PDA

View Full Version : Fat Loss = Anxiety Or...?

ThroatGoat
21-05-18, 17:44
One of the most worrying things that seems to be happening to me at the moment is fat loss. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this as part of their anxiety symptoms?

I still don't feel right (see my thread in the throat sub-forum for more if you wish) weak, fatigued, tired etc. and I notice I'm losing weight. But since I seem to be getting skinnier and more veiny, I can only assume it's fat that I'm losing.

Benign? Could it be because I'm so tense/anxious that I'm burning extra calories or something? I've been trying to eat more, and am still losing weight.

I was between 146-153 lbs depending on the day and what I was wearing, I'm now down to 141 lbs wearing jeans and a t-shirt. This is borderline underweight for someone my height according to the various BMI tools. :scared15:

Any thought helps or comments? Much appreciated!

Scass
21-05-18, 18:49
I always lose weight when I’m in an anxiety spiral, and I think you’re in one too at the moment aren’t you?
Are you eating differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ankietyjoe
21-05-18, 19:10
How many calories do you eat in a day?

It's not the be all and end all to weight loss or gain, but it's a good indicator.

Pkstracy
21-05-18, 19:21
Anxiety can make you loose weight.

ThroatGoat
21-05-18, 20:09
I always lose weight when I’m in an anxiety spiral, and I think you’re in one too at the moment aren’t you?
Are you eating differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely in a spiral right now! :roflmao:

I'm glad it could be anxiety related, but it's still worrying me.

I'm actually trying to eat more, because I'm worried I'm getting too thin/skinny and underweight.

It doesn't help that I've still got the throat issues, chills, night sweats, tiredness and fatigue too. Can't shake the idea something more sinister is going on. :doh:

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

How many calories do you eat in a day?

It's not the be all and end all to weight loss or gain, but it's a good indicator.

No idea, I'm not limiting calories any more than normal though, if anything I'm trying to eat more and still losing weight/fat.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Anxiety can make you loose weight.

That's reassuring, thank you! :D

ankietyjoe
21-05-18, 20:16
Well it's a good idea to keep a food diary, at least some kind of record of what you're eating if you're losing weight. While anxiety can make you lose weight, it's more often because you're not eating as much.

ssssmufc
21-05-18, 21:02
Well it's a good idea to keep a food diary, at least some kind of record of what you're eating if you're losing weight. While anxiety can make you lose weight, it's more often because you're not eating as much.I'm definitely eating more, and still losing weight. It mostly seems to be fat, because I'm looking veinier than normal.

ThroatGoat

ThroatGoat from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

ThroatGoat
21-05-18, 22:23
Yesterday I ate:

1 egg, and 2 slices of toast.
A Mars bar (bad!)
1 lamb chop with mash and veg
Then had a chicken sandwich with some salad
Some wine too (a crutch that is also causing me more anxiety I know)

I'm fairly sure that should have been calories to not have lost any weight, but I was down another 1/2lb this morning.

Pkstracy
22-05-18, 04:08
You've had blood work done and such?

ankietyjoe
22-05-18, 10:55
Yesterday I ate:

1 egg, and 2 slices of toast.
A Mars bar (bad!)
1 lamb chop with mash and veg
Then had a chicken sandwich with some salad
Some wine too (a crutch that is also causing me more anxiety I know)

I'm fairly sure that should have been calories to not have lost any weight, but I was down another 1/2lb this morning.

Depending on portion size that's probably somewhere between 1700-2000 calories, and if you're anxious that's only borderline weight maintenance levels of calories. If you're active and walk/move a lot too, even more so.

I would try adding some healthy fats to your diet too (nuts, seeds, avocado etc) as they're calorie dense and very good for the CNS too. See how that goes.

ThroatGoat
22-05-18, 13:00
You've had blood work done and such?

Sure did! They done about 12 different tests in total, all came back fine.

Depending on portion size that's probably somewhere between 1700-2000 calories, and if you're anxious that's only borderline weight maintenance levels of calories. If you're active and walk/move a lot too, even more so.

I would try adding some healthy fats to your diet too (nuts, seeds, avocado etc) as they're calorie dense and very good for the CNS too. See how that goes.

Interesting! Thanks for your reply Joe. It seems like I'm eating more, but perhaps not. Will try to track my calories this week and see what I discover. Will kick myself if I've been losing weight/fat and it's because I'm not eating enough. :doh:

I usually maintain my weight pretty well without managing/counting calories, so adding more food into my diet and still losing some weight is freaking me out a bit.

Will post an update at the end of the week. :yesyes:

ankietyjoe
22-05-18, 17:01
It would be really easy to add 500-600 calories a day eating nuts and avocado. If you do that (and don't lower what you eat the rest of the day) and you still lose weight then maybe go and see the Doctor.

It's unlikely to be anything sinister tbh, I know that when I had bad anxiety my appetite went way down and I just didn't eat as much. Being a few hundred calories a day in deficit will make you lose weight for sure.

ThroatGoat
22-05-18, 17:42
It would be really easy to add 500-600 calories a day eating nuts and avocado. If you do that (and don't lower what you eat the rest of the day) and you still lose weight then maybe go and see the Doctor.

It's unlikely to be anything sinister tbh, I know that when I had bad anxiety my appetite went way down and I just didn't eat as much. Being a few hundred calories a day in deficit will make you lose weight for sure.

I do cook with avocado oil, but might try and add some guacamole or something into my diet to get some more.

So far I've only had about 500 cals or so I'm guessing, so yeah I'm going to be losing weight!

Fish and vegetables for dinner, will cook the fish in butter and avocado oil.

I've been doctor and mentioned I'm losing weight but not a lot and they seemed unconcerned. That plus about 12 different blood tests all being fine makes me think it's all in my head. Still getting symptoms though. :wacko:

Pkstracy
22-05-18, 18:54
I have been in a funk for a month, bad depression, my anxiety and depression has caused me not to want to eat, I am barley on most days getting 1000 calories, some days maybe been doing this for a month, I am dropping weight, we are chalking it up to me being depressed and anxious, haven't had a full meal in almost two months, I did have a big meal last week at my mother in laws but since then, nothing, I am sure it's just anxiety, since you say you have had blood work done and tests and everything came back fine, when we are anxious our adrenaline kicks in high gear, also you burn calories from breathing and even resting, there is a online calculator that tells you how many calories you burn while resting, I think I burn like, if the calculator is correct, I burn 1771.20 calories while sleeping at night, and if I sit at my desk for five hours, typing, writing etc I burn 2952 calories, so if you aren't taking in more calories than you are burning, you are going to loose weight, and yes you can loose muscle if you aren't getting enough protein. I am not sure how tall you are or what you weigh right now, but if you aren't meeting your daily requirement, you will loose weight, right now I should be eating 2,317 calories a day to be healthy and still loose one pound a week, as I stated I am maybe only getting 1000 calories some days maybe 1200 and my weight is dropping, so if you aren't meeting your requirement yeah you're going to loose fast.

ThroatGoat
22-05-18, 19:43
I have been in a funk for a month, bad depression, my anxiety and depression has caused me not to want to eat, I am barley on most days getting 1000 calories, some days maybe been doing this for a month, I am dropping weight, we are chalking it up to me being depressed and anxious, haven't had a full meal in almost two months, I did have a big meal last week at my mother in laws but since then, nothing, I am sure it's just anxiety, since you say you have had blood work done and tests and everything came back fine, when we are anxious our adrenaline kicks in high gear, also you burn calories from breathing and even resting, there is a online calculator that tells you how many calories you burn while resting, I think I burn like, if the calculator is correct, I burn 1771.20 calories while sleeping at night, and if I sit at my desk for five hours, typing, writing etc I burn 2952 calories, so if you aren't taking in more calories than you are burning, you are going to loose weight, and yes you can loose muscle if you aren't getting enough protein. I am not sure how tall you are or what you weigh right now, but if you aren't meeting your daily requirement, you will loose weight, right now I should be eating 2,317 calories a day to be healthy and still loose one pound a week, as I stated I am maybe only getting 1000 calories some days maybe 1200 and my weight is dropping, so if you aren't meeting your requirement yeah you're going to loose fast.

That sounds awful. :weep:

I'm at about 8 weeks with whatever's wrong with me, and my appetite seems to have returned and I'm eating more - or thought I was - but still losing weight.

I think the simple thing might be like you and Joe have mentioned, I probably just ain't getting the required cals. It's bound to be something stupid like that considering the state I've worked myself into. :doh:

Got one more appointment to make this week, and if that goes well and I'm still feeling funky then I'm going to figure out my next move after that.

ssssmufc
23-05-18, 00:28
Decided to check my throat, seems like the redness is getting progressively worse still.

Also seem to be getting slightly horse, unless I'm imagining it. [emoji55]

ThroatGoat from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

ThroatGoat
28-05-18, 22:58
Not sure why I posted that last update in this thread and not the throat one.... But anyway! I thought I'd better update this one with a positive development on the weight/fat loss thing.

It seems like the weight/fat loss has stopped! I still look skinnier/more veiny than usual, but I seem to be putting some weight back on again.

Just didn't want to leave this thread hanging there without an update. :)

Pkstracy
29-05-18, 05:54
That is good news, let me guess you added a bit more calories and aren't as anxious

ThroatGoat
29-05-18, 15:03
That is good news, let me guess you added a bit more calories and aren't as anxious

Extra calories, yes. Less anxious? Maybe not so much. :roflmao:

I think it was just one of those things, because I was worried about the C word I started monitoring it to make sure I wasn't losing any weight. But when I saw 1-2 lbs drop in a day I probably panicked and caused my body problems leading to more weight loss.

Seems like I'm stable or maybe even putting some of the lost weight back on now, so I shouldn't be worrying about it! :yahoo:

I'll probably check it now and then going forward just to be safe, but not making it a habit like I had done. :doh:

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Last weight check: 140lbs. Just so I don't forget. :)

Pkstracy
29-05-18, 23:23
Yay!!!