PDA

View Full Version : Wheezing on one side only and freaking out

LoveyHowell
27-05-18, 00:47
I’ve had an intermittent wheeze for about six months. It’s audible to me. I’ve been to the doctor 4 times and he’s heard it twice. Both times he heard it, it was in the upper right side. He says allergies or something, but wouldn’t that impact both lungs? I had a clear chest x-ray yesterday, but Dr. Google says that many people have a clear chest X-ray and still have lung cancer. I am absolutely terrified that I have lung cancer. Non-smoker, but I’m in my 50s.

Has anyone ever had wheezing that was only heard on one side? Any other words of wisdom?

SarahNah
27-05-18, 00:51
I've had allergies for a long time! I tend to only get wheezing on the left side! I was worried about this but my Doctor said that sometimes it's actually happening on both sides and you're just unable to hear it or that sometimes one area of that body is more effect than the other! Like my left side if way worse and I can only hear it on that side and never on the right.

LoveyHowell
27-05-18, 00:56
Thank you Sarah! I appreciate it! Can your doctor hear it on both sides though? Mine only hears it on one side.

SarahNah
27-05-18, 01:02
Thank you Sarah! I appreciate it! Can your doctor hear it on both sides though? Mine only hears it on one side.

Yeah! My Doctor has hear it on both side and only on one side. It's mainly only ever in the left side. Like she said you can tell a lot by the way someone sounds when they breath like she's very honest with me because she knows how nervous I get over things. So I asked her would she hear something serious and she said most good doctor would be able to tell a lot by the way you breath! So if you're Doctor was worried I really do think they would be looking into this way more!

Also a clear x-ray is a good thing! I know you already know this but there's no point in googling it because of course there's going to be a few missed things sometimes but that's a very small chance already! Plus you never smoked so that brings it down again!

I know it's hard to shift your mind into believing the doctor when thing's seemed to be on going and it's funny for me to tell you to be calm when I'm not very good at that myself :roflmao: But I really think you're okay! :D

LoveyHowell
27-05-18, 01:06
You are so kind. I really appreciate your response. I’ve had my health anxiety under better control for awhile, but I’m a mess now. I have such an important few weeks ahead (daughter graduating and taking her on a trip) and I’m so terrified that I have lung cancer that I’m worried I won’t enjoy a moment of this special time.

SarahNah
27-05-18, 01:12
You are so kind. I really appreciate your response. I’ve had my health anxiety under better control for awhile, but I’m a mess now. I have such an important few weeks ahead (daughter graduating and taking her on a trip) and I’m so terrified that I have lung cancer that I’m worried I won’t enjoy a moment of this special time.

Look at it this way- You've had this for six months? You'd have WAY more issues happening if it was LC and it would have shown up on the x-ray I think anyway!. I know once you get a idea in your head it can near impossible to push away.

Oh! That's lovely news! Congratulations your daughter! I did something like that with my Mam when I graduated from secondary school (That's like highschool in the US!) It's really wonderful getting to spend time like that. Just take some deep breaths and know this is going to be a amazing time. Maybe talk to your GP over the phone one last time if you need that last piece of mind but I think you're in the all clear now hun! :D

ChocoOrange
27-05-18, 03:19
I'm currently getting mauled by allergies too, and I also have very very mild asthma. I've never ever had a central sounding wheeze, it almost always leans one way or the other, typically left in my case (even audibly I always hear it to my left). I'm wheezing a bit to the left now actually. I wouldn't worry about it and try get yourself an antihistamine or something. Maybe what side you sleep on effects it? Allergens settling in your lungs or something? I dunno, I'm completely guessing.

No nurses, asthma or otherwise, have ever showed any specific concern about a wheeze of mine being in a specific location, and neither did your doctor. I think it's just allergy season tbh, don't worry about it and go enjoy your daughter's graduation :). Congratulations btw

LoveyHowell
27-05-18, 03:50
Thank you so much. It’s so reassuring to see that other people have experienced this. Dr. Google makes it sound like it’s 100% lung cancer (of course!). I’ve never had asthma, but I guess it can develop as an adult. The pollen is very high where I live. But it did start in November so maybe that’s not it. Ugghhhh. Anyway, thank you very much!

ChocoOrange
27-05-18, 06:52
Dr. Google has to assume the worst to promote people going to the doctor just incase. You've been and your doctor thinks you're fine, and you've had an x-ray. Give an antihistamine a try at the very least if you haven't:).