PDA

View Full Version : Uptick in Health Anxiety due to Travel

IreneRumi
21-05-18, 15:28
The good news is that I've generally been doing a lot better, and have seen a vast reduction in symptoms. I even hiked a mountain this weekend!

However, next week my partner and I travel via plane to Scotland for a friend's wedding and holiday. I'm having increasing nervous thoughts about the plane ride, being in another country, etc. and if "something" were to happen while we were there or on the plane. Especially on the plane - partly because I caught a glimpse a few weeks ago of a headline about a young woman who died of a pulmonary embolism on a plane, and blood clots are my primary fear. :weep:

Trying to do my best to distract myself but any advice on reassuring myself that the trip will be just fine would be helpful. I know logically that the likelihood of something catastrophic happening is tiny, and I've been declared healthy by my doctors months ago after extensive tests, but the normal trip anxiety is combining with the health anxiety and making things difficult.

IreneRumi
22-05-18, 14:22
Well I bought travel insurance which includes emergency medical coverage... made me feel a little better :wacko:

Still struggling though. Been getting pressure feelings in my chest and a sore neck , which is classic anxiety for me, as well as studying every finger and toe and spot on my body for anything "abnormal." I'm really worried about panicking on the plane...

Help!

IreneRumi
23-05-18, 14:12
Anyone else? Butterflies in my stomach about the flight on Saturday and I can't stop picturing all kinds of health-related disasters. :(

Librella
23-05-18, 16:55
I also get scared about health disasters happening on a plane. Bring a good book, podcast, or something else to distract you on the flight. And try to sleep if you can. I also recommend taking a decongestent about an hour before boarding the plane because that will help with sinus pain and pressure (which you'll think is an embolism if you're anything like me!) Blood clots are unlikely if you do not have a preexisting condition and it's a flight 10 hours or less, and you can prevent it just by walking around the plane a few times and doing some leg stretches in your seat. Also walk around as much as you can in the airport before boarding.

IreneRumi
23-05-18, 17:31
Thank you so much for responding and the tips! I don't have any pre-existing conditions (as far as you know, says anxiety...) and in the past have gone on planes completely anxiety-free. Logically I know that everything will be fine, but it still helps to have some things I can do to "prepare" myself. Going to pick up a couple good books too. Just need a way to silence my brain from conjuring nightmare scenarios!