PDA

View Full Version : health anxiaty is driving me mad

syl
21-07-07, 08:13
well as heading say I have suffered with health anxiaty for a few years .
for the past month i have had sinus that was cleared up with antibiotics but left me with phlegm, a cough and slightly breatless was put back on inhalers which i should have been using anyhow for copd and breathing is a little better unless i get anxious didnt know that effected breathing. not felt like eating much dont know wiether that is down to worrying over breathing problems.
dont normally bother getting wieghed but thought i would yesterday only to find i have lost over half a stone in wieght now of course my old fear has come back bad what if i have lung cancer that makes you lose wieght
does help that i have gone back smoking tried to stop but failed and that just makes me worry over cancer even more but now the wieght loss really has got me worried

manmoor
22-07-07, 12:32
My Syl :hugs: I think the only reason you got weighed yesterday hun was to prove to yourself that if you had lost weight that would be another symptom am I right?. We are our own worst enemies and torment ourselves every waking minute when we diagnose a cancer we get to know what symptoms are attached to them and then off we go telling ourselves we have them I've done that sooooo many times. What I want you to do instead is to say to yourself ok I've lost a bit of weight but what other reason could there be i.e. not eating, worrying myself sick etc. I remember once when my health anxiety was really bad I got a shoe box and wrote down all my thoughts, symptoms and what cancer I had at the time and put the lid back on the box and put it in my wardrobe and told myself it stayed there thoughts symptoms and all. I was in and out of that wardrobe constantly for a few days but everytime I replaced the lid on that box after having a read I knew I was the one who was making myself ill nobody else but me and I knew it had to stop so as days went on I went to the wardrobe less and some days I was able to not go near the box at all and boy was I proud of myself on those days. You go to Blackpool Syl and have a fab time as you deserve it hun and I need to know all about it before I go. Make sure and text me before during and after lol. xxxxx:hugs:

darkangel
22-07-07, 16:06
HI Syl

Like you I have suffered with Health Anxiety for over 10 years. Worried, analysed, panicked, googled and spent my life thinking the worse any time any niggle or pain comes along.

How I deal with it now - tell myself that no matter what I will cope. Don't anaylse or talk it over. Accept and acknowledge that you will be strong enough to deal with it. Im awaiting tests for a couple of different health issues - Ive acknowledged that there may be something wrong, but I know that additional worry will only make matters worse. In order to be strong to cope with the outcome, I need to be relaxed and calm and in a positive frame of mind.

I hope this has helped hunni

Luv Darkangel :flowers:

miff
23-07-07, 05:52
i have the same mental war going on with my breathing too syl and a while back i lost quite a few kilos and i knew i was eatin little,it didnt take long for the weight to drop off and i thought i had cancer, then i kept weighing meself allatime which made it worse.But slowly i got me weight back up by eatin right and i feel better.You'll get back your appetite Syl love.

have a big hug from miffy
:hugs:

Piglet
23-07-07, 11:19
Great replies there Syl - hope you feel better about things today. :hugs:

Love Piglet :flowers:

Lissy43
23-07-07, 12:32
I lose weight so easily, I get breathless when im anxious ( like now) and I lose weight just from worrying alone. Anxiety about my health stops me eating (I don't feel like lunch today for eg) and I will easily lose a lb today. I dropped half a stone in weight a few years ago because I was so anxious and hardly eating.

Take it easy, if concerned see your GP and be honest about how you feel.

spacebunnyx
23-07-07, 13:50
hey, I'm exactly the same about lung cancer/weight etc.:blush: i find exercise helps me.. its like - well i just ran X distance and i didn't collapse and still breathing fine so i must be ok! also it helps boost seratonin which can help lift you out of depression.

hope u feel better soon.

jess xxx