PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Urination

Paul84
15-05-18, 13:09
Hi all. I do have another thread about my approach to recovering from my HA obsession. That's all ongoing and I am confident I will work to improve things with regards to HA. It doesn't happen overnight, and I know that returning to the forum and starting new threads, isn't seen as a positive step. :unsure:

I'm not looking for medical advice obviously, but I'm looking for people's opinions and experiences with how Anxiety effects urination, or the urge to urinate? I come here instead of going to Dr Google (3 weeks away so far):yesyes:

I've been pretty tense for a few weeks now (HA, New Job, Engagement...), and whilst my previous main worry (TC) has now passed due to an examination, and the majority of the physical off-shoot symptoms have also faded; I now have a weird pressured feeling around my bladder/prostate area. I've been worrying about all of those times where I've held off going to the loo, and worrying that I've done permanent damage to my bladder.

I'm talking about those times where, I'm busy at work and working to a deadline or even when i'm stressing over my HA. Or even, when i'm on a night out and my mate has been 2-3 times before i've been once. Once i go, i don't stop.

I've been for a wee 4 times today so far (every 90 mins). It feels like I could go again just after, like the bladder doesn't completely empty.

A normal-thinking person would think it's a water infection, or muscle strain, or some other benign issue. My mind all of sudden is worrying about Bladder C, or Prostate C. I'm 33 so I appreciate that this sounds pretty dumb, I didn't even know where the prostate was located until today :doh:
2 weeks ago, this wasn't a concern for me - it never entered my mind. I didn't have these feelings then... so I'm 99% sure it's anxiety/sress related...

I did have a pretty bad muscle tension last week (hip flexors and legs) and tried several long hot baths to resolve the issue (4 last week). Ever since taking them, i've had this weird feeling. I have a follow up appt with my GP next week about my first Sertraline prescription, so I will speak to him about this.

I was just looking for other peoples experiences and maybe a dose of straight talk. If I'm being a total sucker to HA again then please do tell me, I can take it.

Fishmanpa
15-05-18, 13:13
It's explained in the SYMPTOMS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Kidneys_urgency_to_urinate_frequent_urina tion_sudden_urge_to_go_to_the_toilet) section.

Positive thoughts

Kark1970
15-05-18, 13:46
At 33 yrs old you would be very very unlikely to have Prostate Cancer. A simple blood test can determine this usually. Go and see your GP, it's probably a UTI. Either that or as Fishman linked above. I have always had an overactive bladder, and the more you focus on it the worst it becomes, it's a cruel cycle! Plus when out on a night drinking it's well know a lot of blokes need to go every twenty minutes due to the diuretic nature of alcohol.

Kark

Red12345
15-05-18, 13:52
I seem to suffer from severe HA too and over recent weeks when it has been at its worst I have been peeing every 30 mins - sometimes more. I had all the tests done and an ultrasound with nothing found.

My opinion is that it is anxiety driven if you go through phases of some bad days and some normal days although it never tended to correlate with the days I felt worse.

Paul84
15-05-18, 18:33
Thank you for your replies and for the link to the symptoms page.
I suppose I'm easily swayed by certain medical related stories. The PC awareness ones about going to the toilet more often etc... if it's anxiety related then yet again it's another example of the affect it has on the body.

I'm becoming a bit of cliché.

Pkstracy
15-05-18, 20:48
Diabetes, anxiety, too much water, all can make you pee a lot, if you are anxious yep you will go pee a ton, are you drinking a lot of water? Have you had a high salt meal followed by a lot of water, that can also make you pee a lot.

tan235
15-05-18, 21:02
I’m seeing a urologist today about this exact concern, ive has it three weeks! I feel a weird sensation in my bladder area like burning and an urgency that feels off, I go but I need to pee, it’s not a Uti. I finish and then feel like I have some left over so oemeither go again or wait till the weird pressure feeling is too much and go again!
It’s starting to get better but when it was at its worst I went around 12 x a day. I was checked for diabetes last year, Dr said you need a check every 5 years if you don’t have it. I didn’t. Got a uti test done and a culture - negative. I have ibs so that seems to encourage weird bladder issues and I’m always anxious. My H A is debilitating. Hope you find out what’s causing yours. Oh and yes before this started I had periods of holding on till I felt like I’d burst!!

* please excuse typos - one hand typing on iPhone :)

Paul84
15-05-18, 21:20
Thank you for your replies.

Thing is, these weird feelings in the bladder area and the slight discomfort were not here, this time last week.
I had 4 hot baths last week to alleviate muscle tension and ever since then, I've had these feelings.

I've been up for over 14 hours and have been for a wee, 7 times. Is this alot? I had the urge to go earlier and very little urine appeared.

I'm hoping this is just another charming anxiety related symptom or a mild UTI.

Also, I've been drinking alot less during the day since I started my new job two weeks ago.

Kark1970
16-05-18, 21:40
I think you'll find it's normal, but I'd reiterate to get it checked if you're worried. You'll also find that When you aren't focusing on it, even you're relaxed and otherwise occupied it goes away.

Kark