PDA

View Full Version : Derealization trying to fall asleep

Kelseyyyy244
24-05-18, 00:54
Does anyone have like panic attack derealization sometimes right before falling asleep. I will be so close to falling asleep and suddenly nothing feels real. I feel completely out of it and my heart starts to pound. Usually it starts after these weird racing thought that I can’t control. I’ll hear a song playing in my head and myself thinking of random things. It’s a really uncomfortable feeling and my family all act like I’m insane. Someone please reply!

MyNameIsTerry
24-05-18, 01:50
I think this likely happening during the Hypnagogic sleep stage. We experience all manner of strange sleep phenomena during this and it's actually all quite normal brain functioning. Our brains work quite differently during sleep stages like this and it's quite common to see many of these well known phenomena raised in thread on NMP.

And something with anxiety with sleep is that period of trying to clear our minds to sleep can often result in the mind becoming busier and we start worrying over it.

Fishmanpa
24-05-18, 02:19
It's called dreaming.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
24-05-18, 09:22
It's not dreaming, that happens in a different state of sleep.

As Terry pointed out, there is a period between being awake and being fully asleep and it can be disrupted if you're stressed and/or anxious.

It usually happened to me when I was ill (infection, cold etc), and I would hear voices/shouting sometimes, or my mind would focus on a thought or image that I couldn't get rid of.

It's completely normal though, and nothing to worry about. I usually just recite Birthdays, addresses etc. Something to ground me in reality and just wait for it to pass. It's an uncomfortable feeling, nothing more.

Kelseyyyy244
24-05-18, 14:41
It's called dreaming.

Positive thoughts

Um no I’m awake during it.

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

It's not dreaming, that happens in a different state of sleep.

As Terry pointed out, there is a period between being awake and being fully asleep and it can be disrupted if you're stressed and/or anxious.

It usually happened to me when I was ill (infection, cold etc), and I would hear voices/shouting sometimes, or my mind would focus on a thought or image that I couldn't get rid of.

It's completely normal though, and nothing to worry about. I usually just recite Birthdays, addresses etc. Something to ground me in reality and just wait for it to pass. It's an uncomfortable feeling, nothing more.

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

I think this likely happening during the Hypnagogic sleep stage. We experience all manner of strange sleep phenomena during this and it's actually all quite normal brain functioning. Our brains work quite differently during sleep stages like this and it's quite common to see many of these well known phenomena raised in thread on NMP.

And something with anxiety with sleep is that period of trying to clear our minds to sleep can often result in the mind becoming busier and we start worrying over it.

Oh okay thank you so much.