PDA

View Full Version : Widows 10 Question

Bigboyuk
17-05-18, 16:00
Hi Folks this is quick question. When you close a tab down (on windows 8.1 it was easy to re open a closed tab) how do you reopen a closed tab on windows 10 cant see any icon to do this? TIA :)ATB

Noivous
17-05-18, 22:03
Hi BB - Not exactly sure if I understand your question but in Windows 10 the tabs are along the top of the page when you open a new window. I don't have trouble opening them or closing them. The thing I hate about Windows 10 are yhe automatic updates. And there isn't a darn thing you can do to stop em. All previous Windows would allow you to choose which updates you wanted to allow. I may have to actually give Apple a try.

Bigboyuk
18-05-18, 11:18
Hi BB - Not exactly sure if I understand your question but in Windows 10 the tabs are along the top of the page when you open a new window. I don't have trouble opening them or closing them. The thing I hate about Windows 10 are yhe automatic updates. And there isn't a darn thing you can do to stop em. All previous Windows would allow you to choose which updates you wanted to allow. I may have to actually give Apple a try. Hi Noivous I will re word it, when you close a tab on Windows 8.1 it's easy to reopen a closed tab, I cant find a option to re open a closed tab. don't like the layout of windows 10 preferred Windows 8.1 . I think you can turn off window 10 updates but not sure how, I did reply last night but it must not have got posted ATB

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 14:56
So any one know how to reopen a closed tab? It was so easy to do on Windows 8.1 the other thing that gets to me is any icons on the top row are quite faint (it's not a tv contrast problem) these icons etc should be Bolder much easier to see whats what ;) May end up giving Microsoft some feed back on this. any help would be appreciated thx ATB

Magic
20-05-18, 17:34
BB, Try control Panel,or Computer on start. don't know if that will help as I am still on windows 7

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 18:11
BB, Try control Panel,or Computer on start. don't know if that will help as I am still on windows 7 Hi Magic Don't think it will help there was options on windows 8.1 to reopen a closed tab when it's closed, so cant see any reason why this feature would be removed on Windows 10? Not keen on the Windows 10 lay out, could try and go back to WIndows 8.1 but guess I will get used to it. Thx ATB

Bigboyuk
23-05-18, 11:39
Any one please perhaps selecting certain keys like Ctrl etc will help? I also have a more complex question: On my new device it has a micro sd card slot but also have 2 normal size USB ports one is in use for the keyboard dongle, I have been given a camera which has some internal memory built in and it also has a USB port on the camera.So if I connect a USB lead to the camera and plug the other end in to the spare USB port on my pc will I be able to take pics off the internal memory of the camera on to my pc rather like you can with a inserted SD card that's connected to my pc that is probably the 'D' drive on my pc? TIA :) ATB

Bigboyuk
24-05-18, 09:40
Bump ATB

mike83
26-05-18, 00:08
Hi Folks this is quick question. When you close a tab down (on windows 8.1 it was easy to re open a closed tab) how do you reopen a closed tab on windows 10 cant see any icon to do this? TIA :)ATB

Right click on a tab and go to reopen closed tab? Or Ctrl+Shift+T

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

I also have a more complex question: On my new device it has a micro sd card slot but also have 2 normal size USB ports one is in use for the keyboard dongle, I have been given a camera which has some internal memory built in and it also has a USB port on the camera.So if I connect a USB lead to the camera and plug the other end in to the spare USB port on my pc will I be able to take pics off the internal memory of the camera on to my pc rather like you can with a inserted SD card that's connected to my pc that is probably the 'D' drive on my pc? TIA :) ATB

Yes it should make a new drive when it is connected to your PC. If there is a SD card in the camera too it should make another drive for that too.

nomorepanic
26-05-18, 00:10
I really wish your title wasn't Widows :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
26-05-18, 01:42
I really wish your title wasn't Widows :roflmao:

I think I might have rented that :noangel::roflmao:

Bigboyuk
26-05-18, 09:44
Right click on a tab and go to reopen closed tab? Or Ctrl+Shift+T

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Yes it should make a new drive when it is connected to your PC. If there is a SD card in the camera too it should make another drive for that too.Thx for answering both questions I understand the camera thing it would probably see it as a mass storage device (with out a Sd card in) and make a new section in my pc for a 3rd drive. Thx again :shades: ATB

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

I really wish your title wasn't Widows :roflmao: Oh heck I have only just spotted it ha ha :D What is a Widows 10 any way!!?:roflmao: ATB

Bigboyuk
27-05-18, 11:04
And still more problems I was going to turn off (shut down) the pc last night via the start screen power options. which this time round had 2 more on the drop down menu: 1. Restart Pc, 2. Update and restart Pc. 3. Shut down pc. 4. Update and shut down pc. so obviously there's a update from Microsoft. Anyway selected Option 2. And checked the power options again this morning and the 4 options are still there? So doesn't look like the update has happened (unless there is a second update?) How do I check Update history? TIA :) ATB

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-18, 13:17
Happens sometimes, mine has been saying that for about 4 days so either an update is failing or new ones are coming through daily.

You can get at the update history through the Settings menu. It's the cog wheel in that same menu you click on to get your shutdown (bottom left of screen). That opens up an icon menu but I can't remember which one it is right now (will check when back on the laptop tonight) and when you select the one that contains updates it will bring up a menu down the left hand side which will get you too it.

Bigboyuk
27-05-18, 19:16
Happens sometimes, mine has been saying that for about 4 days so either an update is failing or new ones are coming through daily.

You can get at the update history through the Settings menu. It's the cog wheel in that same menu you click on to get your shutdown (bottom left of screen). That opens up an icon menu but I can't remember which one it is right now (will check when back on the laptop tonight) and when you select the one that contains updates it will bring up a menu down the left hand side which will get you too it. Well had a look again at power options and there is just the normal 2 options so something has taken place after 2 forced restarts. But in the update history it's saying something different about 2 updates that require a restart. Ahh the joys of owning a pc :whistles:
ATB

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Last few days I have been losing the volume on the task bar and a red dot appears but even stranger Mircosoft Edge (browser) kept throwing a error message ( never seen this message before) saying this class not registered? Hence I couldn't use this browser Couldn't get it off screen so had to turn the mains off at the wall skt what on earth is going on? Since Microsoft downloaded a new display driver these new problems are happening. Really going off Microsoft support right now. Should I download some new drivers as a package? And just checked power options and it now back to 4?? I am stuck now ATB

Bigboyuk
28-05-18, 13:44
Also just now had a blue banner on screen saying Impending updates for your pc with new features and apps. Not Now/Ask me later/ set a time to suit me. this upgrade could take a little longer than usual. Should I trust this banner is from Microsoft and go ahead with it, and can any one confirm if they have seen this same banner and acted on it or dismissed it altogether? TIA :) ATB

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Any one? ATB

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-18, 15:34
I just get a small box appearing bottom right asking whether I want to do them now, snooze, set time.

It downloads updates automatically.

Does the shutdown also now give options for update & restart, update & shutdown? Mine does.

I think it sounds more like an ad banner on your Web page that will just take you to some competition type page.

Phuzella
28-05-18, 15:54
I just noticed the Widows :)

mike83
28-05-18, 18:04
Also just now had a blue banner on screen saying Impending updates for your pc with new features and apps. Not Now/Ask me later/ set a time to suit me. this upgrade could take a little longer than usual. Should I trust this banner is from Microsoft and go ahead with it, and can any one confirm if they have seen this same banner and acted on it or dismissed it altogether? TIA :) ATB

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Any one? ATB

Ah yes I have seen that blue banner before, it is microsoft. Its probably the April 2018 update (version 1803) which is a new build (all previous updates are incorporated into it)

It might look something like this : https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/lets-cross-this-off-your-list-windows-10.png

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

And still more problems I was going to turn off (shut down) the pc last night via the start screen power options. which this time round had 2 more on the drop down menu: 1. Restart Pc, 2. Update and restart Pc. 3. Shut down pc. 4. Update and shut down pc. so obviously there's a update from Microsoft. Anyway selected Option 2. And checked the power options again this morning and the 4 options are still there? So doesn't look like the update has happened (unless there is a second update?) How do I check Update history? TIA :) ATB

Press the cog (settings) above the power button on the "start" (Windows) button, click update and security, view update history. If you click on check for updates it should download and install any updates then give you an option to restart

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Last few days I have been losing the volume on the task bar and a red dot appears but even stranger Mircosoft Edge (browser) kept throwing a error message ( never seen this message before) saying this class not registered? Hence I couldn't use this browser Couldn't get it off screen so had to turn the mains off at the wall skt what on earth is going on? Since Microsoft downloaded a new display driver these new problems are happening. Really going off Microsoft support right now. Should I download some new drivers as a package? And just checked power options and it now back to 4?? I am stuck now ATB

Could try some things from here :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/class-not-registered-windows-10-edge/b4f5e1e6-94cf-4c4b-9146-2e0fe68cebd6

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Could always download chrome or firefox!

Bigboyuk
28-05-18, 19:31
I just get a small box appearing bottom right asking whether I want to do them now, snooze, set time.

It downloads updates automatically.

Does the shutdown also now give options for update & restart, update & shutdown? Mine does.

I think it sounds more like an ad banner on your Web page that will just take you to some competition type page. Hi Terry yes it does and has done for the last couple of updates and yes in the message centre as you rightly say it will say updates (when they are available) Thx Terry ATB

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Ah yes I have seen that blue banner before, it is microsoft. Its probably the April 2018 update (version 1803) which is a new build (all previous updates are incorporated into it)

It might look something like this : https://cdn.windowsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/lets-cross-this-off-your-list-windows-10.png

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Press the cog (settings) above the power button on the "start" (Windows) button, click update and security, view update history. If you click on check for updates it should download and install any updates then give you an option to restart

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Could try some things from here :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/class-not-registered-windows-10-edge/b4f5e1e6-94cf-4c4b-9146-2e0fe68cebd6

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Could always download chrome or firefox! Hi Mike thx for the reply. Yeah that's exactly the same Banner I saw just wanted confirmation that it was Microsoft ;)

My power button normally 2 options Restart and Shut Down but when updates are available these 2 options change to 4 so the first 2 are standard as above the second 2 are update/restart or update and shut down so that may be a new feature I used the update and shut down last night and it only took 30 secs to update and shut down no indication on screen to say how far the progress of the updates had gone though which is a downside imho :) Thx again Mike ATB

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

And there's more nothing to do with Windows as such on my old compute stick WIndows 8.1 for over a year I used 360 total security and its been really good and all updates are free any way long story short I download the version of 360 for Windows 10 it's very slow to do a scan well around 2 mins 20 secs and the scanning wheel some times really drags then speeds up. But the main problem is I have had 2 360 updates (new versions) and where the version number should be bottom left of that window is says upgrade now which means they want you to pay unless they have moved it there as it used to be at the very top of the window but there still should be the current version displayed Just wondering if on Windows 10 after a few free versions of 360 they wont be giving out any more free versions. I have emailed 360 via the scanning window and await their reply, while I am waiting any one know about the slow scanning problem and free new versions? TIA :) ATB

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

I just noticed the Widows :) LOL I have corrected it but it's not changed all posts just my opening post lol what was I thinking :roflmao: ATB

mike83
28-05-18, 21:05
Hi Mike thx for the reply. Yeah that's exactly the same Banner I saw just wanted confirmation that it was Microsoft ;)

My power button normally 2 options Restart and Shut Down but when updates are available these 2 options change to 4 so the first 2 are standard as above the second 2 are update/restart or update and shut down so that may be a new feature I used the update and shut down last night and it only took 30 secs to update and shut down no indication on screen to say how far the progress of the updates had gone though which is a downside imho :) Thx again Mike ATB

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

And there's more nothing to do with Windows as such on my old compute stick WIndows 8.1 for over a year I used 360 total security and its been really good and all updates are free any way long story short I download the version of 360 for Windows 10 it's very slow to do a scan well around 2 mins 20 secs and the scanning wheel some times really drags then speeds up. But the main problem is I have had 2 360 updates (new versions) and where the version number should be bottom left of that window is says upgrade now which means they want you to pay unless they have moved it there as it used to be at the very top of the window but there still should be the current version displayed Just wondering if on Windows 10 after a few free versions of 360 they wont be giving out any more free versions. I have emailed 360 via the scanning window and await their reply, while I am waiting any one know about the slow scanning problem and free new versions? TIA :) ATB

Because this is a big update (I suspect) I think it might be best to go to settings and update and security and press check for updates button, it should install it then and give you the option to restart. For some reason it seems when you go to update and restart it's not fully updating it? If it doesn't work go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and press update now, it will download a program to do the update.

Also when it's finished updating run disk clean up and remove the old version of Windows to get some space back (you can safely tick everything)

They probably changed some things around with 360 security, of course the free versions are still usable with Windows 10. Theres an upgrade button on my anti virus too because I use the free version and they want you to upgrade to the paid version. You can usually find the current version somewhere in the program.

Bigboyuk
29-05-18, 08:48
Because this is a big update (I suspect) I think it might be best to go to settings and update and security and press check for updates button, it should install it then and give you the option to restart. For some reason it seems when you go to update and restart it's not fully updating it? If it doesn't work go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and press update now, it will download a program to do the update.

Also when it's finished updating run disk clean up and remove the old version of Windows to get some space back (you can safely tick everything)

They probably changed some things around with 360 security, of course the free versions are still usable with Windows 10. Theres an upgrade button on my anti virus too because I use the free version and they want you to upgrade to the paid version. You can usually find the current version somewhere in the program. So the 1308 version is big update!? What I need to ask is when a updated version of windows 10 comes out
I thought any update would automatically 'over' write the previous version? but you are saying no I will have to remove the old version? Yes well aware that the free Antivirus 360 I am using is compatible with my pc it's not the fact that it's saying upgrade now it's where the upgrade is now placed where the version number and new version icon is so that's why I am saying is there no more free versions of this programme? I await their reply. Switched on today and a slide out black banner said Windows couldn't finish off installing the updates please restart your pc which I have done and the updates installing hasn't taken place, Again thx for your reply Mike :) ATB

Bigboyuk
29-05-18, 16:30
Finally all done as I had another Microsoft update blue message so started the update and it took over 1 hr computer restarted several times on it's own. quite a few new features but it took out my internet driver that was a ball ache to fix so called PlusNet who guided me to the WAN RF Comm and just re enabled it hopefully smooth running from now LOL :) Thx every one especially to Mike ;) So any one else had any problems installing this big update? Would like to know. ATB

mike83
30-05-18, 01:24
So the 1308 version is big update!? What I need to ask is when a updated version of windows 10 comes out
I thought any update would automatically 'over' write the previous version? but you are saying no I will have to remove the old version? Yes well aware that the free Antivirus 360 I am using is compatible with my pc it's not the fact that it's saying upgrade now it's where the upgrade is now placed where the version number and new version icon is so that's why I am saying is there no more free versions of this programme? I await their reply. Switched on today and a slide out black banner said Windows couldn't finish off installing the updates please restart your pc which I have done and the updates installing hasn't taken place, Again thx for your reply Mike :) ATB

1803 yeah, it's a new "build" of Windows 10. They compliled a whole new version of Windows including all past updates and add a few new things. It's good because if you want to reinstall Windows you just download the latest build and then you don't have many updates to install, it's a bit like a service pack they used to do with Windows XP/7 . It's also a bit like when they went from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, however they don't call it Windows 10.1 or Windows 10.2 anymore, just increase the build number, its still Windows 10.

Because the update replaces the whole of Windows basically (but should leave your personal settings and documents) you old Windows 10 will be on C:\ called Windows.old, if you run disk clean up it can get rid of the old Windows build which you don't need anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Finally all done as I had another Microsoft update blue message so started the update and it took over 1 hr computer restarted several times on it's own. quite a few new features but it took out my internet driver that was a ball ache to fix so called PlusNet who guided me to the WAN RF Comm and just re enabled it hopefully smooth running from now LOL :) Thx every one especially to Mike ;) So any one else had any problems installing this big update? Would like to know. ATB

Not sure what you mean by Internet driver? Was it the wireless lan drivers? Or something to do with the router? The update should preserve your settings so its odd that it messed something up. It's possible a driver could not work with the newer version of Windows I guess.

Bigboyuk
30-05-18, 12:35
1803 yeah, it's a new "build" of Windows 10. They compliled a whole new version of Windows including all past updates and add a few new things. It's good because if you want to reinstall Windows you just download the latest build and then you don't have many updates to install, it's a bit like a service pack they used to do with Windows XP/7 . It's also a bit like when they went from Windows 8.0 to 8.1, however they don't call it Windows 10.1 or Windows 10.2 anymore, just increase the build number, its still Windows 10.

Because the update replaces the whole of Windows basically (but should leave your personal settings and documents) you old Windows 10 will be on C:\ called Windows.old, if you run disk clean up it can get rid of the old Windows build which you don't need anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Not sure what you mean by Internet driver? Was it the wireless lan drivers? Or something to do with the router? The update should preserve your settings so its odd that it messed something up. It's possible a driver could not work with the newer version of Windows I guess.I wondered why they did a complete Windows 10 rebuild, was there too many problems with the previous version? I don't like the way they have a very dark back ground for the top row tabs now and they need to make the tabs (writing) bolder type as even on a 40" wide screen tv you can hardly see various icons. Yeah it was the Wireless Driver which for some reason got disabled while the updates was taking place. I find lots of things seem to get disabled like the volume on catch up tv or You Tube even though they were on full. but everything else seems to be running smoother now. I still rate the device 9 out of 10 it would be 10 out of 10 but some things on the new build of Windows 10 I simply don't like. What I do like is the newly designed task view which now shows the days activity so far this is cool I also like the 2 large size USB ports on it a separate mini USB for power in and a sd card too. The windows 8.1 compute stick had very little connectivity

I have a external HDD 500GB I know sometimes there are limits to the amount of external memory you can add on but as it's a pc in theory would a 500GB HDD be too big? Don't forget it's not a SD card I am using (this is a max of 128GB) So would think via one of the large USB ports I could use my 500GB HDD?? Or would that have a max limit set to 128GB too?ATB

MyNameIsTerry
30-05-18, 12:45
You will be fine with the hard drive. I've been plugging in my 500gb hard drives for many years way before this version of Windows. Mini or full size, used both.

Bigboyuk
30-05-18, 12:53
You will be fine with the hard drive. I've been plugging in my 500gb hard drives for many years way before this version of Windows. Mini or full size, used both. Brill that is good :) So the size limit must only apply to the SD card which is max 128GB Like I said in my previous post like the new layout for the Task View and it can show all the activites for the whole day. What do think of the new Task View? It's basically the same as the tabs along the top row but better in some respects. ATB

mike83
30-05-18, 23:39
I wondered why they did a complete Windows 10 rebuild, was there too many problems with the previous version? I don't like the way they have a very dark back ground for the top row tabs now and they need to make the tabs (writing) bolder type as even on a 40" wide screen tv you can hardly see various icons. Yeah it was the Wireless Driver which for some reason got disabled while the updates was taking place. I find lots of things seem to get disabled like the volume on catch up tv or You Tube even though they were on full. but everything else seems to be running smoother now. I still rate the device 9 out of 10 it would be 10 out of 10 but some things on the new build of Windows 10 I simply don't like. What I do like is the newly designed task view which now shows the days activity so far this is cool I also like the 2 large size USB ports on it a separate mini USB for power in and a sd card too. The windows 8.1 compute stick had very little connectivity

I have a external HDD 500GB I know sometimes there are limits to the amount of external memory you can add on but as it's a pc in theory would a 500GB HDD be too big? Don't forget it's not a SD card I am using (this is a max of 128GB) So would think via one of the large USB ports I could use my 500GB HDD?? Or would that have a max limit set to 128GB too?ATB

It's just what they do when they want to release new features now. They have said there will be no Windows 11, whether they will stick to it I don't know. I think they saw how businesses were sticking to Windows XP for ages after it was "dead" because they had specialised apps that worked on it and upgrading for them meant re-writing the apps or trying to get it working on the new Windows. Home users had some troubles upgrading too with application (and mainly driver) compatability, so if they just keep Windows 10 as the standard platform they avoid those issues.

Try right clicking on desktop, go to personalize, go to colors and turn off transparency effects. You can also click on High contrast settings under related settings, turn it on and choose high contrast white. You can change the colours too.

Yeah you can use any size external hard drive. I think you could use a micro sd higher than 128GB if you wanted, they probably say its the limit as it's all they tested it with, but no reason a 200GB or 256GB shouldn't work really.

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-18, 01:52
Brill that is good :) So the size limit must only apply to the SD card which is max 128GB Like I said in my previous post like the new layout for the Task View and it can show all the activites for the whole day. What do think of the new Task View? It's basically the same as the tabs along the top row but better in some respects. ATB

Limits are usually due to the motherboard or O/S (e.g. higher RAM capability on x64) but large USB's have been around for a long time now and are fine.

You mean the task bar along the bottom of the screen? I don't mind it. It was more the App layout I had to get used to as I went from Windows 7. Black will give better screen colouring anyway as LED's really are about the depth of the black rather than the colours.

Bigboyuk
06-06-18, 10:39
Even after the complete rebuild something is still not right, take for Eg: I came to click on the Edge Browser last night and I got a message on screen saying this class is not registered?? And I couldn't use the browser had to turn off at wall skt then back on again the problem had gone, but it will be back what's causing the browser not to work some times? it's happened a few times prior to the new windows build and once after the new build. Plus on some sites like You Tube and NMP I will get a banner along the bottom of screen saying You Tube or NMP is not responding due to a long script? ATB

Bigboyuk
08-06-18, 15:04
Hi Folks every so often I will get a pop up from my anti virus programme I have installed on my device, it says you may have a malicous virus in my printer driver it shows a block button with the number of seconds counting down to 0 so is it a genuine possible virus or my antivirus scan programme wanting me to upgrade and start paying for the service if it's the latter I will continue to block when I see the message. So anyone had some thing similar pop up warning(s) them of a virus from their security programme (other than the built in one Windows Defender?) ATB

Bigboyuk
23-06-18, 17:54
The other annoying problem I am getting after restarting It doesn't display anything on my tv apart from the Intel Compute Stick page and the loading circle of dots, doesn't happen every time I restart my pc but it does happen I then have to use the power button on the device is this a display driver that's causing this problem? Pretty sure Microsoft when I first had this problem didn't correctly identify the problem. I don't really want to reload the OS And ideas folks TIA :) ATB

Bigboyuk
28-06-18, 12:40
Still waiting for some answers folks. Also newish problem has returned ok where the address bar is there should be a star icon at the end of the address bar today it's not there. so my question is this how many favourites can be stored and is this why there is no icon to store any more? I currently have 14 stored favourites very strange I see Terry has windows 10 too so maybe he can throw some light on it I presume there is max number of favourites you can store but what is that max?? TIA :) ATB

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-18, 03:10
Still waiting for some answers folks. Also newish problem has returned ok where the address bar is there should be a star icon at the end of the address bar today it's not there. so my question is this how many favourites can be stored and is this why there is no icon to store any more? I currently have 14 stored favourites very strange I see Terry has windows 10 too so maybe he can throw some light on it I presume there is max number of favourites you can store but what is that max?? TIA :) ATB

Dave, my broadband has been off for a couple of weeks so couldn't try it out. Fixed now thankfully!

Are you saying you don't have an empty star at the end of the window that has the current page address showing in (next to an address book)?

You can store a lot more than 14. Are you using Edge of IE? You may have to import your favourites from IE to Edge for them to show. And if you've used other browsers, they may not show until you import them too as the file locations (pathways) tend to differ. Not sure about the limits but I've got more than 14.

Is your internet history showing? Or does it fail to load up? If that fails, it might be because of a known problem in Edge where it stops writing data to a file and once you clear it out (clear history) it kickstarts it off again but I'm guessing as this is a problem I've come across only when my history stops working.

Be careful with Edge, if your PC crashes it will fail to reload the last view of your browser and you lose all the open tabs. It's a pain for that and Microsoft aren't going to fix it, idiots.

Douglas N. Jackson
03-01-20, 10:56
I've updated Windows 10 three times and failed twice.When it comes to Windows 10 updates,i think this is a very serious topic, and i've seen a lot of updates fail,all kinds of losses are caused by failure,it's important to know about Windows 10 update problems (https://www.winpwd.com/windows-10-update-problems.html) before doing so.