PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about my flight and vacation after panic disorder relapse

EmmaSwan
14-05-18, 16:10
Hi everyone! I hope you are well. I was just wondering if I could have some reassurance, or if anyone had some tips. Since my relapse in February, I have made huge strides against my panic disorder and anxiety. Last week I went five days with no symptoms or attacks, which was a huge accomplishment I was so proud of. Last night, I had a nocturnal panic attack that was very disorienting when I first woke, but overall I did recover from it faster than many of my previous attacks. I was frustrated I had one to begin with, but I still see that this is progress.

Tomorrow I am flying to visit my best friend, who lives in another state. This was never a concern and flying has never been an issue for me, but since my relapse I am now worried about the "what if" questions - what if I have a panic attack on the plane when I am away from home and safety, what if I pass out on the plane, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on flying since the resurgence of my panic disorder? It is one 2 hour flight with a 50 minute layover and then another hour, so it isn't terribly long. I am just really struggling with the "what ifs." Thank you so much!

defyinggravity65
14-05-18, 19:58
Hi,
I really understand your fears. I think it will be important to remember that the last time you had a panic attack, you were able to deal with it quickly and easily compared to previous attacks. When you are with your friend, try to focus on the moment and stay busy. I know that's easier said than done. On the plane, try distracting yourself as well. I find that if I wear a ponytail band around my wrist and snap myself with it occasionally, that little sting of pain is enough for me to snap out of my anxious thoughts. Also remember that there will probably be at least one other person on the plane as anxious as you, and that the flight will be over before you know it.

Hope this helps.

Julia