PDA

View Full Version : Xanax daily? Don’t want to be addicted

MommaTom4
13-05-18, 17:07
I have tried SSRIs and they just don’t do enough fornthe anxiety. Not really even take the edge off. My dr said I can take .25 Xanax once a day and it won’t makenme addicted. But to be honest, I’m afraid to trust him and then find out I can’t cope without the meds.

I need something for the severe anxiety, but it’s daily for weeks at a time, so I can’t just take it “as needed” because it feels like it’s ALWAYS needed.

Zoe01708
13-05-18, 20:57
Don't know about xanax, I guess it's the same as diazepam! Maybe you need an antidepressant instead and see a psychiatrist instead of a general doctor.

Wish you luck and I hope you get better soon.

Benjammin69
14-05-18, 04:55
Your dr is probably thinking because the Xanax dosage is so small (0.25mg) that you won’t have bad withdrawals so in theory it’s safe to be on for a longer duration BUT you will get tolerance and that won’t work then you start escalating dosages also Xanax had a very short half life so 0.25mg daily will only work for 4-6 hours so you then need more. It is not an ideal long term solution - if you are looking for medication route you need to look at another anti anxiety drug and use the Xanax sparingly to help any break through anxiety.

Phill2
14-05-18, 06:55
Just my experience but I found Xanax worked great BUT only for a short time (hours) then it dumped me hard leaving me wanting more so I stopped taking them

NervousKel
22-05-18, 21:57
If you do decide to use them, I'd use them very sparingly: like only 2-3 times a week when it's really, really bad.

How many SSRIs have you tried, and for how long? It's really such a trial and error to find one that works for each person, and unfortunately you don't know until you've been on them for a good 6-8 weeks if it will work for you.

Ethansmom
01-06-18, 19:45
I'm having the same issue. All of the SSRI's i've tried make me worse. My current one trintellix is awful so far. I take Klonopin daily, which helps but doesn't always put a dent in extreme anxiety. For that i take xanax. I'm thinking about reducing my trintellix.