PDA

View Full Version : Osteoporosis drug worry

valleybear
23-05-18, 22:47
I am wondering if anyone on here has been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I fell heavily 11 weeks ago and fractured my pelvis and am only now getting mobile again. I have been for a bone density scan and have been told that I do have osteoporosis. Now comes the health anxiety bit!
I know that the Dr will want me to go on drugs to treat this but I am terrified of the side effects ( and sorry, yes, I have spent days on Google looking them up!)
I am active as a rule and hope to get back to doing all the activities I did before the accident but am now anxious and upset thinking about having to make a decision about drugs that may help but have bad side effects.
If any one has had any experience of this I would be grateful to hear from them as I feel that I am jeopardising my mental health again with this problem
Thank you for reading....

Andrash
23-05-18, 22:53
I am wondering if anyone on here has been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I fell heavily 11 weeks ago and fractured my pelvis and am only now getting mobile again. I have been for a bone density scan and have been told that I do have osteoporosis. Now comes the health anxiety bit!
I know that the Dr will want me to go on drugs to treat this but I am terrified of the side effects ( and sorry, yes, I have spent days on Google looking them up!)
I am active as a rule and hope to get back to doing all the activities I did before the accident but am now anxious and upset thinking about having to make a decision about drugs that may help but have bad side effects.
If any one has had any experience of this I would be grateful to hear from them as I feel that I am jeopardising my mental health again with this problem
Thank you for reading....

By all means take the meds, however, to put your mind at ease, maybe you should speak again with your doctor about side effects (what are the risk factors, who can develop them, are they frequent or rare etc). Since you have a valid reason, it is totally ok to ask.

MyNameIsTerry
24-05-18, 01:32
My mum has osteoporosis and has been taking various medications for it for decades. She's now 79. Her mother had it too. Her mother had it back in the days when it was all new and she unfortunately ended up with some of the problems of not being treated for it (curved spine, which you can avoid with treatment).

Unfortunately this is one you will need to confront because not treating this can lead to plenty of problems later in life.

Side effects are listed with any medication but for many of us they can be quite low key. I think part of the problem for us is that we have tried things like antidepressants which can make you feel quite ill whereas many meds don't have the same extremes that seem common on here.

For instance, I had to start meds for Hypertension recently. I'm onto my 2nd type so far because of side effects. The first was all about lots of itching that antihistamines were needed for. Bearable but annoying other than a few days when the med was reaching it's peak and the itching/stinging was quite bad. The 2nd med did similar but has calmed down a lot more but I had a few days of anxiety that is worse than I normally expect these days. But I got through it because like so many of us on here, and I'm sure you included, we've been through much worse.

valleybear
24-05-18, 09:01
Thank you for your answers. I already take antidepressants, statins and antihypertensives without worrying. The only available drugs for osteoporosis have some common stomach related side effects that I am sure I could cope with. The trouble is that there is a rare, devastating side effect that frightens me so much ( this I know is part of my anxiety issues). I am 74 and still pretty active but I feel that I would have been better not knowing and just continuing to live my life as I am doing. This dilemma threatens to knock me back mentally... already not sleeping and wakening with churning anxiousness.
Thank you both