PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about breathing

Ricyle29
19-05-18, 08:55
Hi all, I’ve recently been suffering with panic attacks (last 4 weeks) and it’s been tough to say the least. This week mainly I’m constantly thinking about my breathing - as soon as I wake up I’m checking on my breathing (stomach going up and down, and breath out of my mouth) when I don’t think about it my mind snaps into thinking I’m not breathing properly and that’s causes panic. Does anyone suffer from this? If so any tips? It’s driving me insane!!

Bigboyuk
19-05-18, 11:12
Hi Ricyle just a tip you have posted in the Onlineshop section of NMP, so may not get any replies ask a mod to move it to a more relevant section so it gets more views :) And welcome aboard :) ATB

nomorepanic
19-05-18, 12:36
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Ricyle29
19-05-18, 13:02
Opps thanks for letting me know bigboyuk! Sorry new to this today :)

actualWeeaboo
19-05-18, 18:23
I'm sorry about your panic attacks fam, I know it's tough! ;~;

It's not quite the same thing, but anxiety causes me check my breathing when I'm worried about other 'symptoms' I get. I've been going through a phase at the moment where I feel like I'm breathing quite shallow, but don't really panic about it unless there's something else I'm concerned about that I think is causing it.

If I think I'm not breathing properly, I'll first check to see if it's just my nose being blocked. Usually, that's actually the problem, but then I try to regulate breathing through my mouth, and that can still be really upsetting and frustrating even without getting panic attacks about it because I always try to breathe as deep as I can... .w.

Are you able to distract yourself with anything at all to try and help? And I don't really know if it WOULD help, but have you considered even attempting calming breathing techniques that you DO need to focus on to try and feel a bit better, like some form of simple meditation where you breathe in a regulated pattern? I understand that sort of thing might not necessarily be that helpful, but if you're already focusing on breathing, maybe it might help your mind understand that you're breathing just fine!

Ricyle29
20-05-18, 18:07
I'm sorry about your panic attacks fam, I know it's tough! ;~;

It's not quite the same thing, but anxiety causes me check my breathing when I'm worried about other 'symptoms' I get. I've been going through a phase at the moment where I feel like I'm breathing quite shallow, but don't really panic about it unless there's something else I'm concerned about that I think is causing it.

If I think I'm not breathing properly, I'll first check to see if it's just my nose being blocked. Usually, that's actually the problem, but then I try to regulate breathing through my mouth, and that can still be really upsetting and frustrating even without getting panic attacks about it because I always try to breathe as deep as I can... .w.

Are you able to distract yourself with anything at all to try and help? And I don't really know if it WOULD help, but have you considered even attempting calming breathing techniques that you DO need to focus on to try and feel a bit better, like some form of simple meditation where you breathe in a regulated pattern? I understand that sort of thing might not necessarily be that helpful, but if you're already focusing on breathing, maybe it might help your mind understand that you're breathing just fine!

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah it’s kind of the same however it seems to be the main worry for me at the moment. I have downloaded mindfulness so am giving that a go at the moment. It does help but I can’t seem to relax my body so it’s proving difficult! Will keep going with it!

I am 29 years old male and haven’t had anything like this before so it’s very strange it’s just come on - not sure what triggers it :( I know it’s just my mind as when I keep busy I’m okay but can’t keep busy all the time! Also umming and erring about taking sertraline that I’ve been prescribed! I know I should take it but worried it will make me really anxious to begin with as part of one of the side effects!