PDA

View Full Version : New to anxiety

Charlottemay
24-05-18, 22:13
Hi I’m Charlotte

I’m very new to this health anxiety/ general Anxiety. Looking for support and advice I guess to get through this horrible rollercoaster. I must admit I was skeptic all of the whole anxiety topic and panic attacks. But after the start of new year I am very much a believer of it all (karmas a bit#ch)
All started over Christmas with a dent in my leg (accidentally fell into a table twice) thought I’d get it checked.... went downhill from there long story short they sent me for an x Ray for suspected osteosarcoma. Thankfully came back fine. Apparently had to rule it out. They put it down to internal scar tissue and it’s slightly better now. Not that’s it noticeable.
Anyway it just escalated from there really with one health worry after the next constant doctors appointments and panic attacks daily, then I was put on sertraline which took a lot of getting used to but I think it’s working maybe. I feel like I have lost all rational thinking and go from fine to panic attack in 5 seconds. It’s awful and I’m a mum to two boys so trying to bottle up away from them and everyone else. My husband is very supportive and helpful.
So my worry at the moment is my hard palate I feel like on the left side near the back of the hard palate I feel a slight hill. Or something to that effect. The doctors and the dentist said everything looks normal and can’t feel or see anything out of the ordinary but it’s taking some time to get over this health worry. The doctor said I could feel a natural contour. Of course I’m an obsessive googler. Dr google is not my friend. But it’s an addiction and I know it makes me worse but I do it anyway.
Anyway sorry for the long post but I feel very alone on this anxiety journey. But I’d be greatfull for any advice. I have uploaded a photo just looking for extra reassurance.
Thank you :)

venusbluejeans
24-05-18, 22:20
Hiya Charlottemay and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Charlottemay
25-05-18, 09:24
Thank you
I hope some others can offer some insight

Scass
25-05-18, 21:55
It all looks normal to me, but I’m not a doctor or dentist - and they have told you it’s fine.
I’m sorry you’re having such a rough time, could your doctor help with your health anxiety?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlottemay
31-05-18, 12:09
Hi thanks for your reply. I’m on a waiting list to have some therapy. And on sertraline 100mg a day. Some days I feel better and tell myself it’s normal and what I can feel is just bone from hard palate and everyone’s is different and varied. But some days I can’t seem to think it’s somethinf very bad.

hanshan
31-05-18, 13:25
Hi Charlottemay - Great news that you are going to get therapy and are having treatment. Health anxiety can be overpowering, and seems to have been triggered by the scans you had on your leg. Testing is just another way of looking at you - it doesn't necessarily imply that anything is wrong.

As for your mouth, the bones in our skull aren't regular - the right side is not a perfect mirror of the left, so one side may project more than the other. Also, I believe that the ridges on the top of the palate are related in evolutionary terms to the gills of fish many millions of years ago. Again, I wouldn't expect the right side to exactly match the left side.

Charlottemay
31-05-18, 21:39
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes those x days scared me I had no idea osteosarcoma was even a possibility. But they had to rule it out I guess. But after that I’ve not been the same. But I think medication is helping and talking to others with similar situations.
I’m trying to think that too. My palate dips differently on each side which isn’t the problem for me. It’s when it comes back up from the dip next the midline ridge at the back of the hard palate I feel like it goes up more forming a slightly different bump or hill than the other side. My guess is, is because both sides aren’t equal. My major worry is minor salivary gland palate cancer. But no one can see anything or feel anything. They simply say it is your palate. So I’m going to try and stop worrying. Everyone’s mouth is different. Right?

hanshan
01-06-18, 00:56
GPs and particularly dentists spend much of their day looking in people's mouths and are trained to detect abnormalities, so if they say your mouth appears normal to them, believe them. The two sides of the head are not mirror images, which can be seen by looking at ID style photos of most people, even famous actors noted for their good looks.

Charlottemay
01-06-18, 13:07
Thank you. You’ve made me feel much better. I’m just going to accept that and move on until the next thing that worries me ��

Drewjames
01-06-18, 17:08
I was the same never really believed it till it happened to me