PDA

View Full Version : Too much radiation

Ananya
23-05-18, 07:47
This last month I had four CTs of my abdomen and pelvic region. Now I am freaking out this will give me cancer. I have hardly had any CTs before. Can someone please help me with my panic. I feel like I am about to die.

WiseMonkey
23-05-18, 08:52
This last month I had four CTs of my abdomen and pelvic region. Now I am freaking out this will give me cancer. I have hardly had any CTs before. Can someone please help me with my panic. I feel like I am about to die.

Well you can stop worrying as you'd get as much radiation when you take a plane trip as you do having A CT or a mammogram. So that really puts it into perspective doesn't it? :)

countrygirl
23-05-18, 09:54
As wisemonkey says. Obviously it is sensible in the future to limit the number of ct scans you have and I always ask if there is a non radiation test that I can have such as mri instead.

I am older (56) and due to spinal problems had alot of x rays in my 20's and 30's and was told the above many years ago. I cannot change the radiation exposure I have already had but I can limit the amount I get if at all possible now and in the future. As I can't change the past no point in worrying about it!

ToasterOvens
23-05-18, 14:59
I echo what everyone else said. Also I assume doctors are watching out for you. If a doctor thought you were getting too much radiation, I think they would switch to something other than a CT scan.

ThroatGoat
23-05-18, 15:49
Is it true that iodine can protect against the radiation?

I'm wondering if some simple supplementation could help here.

ankietyjoe
23-05-18, 16:58
Is it true that iodine can protect against the radiation?

I'm wondering if some simple supplementation could help here.

Help what?

There's nothing to help.

The OP isn't even remotely close to being at any dose of anything that would pose a risk, so why pander to a solution that isn't necessary?