff to help

tan235
14-05-18, 01:08
Thanks Nomorepanic, - Unsureaboutthis - you just posted that you've been to your DR 3 times already this year, I just checked my history .... 14 x I have been to the Dr this year....

Darkside what about you?
14 x guys - what the hell.

fidgetninja
11-06-18, 18:55
Medication and therapy. Anti-depressants have been a life saver from me. I started them before, then stopped because I didn't like how I felt the first few days. I gave them a second go because I'd reached absolute rock bottom. I was crying all the time, convinced I had every terrible thing wrong with me. I missed taking my child to a birthday party because I went to the emergency room for reassurance that I didn't have pancreatic cancer. It was a low, low point. I went to the emergency room twice more over then next ten days. My next visit was to the local clinic to ask for anti-depressants. You must, MUST take the first steps. Reach out for help. Real medical help. I have scheduled a psychologist appointment for early July as that's the soonest I could get in. I've been on anti-depressants for three weeks and they're already making a huge difference. And if you try one and it doesn't work? Go back and try another. Don't stop trying.

I am sympathetic - I have read some of your other posts and have felt the same terrifying, all-consuming fears, but you MUST, MUST, MUST put a plan into action.

Wishing you all the very best in getting the help you need for your HA.

Elen
18-06-18, 15:52
Dark have you had a look at any of the available worksheets?

Your current worries could be used to tackle some of the exercises.

Just because you suffer from hypochondria does not mean that you will never be ill. The difference is that hypochondriacs rush to the worst case scenario instead of looking at the most likely and benign reasons.

darkside4k
18-06-18, 22:00
No I haven't seen them.

It such a burden on my life. And, I full acknowledge that, yes, I will die. I may even die young. I may even die this year. Or this week of something not even health related. I need to get over this fear of death since that is really the root cause. Especially a fear of my children seeing me suffer and me in turn seeing them suffer over me suffering, etc.

nomorepanic
18-06-18, 22:03
Surely they are seeing you suffer now though - even though you are not ill and still alive?