PDA

View Full Version : Just when things couldn't get worse!😢

BikerMatt
13-05-18, 16:11
So i've not driven since July 27th 2017 because of my 24/7 dizziness and everything else i've got going on.

My car MOT was due in February so it's not been done. I couldn't tax it in March as you can't without an MOT, so it's catch 22. I renewed the insurance in March, but had to declare it on a SORN as you have no choice. When you SORN it has to be kept off road, this is where the problem laid, i don't have a driveway, so stupidly left it on the road and it got clamped this morning. I'm now going to have to pay to get it unclamped, find somewhere to leave it, pay a hefty fine to the DVLA and to be honest we're skint.

What really pi##es me off is i've had a vehicle on the road for 28 years, 2 vehicles for 22 years and always been insured, taxed and MOT'd. The form left on the car states that the DVLA could fine me 5× the annual road tax or £1000. Yes i've been silly but it's really a catch 22 situation. I'm sure these fines are for people who drive with no MOT or tax and there probably won't be any leeway for somebody in my situation. I live in a close so it's not even a through road or anything.

I will have to argue my case with the DVLA and whatever fine i get they'll have to take a £1 a week, i'm skint! I've sorted finding somewhere to leave it, so will have to phone up tomorrow and get it unclamped and pay the fine. The paperwork that was left on the car says if you don't phone within 24hrs they'll remove the car and guess what the place you phone is NOT open on Sunday and it was clamped at about 11am this morning.

It's my own stupid fault but not alot else i could do! It's all one great big pain in the arse!!

Buster70
13-05-18, 17:01
The main thing is they haven't taken it away if they do the charge for moving it and storage by the day so get the small fine paid and they will want the back tax , it doesn't matter where you live anymore it's all on computer so they just come round , it's always cheaper to just admit you are at fault and pay quick like I just have with the bus lane fine £30 instead of £60 .
I know it's a pain in the arse but put in perspective it's a small easily solved problem
:)

BikerMatt
13-05-18, 17:24
Cheers Buster, I've not got the paperwork to hand but it was £100 to get unclampled, £180 as some sort of redeemable fee and whatever the DVLA fine, which will hopefully only be back tax for March, April and May. Still seems harsh when people drive without tax, MOT and insurance won't get much more.

I'm a d$ck and should've got it sorted!

Buster70
13-05-18, 18:30
I've got 9" grinder that fits those clamps perfectly.
So here's a story ( I always have one ) way back before all this gubings I lived on a private road I had a car with no tax or mot I come out to take the car for the mot and it won't start, a neighbour pops out and says the cops came round looking at it and popped the bonnet and took the HT leads so it couldn't be driven , fumming I go to the cop station and ask why they've taken my leads ? So the cop says it's got no tax or mot and shouldn't be driven , I go what's the definition of a private road ? And he explains one not owned by the council and I say name one in this town so he named my road , I go that's were my car is now give me my f**king leads back , he refuses just to show his authority, so I say right while I'm here can I report a theft as well , he gets out the forms and says what's been stolen ( you know what's coming) a set of HT leads , I thought he was going to explode :D ,at this point his sergeant walks in and throws the HT leads at me now f**k off , Thank you I say :)
Suffice to say I didn't have anxiety back then , Two points to remember 1 don't forget your manners and 2 DON'T let the b'stards grind you down :D

BikerMatt
14-05-18, 03:00
I've got 9" grinder that fits those clamps perfectly.
So here's a story ( I always have one ) way back before all this gubings I lived on a private road I had a car with no tax or mot I come out to take the car for the mot and it won't start, a neighbour pops out and says the cops came round looking at it and popped the bonnet and took the HT leads so it couldn't be driven , fumming I go to the cop station and ask why they've taken my leads ? So the cop says it's got no tax or mot and shouldn't be driven , I go what's the definition of a private road ? And he explains one not owned by the council and I say name one in this town so he named my road , I go that's were my car is now give me my f**king leads back , he refuses just to show his authority, so I say right while I'm here can I report a theft as well , he gets out the forms and says what's been stolen ( you know what's coming) a set of HT leads , I thought he was going to explode :D ,at this point his sergeant walks in and throws the HT leads at me now f**k off , Thank you I say :)
Suffice to say I didn't have anxiety back then , Two points to remember 1 don't forget your manners and 2 DON'T let the b'stards grind you down :D

Lol! Love the story Buster:ohmy:

Can i borrow the grinder? Oh no hang on, i can't come and get it my car has a clamp on it:doh::D

pulisa
14-05-18, 08:16
I'm sorry, Matt. Last thing you need. I don't think there's any way you can avoid paying the unclamping fee but maybe they will be lenient on any other fees due to your ongoing health issues? Maybe a few hospital letters would help? It's worth a try?

BikerMatt
14-05-18, 19:42
I'm sorry, Matt. Last thing you need. I don't think there's any way you can avoid paying the unclamping fee but maybe they will be lenient on any other fees due to your ongoing health issues? Maybe a few hospital letters would help? It's worth a try?

Hi Pulisa, It my own stupid fault but it just seems when your down on your luck it's one thing after another. So if you pay within 24hrs, which i did it was £100 after 24hrs it it would be £200 plus they could remove the car and incure removal and storage fees. I had to buy a new battery as it was dead and wouldn't take a charge which was £80. I also had to pay £160 that you get back if you get an MOT and tax within 14 days. I tried to argue that one as i've now moved it of the road and don't really wan't to MOT and tax it as i don't wan't to drive, but still had to pay it.

So, so far it's cost £340. I will have to wait for what the DVLA will fine me, this is when i will go into the medical stuff and hope they just backdate March and April as that's only the two months i didn't pay whilst it sat idle on the road.

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-18, 03:09
Matt, sorry to here this mate.

I'm on my way around with my truck, lets sort 'em out!

http://www.off-road.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cop-car-.jpg

:yesyes:

Bigboyuk
17-05-18, 11:18
Hi Matt really sorry you have to this to contend with on top of your health worries. Reckon some letters from the hospital/dr's could help so worth a go. I would appeal though you have been though a lot recently. I do hope this is a temp thing and you would start driving again when you have sorted your health issues out Good luck Matt. ATB

BikerMatt
17-05-18, 20:24
Matt, sorry to here this mate.

I'm on my way around with my truck, lets sort 'em out!

http://www.off-road.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/cop-car-.jpg

Like it:yesyes:

It wasn't the rozzers though, it was some sort of private firm who must be contracted to the DVLA and drive around with ANPR's. A bit unlucky as i live in a Close, still i suspect they check on people who have SORNed their vehicle.:doh:

MyNameIsTerry
18-05-18, 02:25
My mistake, Matt. I have a bait car for the private clampers. She always seems to sort them out, I call her Christine... :winks:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GentleFrenchAxolotl-size_restricted.gif