PDA

View Full Version : Brain eating amoeba from neti pot

anxietyisreal
20-05-18, 05:27
Hi all,

I’m a 23 year old female living in Philly. On Monday I used my neti pot with tap water and no salt without thinking. It hurt really bad (duh) and then I googled it and found out about the brain eating amoeba. I’ve used it before with tap water + saline but never just tap water... I was out of saline and for some reason thought I could just put water up my nose like an idiot. I now know you aren’t supposed to do that OR use tap water... Anyway I have EXTREME anxiety disorder issues and I cannot let go of this. I worry about health problems a lot but this one just seems like the absolute worst and most real for some reason. I’m freaking the **** out. It’s now day 5 - I feel a weird tingling between my eyebrows and go in and out of nauseousness. Sometimes my temples ache too. I check to see if my neck is stiff by moving it forward and backward like every five minutes so I’m sure that’s creating some tension in my head. I’m SO terrified of the brain eating amoeba and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I know the chances are low but I just feel literally sick with anxiety and I’m so scared I’m about to die. Oh, also now the bottom of my tongue is irritated and slightly swollen and it’s just adding to my fears. My chest also feels heavy and hurts. I feel like I’m losing it. :weep:

ServerError
20-05-18, 09:50
What help have you had/are you having for your severe anxiety disorder?

WiseMonkey
20-05-18, 10:21
Hi all,

I’m a 23 year old female living in Philly. On Monday I used my neti pot with tap water and no salt without thinking. It hurt really bad (duh) and then I googled it and found out about the brain eating amoeba. I’ve used it before with tap water + saline but never just tap water... I was out of saline and for some reason thought I could just put water up my nose like an idiot. I now know you aren’t supposed to do that OR use tap water... Anyway I have EXTREME anxiety disorder issues and I cannot let go of this. I worry about health problems a lot but this one just seems like the absolute worst and most real for some reason. I’m freaking the **** out. It’s now day 5 - I feel a weird tingling between my eyebrows and go in and out of nauseousness. Sometimes my temples ache too. I check to see if my neck is stiff by moving it forward and backward like every five minutes so I’m sure that’s creating some tension in my head. I’m SO terrified of the brain eating amoeba and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I know the chances are low but I just feel literally sick with anxiety and I’m so scared I’m about to die. Oh, also now the bottom of my tongue is irritated and slightly swollen and it’s just adding to my fears. My chest also feels heavy and hurts. I feel like I’m losing it. :weep:

Even with anxiety, your common sense should tell you that this is utter nonsense. You're mind is creating a fantasy that doesn't exist!

I second what ServerError asks you.

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 10:40
Yes totally agree with the others If you have severe HA issues it's time to get help A.S.A.P A lot of this extra anxiety is coming from dr Google so try and stop or cut back on these fruitless and pointless searches ;) ATB

Fishmanpa
20-05-18, 12:49
I lived in Philly. You can smell the chlorine in the water from the other room when you turn on the tap! No way, no how!

I agree with the previous posts as well.

Positive thoughts

PS... GO IGGLES!

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 12:50
With Chlorine present there is no risk atall it's '0' Nil Zero what ever you want to call it lol. You have extreme HA which needs to be addressed :) ATB

nomorepanic
20-05-18, 13:30
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

WiredIncorrectly
20-05-18, 19:17
What did I just read? Do yourself a huge favour and stop Googling. I don't mean this rude, honestly. But you have to stop. Anxiety is like a nail biting habit. While you have the habit you think it's impossible to live without the habit, but once you learn you can you stop doing it and completely forget about it. I am a victim of anxiety too and I know your struggle. There is a point when you have to look at your anxiety and say "I need help".

<3

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 20:03
What did I just read? Do yourself a huge favour and stop Googling. I don't mean this rude, honestly. But you have to stop. Anxiety is like a nail biting habit. While you have the habit you think it's impossible to live without the habit, but once you learn you can you stop doing it and completely forget about it. I am a victim of anxiety too and I know your struggle. There is a point when you have to look at your anxiety and say "I need help".

<3So true WIC so true :) ATB

anxietyisreal
20-05-18, 20:13
Thanks everyone. Your replies are so helpful but even so I start to hamster wheel again... regardless, I’m relieved to be able to come on here for some comfort

Bigboyuk
20-05-18, 20:29
Thanks everyone. Your replies are so helpful but even so I start to hamster wheel again... regardless, I’m relieved to be able to come on here for some comfortNp anxietyisreal :) yes that's normal as you are still in the HA cycle but there are ways to combat it and make it easier to deal with, these are the keys to success in getting better:yesyes: ATB

anxietyisreal
09-06-18, 22:15
I am happy to report I didn't get the brain eating amoeba... I am completely out of the symptoms zone and feel quite relieved. I am going to a new therapist in about an hour and hopefully can get ahold of my anxiety. Thank you everyone for helping me!

paranoid-viking
09-06-18, 23:41
I cant believe people are googling brain eating amoebas. Just cant believe it. The only place on earth I have ever read about this nonsene is on FMP. NOWHERE ELSE! Where do people google up this nonsene. First time I read about this in here I thought someone was trolling. Seriously:mad:
Do you really walk around and talk about this nonsense to yur own family members and others? What about putting yourself in THEIR shoes and maybe....just maybe you realise how utterly beyond riddicilous this is instead of posting and extremely long post about this nonsense.

Bigboyuk
10-06-18, 10:08
I am happy to report I didn't get the brain eating amoeba... I am completely out of the symptoms zone and feel quite relieved. I am going to a new therapist in about an hour and hopefully can get ahold of my anxiety. Thank you everyone for helping me! Well what can I say ar The told ya so gang just knew deep down that you were fine and not seriously ill;) please keep us updated on the new therapist front! I would be interested to hear more :) ATB

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

I cant believe people are googling brain eating amoebas. Just cant believe it. The only place on earth I have ever read about this nonsene is on FMP. NOWHERE ELSE! Where do people google up this nonsene. First time I read about this in here I thought someone was trolling. Seriously:mad:
Do you really walk around and talk about this nonsense to yur own family members and others? What about putting yourself in THEIR shoes and maybe....just maybe you realise how utterly beyond riddicilous this is instead of posting and extremely long post about this nonsense. Me neither! While there is this condition (it's very rare) I think some people (not saying this is the case on this thread!) probably get pleasure from posting extreme stuff like this on a public forum to see what attention they can get, hence you thought maybe a troll!! But there again who knows what the HA sufferer mind can think of, even in extreme cases you just never know. ATB

SkyBlue252
10-06-18, 12:37
Well I guess water where yoh live is treated..so chances are low. There's quite a lot of plastic fragments in plastic bottles so they say..

I think you may have something similar to me Google induced Health Anxiety.

I live in a rural area with spring water. I boil the water for 5 or 10 minutes then allow to cool so its not too hot.

If I run out of sea salt I boil water with ginger, then once cooled down a bit chop 2 or 3 cloves of garlic into small pieces then leave in the saucepan, I like to wait for 15 minutes,you don't have to. I want all what's in the garlic to come out.

You can use a strainer and put it straight into the neti pot or bottle or put in another saucepan first. You don't want a clove up your nose,

It helps me with warm water, but still prefer saline salt. I sometimes combine them with sea salt.

After you finished, swollow the garlic and ginger with a mug of water...it's good for you and you wont tastd the garlic much..

paranoid-viking
12-06-18, 19:57
Well I guess water where yoh live is treated..so chances are low. There's quite a lot of plastic fragments in plastic bottles so they say..

I think you may have something similar to me Google induced Health Anxiety.

I live in a rural area with spring water. I boil the water for 5 or 10 minutes then allow to cool so its not too hot.

If I run out of sea salt I boil water with ginger, then once cooled down a bit chop 2 or 3 cloves of garlic into small pieces then leave in the saucepan, I like to wait for 15 minutes,you don't have to. I want all what's in the garlic to come out.

You can use a strainer and put it straight into the neti pot or bottle or put in another saucepan first. You don't want a clove up your nose,

It helps me with warm water, but still prefer saline salt. I sometimes combine them with sea salt.

After you finished, swollow the garlic and ginger with a mug of water...it's good for you and you wont tastd the garlic much..

It is not "low". It is ZUB ZERO NONE! You are giving a rational answer to a totally irrational question.