PDA

View Full Version : holidays

wildlife71
21-07-07, 22:35
Hi troops

greatsite this is my 1st thread so i hope i am doing it right:D . i have had anxiety /depression for as long as i can mind really its certainly a tough call tried many things but its keeping up the momentum with it, and staying focused and positive. my biggest problems with me right now is being stuck in any traffic in my car, normally a certaintainty for A PANIC, then the sudden on rush of needing the loo and thats no a pee!!
My second thing that bothers me the most is going abroad, i have never been in my puff i am 35 years of age now and enough is enough i need that tan!! and exploration of other countries.

Hope to hear from anyone, that if i get back in the page that is if i dont get lost!!:ohmy:

Heather

manmoor
21-07-07, 23:03
Hi Heather,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

stephcatlover
21-07-07, 23:06
Go for the travels - you may find the new and fantastic experiences distract you and you don't have any panics. Sometimes this really wanting to do something can help overcome anxieties and fears. Take what works for you at home - paper bag, rescue remedy, pix of loved ones, relaxation tape - whatever does it for you. Remember - 'you are your own safe person and place ' wherever you are - a panic/anxiety abroad, if it happens is as foul as at home - but also as harmless. I've travelled all over despite years of panic attacks and awful fear of flying (my GP does prescribe me tranx for long haul flying, don't know if I could do it without) and believe me if I can do it you can. And remember you can log onto this site anywhere in the world. Let us know how you do, enjoy yourself in this beautiful world of ours and take care
stephcatlover

groovygranny
22-07-07, 00:22
Hello Heather :welcome:to you!

The lovely people on this site have helped me so much with my travel 'eeby jeebies' and I'm sure the same will be said for you before too long!

Until I was poorly I didn't have much more than the ususal fluttery tummy when contemplating air travel in particular. However, since then I've been a blubblering wreck weeks before each time I go. But go I have done - with the help and support of people here.

Pleased to meet you - I'm you'll also get plenty of help and support here!

:flowers:

honeybee3939
22-07-07, 09:19
Hi Heather

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Nibbles
22-07-07, 12:31
Hi Heather and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while meeting some new friends along the way. I find travelling difficult too but am hopeful that as I build up my confidence I'll be able to overcome this. Lots of other people find holidays difficult too so you're definitely not alone. When you're stuck in traffic have you tried distraction techniques to keep your mind busy? For example you could try and think of a country beginning with each letter of the alphabet.

Take care and see you around,

panicdiva
22-07-07, 13:37
Hello & welcome,

I sooooo know how you feel, I really do. I used to love flying, & love going on holiday. I still do if I'm honest (well holiday bit), but every single time I end up a wreck before we go. We just came back on Monday from Centre Parcs. It was a 5hr drive from our house to Sherwood Forest, mostly on the motorway. I am like you in that I am literally terrified of being stuck in traffic. On the motorway, there is no way out, you just have to sit there, & that is what terrifies me. If you read my thread about being away last week, you will see that I really did struggle with anxiety. However, I stayed for a full week, & sometimes even enjoyed myself.

I have come to realise that this anxiety & panic is now part of who I am, so if I want to still go on holiday, & I do, then I will just have to put up with the anxiety. I have been through it often enough now to know, that although the feelings are really scary, nothing bad really happens & I always get through it, & I actually do enjoy myself despite the panic monster being on holiday with me.

So my advice is this: keep coming to this forum, you will get soooo much advice, and sooooo much support, so you will be able to go wherever you want on holiday, it is worth it, despite all the negative feelings that go with it.

purplehaze
25-07-07, 10:38
The main thing is to remember that your comfort zone is all in your head and no matter where you go, you can take that comfort zone with you.

Fall Out Boy
25-07-07, 10:40
Welcome to the forum, Heather!:yesyes:

Southern_Belle
25-07-07, 18:03
Hi Heather,

Welcome to the site. I used to have trouble traveling and still do sometimes but have tried to overcome it. Usually before I have to fly so many people on here comfort me and it helps so much. You will find you are not alone and many here will feel like you do. The support you will get is amazing.

Laura :)

honeybee3939
25-07-07, 18:46
Hi Heather

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make some new friends:smile: .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxx

nomorepanic
25-07-07, 19:27
Hi Heather

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I have problems driving as well so can sympathise with you on that one!

Hope we can be of some help.

Pink Princess
27-07-07, 19:38
hey and welcome to the site, hope to catch you around sometime xxxx

take kare xxx