PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS REALLY HELPING ME (pleasse read)

mirry
21-07-07, 14:59
Hi everyone, I came across something that helps my panic attacks :) .

It was by accident because my son has lots of allergies and It got me thinking, he produces too much histamine (thats why he suffers)
and the doctor has given him ADRENALIN injections to counteract the effects of the histamine (a natural hormone ).

So there fore we know the body makes adrenalin to dampen down the histamine :yesyes: , Ive been taking it for 3 days and feel calmer, however
I then decided to read up ,all about histamines and adrenalin and accidentally came across this

http://www.thechurchesofgod.com/HOW%20TO%20STOP%20PANIC%20ATTACKS%20FOREVER.htm

And basically it is saying that my theory is correct :winks: .

SO THE ANSWER IS;

1) take regulary (strong) anti histamine .
2) Drink lots, all day long .
3) avoid salt, alcohol, caffiene and chocolate.
4) excersize.

bearcrazy
21-07-07, 17:56
hi, I'm glad this is helping you, but I would feel happier running this by a doctor first, i think self medication could be dangerous! :wacko:

nomorepanic
21-07-07, 18:48
Mirry

I agree completely about

2) Drink lots, all day long .
3) avoid salt, alcohol, caffiene and chocolate.
4) excersize.

Taking antihistamines I am not so sure about. If this was true then surely hayfever sufferers who take them most of the summer would be panic free? Me included I have to say.

If it works for you then stick at it but other people should consult doctor if on any other medication first.

stephcatlover
21-07-07, 22:36
Be careful with this one. Adrenaline can provoke anxiety and panic. It's used with very severe, life threatening allergic reaction and is prescription only for very good reason, as can be dangerous if not given withthe OK of a medic. Antihistamine is a different thing from adrenaline and can have a sedating effect which is probably why you feel calmer on it!

I really would discuss this with your doctor though -
look after yourself
stephcatlover

Quirky
21-07-07, 22:38
Hi Mirry,

I'm glad this is helping you but I have to say I totally agree with Nic.

Anti histamines should never be taken without consulting a doctor as they are not right for everyone and can interect with other medications and some can make people drowsy too aswell as give other side effects.

Like Nic I sometimes take them for hayfever and other allergies and they don't make my panic any better. I think some people feel better on them as some brands are slightly sedative and therefore people feel calmer that way.
It's also thought that blocking the effect of histamine in the brain can make people calmer so there may be some truth in this but I'd say only take with a doctors advice if it's for anxiety not allergies. Sorry, just my opinion.

Lisa x

mirry
22-07-07, 09:22
Im not saying take adrenalin steph, Ive got enough adrenalin and wouldnt fancy an injection of it, lol.
As for anti histamine, Its apparently its in some of the anti anxiety medication anyway, its harmless and available over the counter and certainly worth a go but try to find a non sedating antihistamine, my son has the highest IGE levels that the allergy clinic at southampton hospital has ever seen and he lives on strong anti histamines all year round, when I asked proffesor Warner is it harmfull to live on them he said they are totaly harmless.
But I think the main thing is drinking lots and lots of water, my husband is always drinking and peeing lol, and I notised I hardly drink or pee ,lol.

So I have been drinking 2 glasses of water before I leave the house, then trying to drink a glass every hour whilst out and I felt better in myself, Its early days but I will continue doing it and see if it helps.

got no panic
22-07-07, 13:55
Hi guys!

I wrote the article above and it was a doctor's wife who told me to take Benydryl for my panic attacks. She also had had them and the antihistamines really helped her. She is why I started taking them, and they are in most anti-anxiety meds anyway. But the thing that will stop a panic attack faster than anything is to drink a bottle of water straight down as soon as you feel it coming on. I had panic attacks for years. I don't have them anymore because I drink water all day long and I avoid salty foods. The Benydryl is not that important if you just drink a lot more. That alone will lower your histamine.

Lindalou64
22-07-07, 14:00
I Must Add Tho When I Take Benadryl Anything For Sinus Probs Makes My Heart Pound??? So Therefore I Always Stayed Away From Cold Medicines And Sinus..it Could Just Be Tho I Duuno...linda

mirry
22-07-07, 15:44
Hi Got no panic, I was shocked to find you on here after i read your article,
Its been 4 days now and it seems to be helping me :yesyes: .

Last night we went out for the evening and I always seem to panic in the car lately, so when we got picked up by friends I was really concerned, so I drunk 2 BIG glasses of water then got into the car and didnt panic all the way there ,or all evening , (it was my frinds 40th party) I carried on drinking all evening and danced alot and didnt panic . I dont know if it will cure my panics but its early days and it certainly has helped so far.

I remember one of the doctors telling me to drink plenty when i first got diagnosed with panic disorder, but i didnt know why? he didnt explain.
I used to take a bottle with me and sip the water and come home with my bottle 3/4 full. But I now know what they mean by DRINK , LOL.

Piglet
22-07-07, 17:07
Well I can't comment on the antihistamines as I don't think I've ever taken them but I will comment on the water.

During my very stressful time recently one thing I was doing all the time was drinking from my bottle of water - I tend to take a bottle of water with me when I go out the house even shopping with my youngest alot of the time anyway.

I have always thought it helped me most on a physcological level (sp) cos I am distracted by the action of drinking, so it changes my mindset and gives me something to do. It very interesting that you feel it also works on a physiological level too - I knew it was good to keep your fluid levels up cos it aids concentration anyway (they do in schools alot now too - having water freely available on the table at all times) but that it may help quell a panic attack on this basis is very interesting indeed.

I know it did help me on all the occassions I've been at the hospital - so thumbs up for more water on every front it seems!! :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

darkangel
22-07-07, 17:20
All I can add to this is, a number of years ago I was on a anti histamine tablet from the doctor for about 3 years called Citirizine which he prescribed to me for sinus problems and headaches! I noticed that it also helped reduce my anxiety.

However, when I moved house and went to a new GP he wasnt too happy that I was taking this constantly. Again it had became another crutch that I was using and I was scared to come off. But Ive been completely off for about 18 months and havent noticed any rise in anxiety. Headache and sinus problems also have vanished!

Water - I totally agree, drink loads, then loads more..................

I agree with lindalou on the cold & cough remedies , if you are on certain types of anti depressant then certain well known remedies should be avoided - always check with you chemist or doctor on this one.

Glad its helping you though Mirry, :yesyes: keep us posted

got no panic
22-07-07, 18:29
Mirry, I am so glad it is helping you! Water really is the "cure." Let us know how long you go without another panic attack. If you read the article you know how I discovered it.

Back when I had bad panic attacks I almost drank nothing. One night I jumped up out of sleep and started losing my breath and I ran to the kitchen and all I could think to do was drink a couple of glasses of water straight down and no joke, the panic attack was gone about 20 seconds after that. I felt completely normal...not even nervous! I said to myself...you went two days without drinking much water at all and this happened to you....and then 2 glasses of water stopped it??? I finally got it. I was Dehydrated. I looked online and noticed that hyperventilation can be a sign of dehydration. I really got it. I just had to start drinking more. My body was freaking out on my because it was desperate for water.

That's why eating foods high in sodium would always set one off too. But, now that I drink water all day, I can even eat the higher salt stuff without too much problem.

Everyone spread the word.... FREEDOM! (finally)

I don't even worry about it anymore. They just don't happen as long as I remember not to get dehydrated.

Bless you all---my love goes out to anyone who has suffered with this awful thing...

mirry
22-07-07, 19:50
Thats great, From what Ive read on dehydration it can also deplete you from pottasium (a natural mineral). Now I found this interesting cos many years ago I had a HUGE panic attack , my doctor sent me to hospital cos my stomach wasnt right. When i arrived at the hospital I started shaking panicking, then felt sick. They did my bloods and hooked me up on a drip :ohmy: , they said I needed pottasium and I didnt ask why , lol.

Whats scarey is ,i didnt feel dehydrated at all, Id been eating and drinking a bit :shrug: ???

What Ive been doing is following my hubbys example and drinking when he does, OMG HE DRINKS SO MUCH !
I used to always say to him , your drinking again and why do you keep needing the loo? when we were out.
I also used to joke saying "theres something wrong with you " but it seems theres something wrong with me , because I dont feel the need to drink, I tend to eat instead:blush: .

what worrys me is how will I remember to keep this up ?

mirry
22-07-07, 19:54
Dark angel , my son is on certirizine antihistamine , hes been on it 7 years now , proffesor warner told us its safe for him to take always.

darkangel
22-07-07, 23:31
Mirry that was what I was on.

I was told that Citerizine can be used for other things other than allergies. It was one of the list of tablets that I was taking to counteract side effects from other ones! My daughter was also being prescribed Neoclarityn (an antihistamine) for about 5 years - but when we moved to another GP he didnt think she needed it anymore - and she has been fine.

got no panic
23-07-07, 07:51
I read this about histamine and dehydration.

"Histamine is a drought managing neurotransmitter. When there is dehydration the body manufactures and releases histamine to regulate water intake and ration water throughout the body. Histamine release is a sign of dehydration in the body--it produces pain, asthma and allergies in a valiant effort at drought management. However instead of quenching that drought with water we give it antihistamines."

This would explain why most anti-panic meds are histamine blockers. It does help to block histamine. Low water, high salt lifestyle really raises the histamine.

mirry
23-07-07, 10:44
just found this interesting article , very interesting ......
http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=272449
It mentions putting sea salt in your water unfrefined , where can I buy this ?

I felt very anxious this morning and drunk 3 glasses of water and feel alot better, does seem like theres something in this ?

got no panic
23-07-07, 14:20
Mirry,
Water has never failed me yet. It even works for general anxiety. I have to say, that I really feel good now. I never worry that I will have a panic attack when I go out. I do carry Benedryl in my purse just in case though. Although I very very rarely have to use it.

Before I knew about drinking water, I used the Benedryl a lot more.

Can you get sea salt at your grocers? The only thing I will say is that too much salt can dehydrate you. Since you have just started this, I would for now, do a lower sodium thing for a little while to get things back under control.

You are doing fantastic! Wow.

mirry
23-07-07, 17:50
hubby took us to mcdonnalds today, and I thought "oh no I might panic"
So drank 2 big glasses of water, we ended up there and I was ok, but I still felt worried and then we went into Tescos and did a big shop and I actually did really well, it was so busy but I enjoyed it.

I really believe that the water helps, I dont know if it will take it all away ?
but it certainly takes the edge off.
Something else that occured to me, my panics have always been worse in the morning (when Im dehydrated over night).
Having panic attacks makes us sweat, then sweating makes us dehydrated....we should probally have more fluid than other people.

got no panic
23-07-07, 20:51
When I first started drinking water, I still worried that it might not work all the time, this was especially right after I had had years of panic attacks, I worried that they would come back---but they didn't.

And I eventually started feeling more and more confidence. Before this, I never knew when one was going to hit me but now I don't give it a thought. I go where I want, do what I want, I fly on airplanes etc... Before I couldn't even go on a walk without worrying that one would hit me. Now, no problem.

In time, after these things have been gone a while, you will finally let down your guard and things will be more relaxing. It makes my day that you have found control over this. Is anyone else trying the water cure?

got no panic
23-07-07, 21:19
Mirry,
Quick question? Do you have ridges in your fingernails? I'll tell you why I asked that question in a little bit.

mirry
23-07-07, 21:53
I do have slight ones on my thumbs and big toes ,lol.

What do they mean ?

nomorepanic
23-07-07, 23:26
I used to drink 2 litres a day cos I was dieting and it never helped. Maybe you have found something psychological that helps you in some way.

If it does then well done and stick at it!

got no panic
23-07-07, 23:53
Just curious about the ridges. I have them too. (Some say finger nail ridges and low iron are connected.) I was tested and I am low iron..... I have had pretty severe fatique and the iron is helping that. It's really not important Mirry. I just wondered if anyone else had ridges on their nails too.

Even if we drink a lot of water and we eat really high sodium, (unfortunately the American diet is reeealy high in sodium) we can still be dehydrated due to high salt foods, alcohol, chocolate, coffee etc..etc... Hey if water works, and it does for me, I'm happy! :)

Gotta get back to work guys. Thanks for letting me stop in. We are getting ready to leave on vacation, so it will be a while before I am back on the No More Panic site.

Good job you guys. This is a great site. I will recommend it. See ya.

Ellen70
24-07-07, 03:20
I have always been a very 'thirsty' person, I just always felt the need to drink lots of water and always have. Then I got panic and gad when I was a teenager and was put on anti depressants. The anti depressant caused the common side effect of dry mouth so I began drinking even more water. I estimate that I drink about 4 litres of water a day, more in hot weather. My panic attacks and general anxiety disorder have been relentless for the past 20 years. So I think this thing about drinking lots of water is like a lot of things, it works for some people but not for others. It certainly doesn't work for me :shrug:

I agree with Nic that it may be psychological in some people too.

But to those it does work for, you are lucky and well done for figuring out the connection.

Ellen

mirry
24-07-07, 09:26
so far its seems to have stopped my anxiety turning into a full blown panic attack, but I still am suffering high anxiety, I keep feeling like its going to happen but its not getting off the ground.
Doctors do reccomend drinking more when you have panic attacks , so there must be something in it, I believe it just takes the edge off them , Im not sure its a cure , Id need to give it alot more time to say that.
Ive notised when i drink plenty , my head dosent seem so foggy , its like I feel more awake. If it helps 10% then its got to be worth it.

Trev
24-07-07, 11:29
I agree that drinking plenty of water is a good thing.

To say that drinking water and staying hydrated will fend off panic attacks is a step too far in my opinion.

The biggest adrenaline producer for people suffering panic is negative thought patterns.

I think that what you have found is your "safe place". If you believe that drinking water will stop a panic then the chances are it will.........BECAUSE YOU HAVE RELAXED YOUR THOUGHTS TOWARDS IT.

Drinking the water would not re-hydrate you in a minute or less. It's your attitude that has changed. You think.............."I've drunk my water now, I will be ok".........and so you are.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that de-hydration is a contributing factor but there are many contributing factors, the biggest contributing factor is your thought process in my opinion.

De-hydration will give you symptoms that can then trigger negative thought patterns but does that mean de-hydration is the cause itself?

Cheers,
Trev :D

got no panic
18-08-07, 01:02
We are back from our trip. Water saves the day yet once again! We loaded onto a hot plane on our trip to Orlando, and some people were sitting in our seats, so we had to stand all cramped together in the aisle til they got it straightened out. It was getting really hot, and crowded. I'm claustrophobic anyway, and I started to feel panicky.

I couldn't have gotten off that plane if I tried, as everyone was loading in. I started to feel really trapped. Thankfully, I had bought some water (in the shops past security) and I pulled it out and drank it down. In a matter of seconds, I felt really calm and I handled everything really well past that point.

Give it a try....there is something to this. If you drink a lot of water, you are not off the hook because you may be eating foods high in sodium which negates it. Check the sodium levels of one piece of pizza...you'd be shocked. In some cases, people are eating 6 and 7 times the daily requirement for sodium. If you eat any junk food at all---you are getting a tremendous amount of salt.

Trust me, all this is not in my mind. I tried everything from prayre to Xanax and you name it...nothing helped. I already tried using good thoughts to stop panic attacks...it didn't work. But drinking water and eating low sodium foods does. It has never failed yet. Ever. So, I'm sticking with it. I truly wish everyone well and a life filled with peace.
Cindy

Trev
27-08-07, 10:13
Really glad you have found recovery and good luck going forward.

It's very good advice not to eat highly processed food as it does contain a large amount of salt (and sugar and usually quite a few other nasties such as hydrogenated fats etc). However, I still maintain that, while the advice to drink water is good, it would not stop a panic in a few seconds based on its hydrating properties alone. You have found your "comfort blanket" and you believe that it will work. So, guess what? It does work............because your belief it will causes a relaxation in your mind and thought direction.

Anyway, it works for you and that's the main thing.

Cheers, Trev :-)

mirry
27-08-07, 22:35
thanks cindy.

You know bread has sodium in it , seems theres no escaping it.

Dying_Swan
27-08-07, 23:16
Hey there.

An interesting thread. I used to carry water everywhere as I found it helped a bit when I felt panicky. I still do, but that's just me.

I must say I totally agree with Trev. Drinking water is great, but I think that it only makes you feel better because you think it will. It might be considered a 'safety behaviour' by those from a CBT perspective.

However, it certainly is important to keep yourself healthy, and one of the things you need to do is to drink lots. Mirry, if you're finding it helpful, then keep right on with it :)

Don't get too bogged down with the whole Sodium thing. Yes - it's best not to eat too much salt. But sodium (like potassium, as you said) is a vital mineral that your body needs in certain quantities. Moderation is always the key.

As for Antihistamines, I would be extremely cautious. I've taken them plenty of times for an allergy, but not convinced they would be good to use long term for something they are not licensed for. I think it really would be best to get medical advice before taking them to help with anxiety problems.

got no panic
09-09-07, 01:58
I saw this thing about histamine and panic attacks on Google, and thought I would post it. The connection between Histamine and Panic is interesting. (Especially since most panic meds are histamine blockers.)

A panic attack sufferer says she had high histamine.

...the biochemist nutritionist I saw, through his experience and a sophisticated blood test quickly discovered my problem. I had an unbelievably high histamine level, the fifth highest he had ever seen. He told me that high histamine was definitely the cause of my panic attacks, most probably the cause of my balance problem and Meniere's symptoms and even possibly the cause of my thinning hair line. He accurately described the symptoms I was having which are typical of a person with a high histamine level. They included: itchy skin, lots of nervous energy (vibrating my legs while sitting) followed by periods of tiredness or exhaustion, panic attacks, difficulty focusing and with memory. He was so accurate I couldn't believe it."

(MY NOTE: I have to say that I also have high histamine. I too have itchy skin, nervous energy...I vibrate my legs too while I sit at the computer, I have fatigue, difficulty focusing and memory problems just like this lady. Histamine causes running thoughts too. Makes it hard to sleep.

got no panic
09-09-07, 02:02
Obviously, you wouldn't take it if you were going to be driving, it will make you reaaaly sleepy, also, I would'nt take more than a couple at a time, just because I don't want to abuse medicine. But, they are one of the safest meds you can take. And being nice and sleepy and relaxed and having a panic attack are about as opposite as you can get. Obviously, the nice and sleepy and relaxed is better! IMHO

But, I understand ones hesitancy. Really, high histamine is really just a symptom. The real problem may be Lactic Acid. (Which raises histamine.) I was reading that lactic acid, a known panic attack starter, can come from many sources. It is produced from eating a high sugar diet. Also, common foods like chocolate and tomatoes, wheat and dairy raise histamine. A piece of pizza is a panic attack on wheels for me.

Also, one of the reasons that water helps is because it clears lactic acid from the system.These two things are connected.

Just look into it...I can't prove it. But, I think this is right.

mirry
25-09-07, 13:30
:weep: well after a few hellish weeks with my anxiety completly out of control , I found this method wasnt helping me as well as it should of.
I went to work today and I drank 2 glasses of water straight down as soon as I felt the panic kicking in, it helped somewhat BUT I really dont feel it completley stops it happening if its a severe panic attack.

So my conclusion is that , Water (lots of it) does help with anxiety ,it somehow cools me down and helps with sweating.
but it doesnt stop it my panic :shrug: everytime :weep: .

I think its important to keep hydrated at all times.

leafar
03-01-08, 02:25
Some say that it doesnt work much, others say that it works very well. I started drinking water (alongside a couple of beers) about 30mins ago and i feel pretty good, but i also feel slightly hyperactive and i feel like doing something but i dont know what. Its like a feeling of nervousness and excitement at the same time. (At the time of posting this i feel fine)

I think a good idea is to drink loads of water over the course of a few days, then give yourself little challenges and build up some positive mental associations. Also, dont eat too much food thats high in salt on days when you know you need to be in a situation where panic might occur, and replace those foods with fruit (high in water). I havent tried any of this yet but i think i will now. And ive just filled 2 x 2litre bottles of water to drink every day. I hope i stick to this. I think its more a case of generally being very well hydrated than relying only on a quick hit of water when you start to feel strange. Im going to turn into a fish and drink water until i dream about it.

And i dont buy the idea that it works only on a psychological level. Water is good for you, right? There must be a physical aspect to water as a remedy. Having said that, if anyone can assure me of this it would be good, and ironically i can use that knowledge to help me.

noonoo
21-05-08, 20:30
avoid salt, alcohol, caffiene and chocolate.
excersize

Those I definately do now. I avoid all of those every single day, I find they make me feel panicky.
And I go for a bike ride or walk at least twice a week now.

xxxx

Cathy V
21-05-08, 23:16
I know this is an old thread brought up to date by noonoo, but after reading it i just want to also add that ive felt for a long time that theres something in the anti-histamine theory. I do know that my ectopics are much worse from march till end of may, and again august til oct. I don't get really bad hayfever, but i do get it and these are the times in the year when the different pollens are at their worst. Ive been thinking that maybe the polen has made my sensitive heart play up more.

I also googled the effects of histamine in sensitive people (yeah i know but it was long before i found nmp!) and among the many symptoms listed was an irregular heartbeat.

I recently asked my doc if i could take anti-histamine ontop of the beta blocker i'm also on, and he said yes, providing i take the anti-histamine at night. This is because they can make you drowsy, and because i take the beta blocker mid-morning. So far ive been too mervous to take the anti-histamine as well as the beta blockers but I still think there maybe a connection between histamine and my ectopics. Even when i look back over the last few years i can see a pattern of when the ectopics are stronger.

Food for thought.
Cathy :)

karen34
07-06-08, 22:08
after reading a lot of you finding drinking water helping i have to say i believe it is just a safety behaviour as it is what helped me at the start (9yrs ago) and i would carry a bottle of water (500ml) in my bag however now i have developed a bit of a problem where taking 1 bottle is not enough, gradually i would take more and more and now sometimes as many as 5 or 6 out with me (3ltrs) in case i drink it all or the bottle bursts and now fear being without it...on average i drink 5ltrs of water a day.