PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram withdrawal OK to stop the wean?

Daisybun
22-07-07, 14:29
Hi everyone
Well just when you thought everything was Ok with the world things start to go wrong again!
I have managed to drop two tablets over the last few months but just over a week ago I noticed that I was beginning to feel a bit anxious and panicky again, some of the physical symptoms like racing heart, shaking, lump in the throat, and needing the loo every hour have returned.
I have decided to take the full dose again, will it mean that it will take a few weeks to feel the full effect again, or will I need more this time?
Anyone else been in the same position? I feel so angry that i tried to stop, I loved the feeling of being me without anxir=ety and enjoying my life, now I feel like I am slipping down again and it scares me that I won't feel well again.:blush:

mkeeley
25-07-07, 05:00
Hi

Depends how much you reduced you dosage by, if it was only by a small amount then it won't take as long for it to build up again than if you've reduced it by a lot. You may feel more anxious for a bit now you've increase your dosage again.

Perhaps you tapered off too quickly? You should talk to your doctor about a schedule, but basically you reduce your dosage by a very small amount, give your body time to get used to that reduced dosage and repeat. So something like a quater of a tablet, or even an eighth, every few weeks (don't know what dose you were on).

You can feel increased anxiety for a couple of reasons, your body getting used to the reduced dosage, withdrawal symptoms, or the amount of medication is simply no longer sufficient to deal with your anxiety.

Out of interest why did you decide to stop if the med was working?

Daisybun
27-07-07, 17:15
Hi Marc
I decided to stop so that I could carry on without meds but it was obviously not possible at the moment. My dr suggested every other day reduction but I just did one 20mg tablet per week reduction, then went to two a few weeks ago.
It may be that my body just isn't ready yet.
Thanks for your reply

Dave777
27-07-07, 19:53
Hi mate, thinking of you, if I can help just PM :flowers: xx