PDA

View Full Version : Walking

Kroko
22-07-07, 10:57
Hello!

I have agoraphobia (among other things), it's been so severe that I used to not be able to go fifty meters from home. Anyway, I've made progress and today I'm able to go some places. I'm wondering if anyone else is like me and finds walking somewhere more difficult than going by car or public transport? If I have to walk a long distance it feels impossible as I start feeling really panicky. This has not to do with laziness, and I'm fit enough to walk. Nowadays I can walk maybe one and a half kilometers without starting to feel like I have to run back to my safe place. It's easier with a "safe" person but even then it's really hard. Recently I've travelled fairly long distances (long by my current standards) in cars and public transport though, the easiest for me is going by car as a passenger (I don't even have a driver's license and if I did I'd be too scared to drive).

Lindalou64
22-07-07, 13:38
hello kroko, i believe walking as you say makes you feel panicky more so than a car for the reason a car you can get there quicker...any where it would be i feel that way sometimes...when get into a waliking routine i usually go to a track and walk that...or just take small walks around the neighborhood..i know its hard..do you have tracks where you are...or walking paths?? wish ya the best....linda

Ellen70
22-07-07, 16:07
Hello Kroko,

I can drive on my own up to 10-15 miles from home - my safe place - but I can't walk any length at all, if I am walking the moment I lose visual sight of my house I start to panic. I feel safer in the car because you get places fast and you are in a vehicle and not out in the wide open world like you are when you are walking.

I live in the countryside so no one thinks it odd that I drive everywhere as everyone has to drive to get to shops etc

1.5km is a long distance to be able to walk on your own, I could only dream of walking that far on my own. Well done.

Ellen

darkangel
22-07-07, 16:37
Hi there

I used to be like that too, it took me all my time to walk from room to room around my house. Eventually I managed outside and would walk to the end of my path, then gradually get further and further - used to monitor it by lampposts. It was just another fear, so with continued practice it has got better - Im still apprehensive but I can now go up the town centre myself and walk around for up to an hour! Im also just back from holidaying abroad and walked more than I thought I could. Its still scary but slowly Im facing up to it.

Keep up with the practice and in time it will become so familiar that you will be walking further and further without giving it much thought.

Good luck and keep going.................

Kroko
22-07-07, 19:38
do you have tracks where you are...or walking paths?? wish ya the best....linda

Yes actually there are plenty of good walkways here so I certainly have the chance to practice.

Hello Kroko,

I can drive on my own up to 10-15 miles from home - my safe place - but I can't walk any length at all, if I am walking the moment I lose visual sight of my house I start to panic. I feel safer in the car because you get places fast and you are in a vehicle and not out in the wide open world like you are when you are walking.

I live in the countryside so no one thinks it odd that I drive everywhere as everyone has to drive to get to shops etc

1.5km is a long distance to be able to walk on your own, I could only dream of walking that far on my own. Well done.

I also used to panic even on my way to the mailbox, going to the nearest shop which was like 200 meters away was impossible, it was as if there was an invisible wall that I couldn't get past, a point which seemed impossible for me to cross, despite trying so hard. Today that distance is quite easy for me, and I used to think my situation was somehow worse than others' and that I'd never go anywhere for the rest of my life. Even a couple of months ago I couldn't imagine ever taking the tram downtown, for instance, but I somehow gathered the courage to face that fear, even though it wasn't easy, and now while that still feels hard I just keep at it. I want to conquer walking next. Right now the 1.5 km is only to a place I've been many times before, I can't go anywhere else that far.

Im also just back from holidaying abroad and walked more than I thought I could. Its still scary but slowly Im facing up to it.

Wow, that's great! My dad has invited me over to the UK, I'd love to go there again some day, last time I was there was in 2003. The idea of going to another country scares me to no end at the moment though.