PDA

View Full Version : Can dental abscesses cause night sweats?

itiswhatitis
24-05-18, 09:46
4 days ago I had some toothache, the next day it started to swell a bit in my mouth (the swelling happened on the roof of my mouth, next to a tooth I know is in bad condition)

I finally got into the dentist yesterday, he checked and prescribed me antibiotics (Amoxycillin) (and in a few weeks I'm having dental work)

Yesterday the swelling also ruptured (foul taste in mouth, the swelling became less hard/more squishy)

I started my antibiotics yesterday and I think they've helped for sure. The swelling this morning is very small (it was the size of a grape at its peak and now it's more like an ulcer) and my pain is minimal (although I've had some pains in my head on the side that the abscess was on?)

BUT when I woke up I was completely drenched in sweat. It was like I'd jumped out of the shower and straight into bed. My body and blankets were drenched.

Is this a normal side effect of the abscess or medication?? I googled a bit a few days ago and scared myself about the idea that these infections can spread and potentially kill you/give you serious diseases. I'm too scared to google to see if the night sweats are normal or a sign that it's spread.

Andrash
24-05-18, 10:40
Abscess is an infection and night sweats are common symptoms of infections so yes, you can definitely get night sweats from these.

itiswhatitis
24-05-18, 17:14
Abscess is an infection and night sweats are common symptoms of infections so yes, you can definitely get night sweats from these.

Yeah I guess guess youre right :) My anxiety is making me worry that it could have spread but I’m trying to think positively. I’ve felt mostly better today apart from my neck gland on the side of the abscess are painful and I still occasionally get head pain still too. But hopefully the antibiotics are working and I’ll be fully good in a few days.